Time to commit... [to Mario]

Advertisement
Everyone knows I thought Mammy needed more time and I wasn't so keen on him getting replaced, not that I resented getting Mario, I simply thought we were making progress. I am now fully on board with Mario, even with his obvious flaws. His mistake with GT showed his humanity and seems to have humbled him to some extent. He has and is adding lots of talent and I like what I see with the young players. Unfortunately talent does not make a TEAM but the progression is happening and I like our future. I regret that several long time fans are so frustrated they want to walk away, I'd bet they are just frustrated as the early success falsely lead into imagining we were arrived. As it turns out Texas A&M without Conner is a fraud. I think our win was impressive but created over confidence within our fan base. Many here state it takes time and to give Mario time, I agree. We have a lot of talent, it just hasn't become cohesive as a TEAM yet, but it will and might become fluent sooner than expected. I hope our fan base recognizes the frailty in building a program and recognizes the progress and supports this worthy team by showing up at the Rock Saturday. Now is not the time to dessert this talent but they need to know we are behind them 100%. IT'S GREAT TO BE A MIAMI HURRICANE!
only one slow clap GIF

I’m not in the first row of the MC fan section either but c’mon man…FIU?
1st 3 years at a p5 program:

Manny- 6 games over .500/0-1 bowls
Mario- 16 games over .500/ 2-1 bowls

There are more than a few stats out there against Mario.
Apples to apples wise, this “ain’t” one of them.
OK that fair.

Let's look at another coach that we passed over-Lane. He is 35-20, or 15 games over .500, at second tier SEC teams [Ole Miss and UT]. Oh he was 26-13 at a second division school, FAU. My point has always been that except for a few games Mario has been a very average head coach. His record in the ACC is suggesting that he may be less than that. He is 3-7 against conference teams and has failed to win a home a game against an ACC team. I want him to become great, but the evidence is suggesting that he is not. If we have another 6-6 or 5-7 season it will be hard to suggest otherwise............Go Canes, we need to beat Clemson.

Advertisement
doesnt it make it worse that hes a third time HC and hes 3-7 in conf play and 9-9 overall in his third HC gig off a huge deal. that jimbo atm results.
Can’t argue about the results so far @ Miami. Mario’s overall HC’ing tenure has been a mixed bag. FIU, Oregon, and Miami were/are very different situations with lots of different variables. That’s why I’ve said we can’t predict future results based on past success/failure.

Duke, OU and UW poops on Mario’s 4 year plan
That's the problem I have. Canes always seem to make it harder than it should be. Took us years to get any sort of spread offense (not recognizing the game has changed) when most of college football had it for a decade. Then we hire a coach who thinks it's 1995 and it takes at least 4 years to turn around a program when in reality it can happen by year 2 (because the game has changed). It really doesn't have to be this hard but for some reasons the Canes make it harder than it should be.

Any talk about Mario as anything other than the coach who has improved our team drastically is definitely pre-mature.

Call out the faults and issues we see that we don't love...sure.

But we're in year 2 and look way better than Manny's last year and Mario's first year so far.

No need to panic...YET

Advertisement
Any talk about Mario as anything other than the coach who has improved our team drastically is definitely pre-mature.

Call out the faults and issues we see that we don't love...sure.

But we're in year 2 and look way better than Manny's last year and Mario's first year so far.

No need to panic...YET
249095-f569aea72f70661e0e8e181c154b7379.png

Can’t argue about the results so far @ Miami. Mario’s overall HC’ing tenure has been a mixed bag. FIU, Oregon, and Miami were/are very different situations with lots of different variables. That’s why I’ve said we can’t predict future results based on past success/failure.
i dont blame him for FIU. he did a good job there imo based on how the program is. i only care about miami at this point. as you said, just bc you succeeded somewhere, doesnt mean you will elsewhere. FIsher is an example of that.

i dont blame him for FIU. he did a good job there imo based on how the program is. i only care about miami at this point. as you said, just bc you succeeded somewhere, doesnt mean you will elsewhere. FIsher is an example of that.
For me the jury is still out with Mario although the evidence is becoming a little clearer as to what we might expect short term. Long term will depend a lot on talent acquisition, assistant coaches, and game management. The results this season may have a profound affect on future results - short and long term.

Does not matter at all. We have our coach and that WILL NOT change. I do not like how it has gone so far but this what we have. We have changed everything so many times and nothing seems to move forward. Only difference now is we have thrown TONS of cash. If this regime cannot get it done, we are AAC bound. I love Miami but I remain pragmatic about how I view the program.

Advertisement
@Brooklyndee can tell you because he lived it. you dont change culture over night.
I’m sick of this personally. I used to be a believer in this fairy tale excuse.

You know how you change culture? Winning and not looking like a buffoon on the sidelines with atrocious clock management and decision-making. Looks to be working just fine at just about every other school. Norvell, Venebles, DeBoer, Elko, Sarkisian, Leipold, Brohm, even bumf^ck Napier say hello.

Jedd Fisch took over an embarrassment of an Arizona team, went 1-11 first year, then 5-7 and now has lost single digit games to UW and USC with a backup true freshman QB, then stomped #19 Wazzu. Currently 4-3…less than three years and this is ARIZONA.

But only Mario needs half a decade to clean it up. Next year there are no excuses. Miami truly is a special circumstance.

I admit I had hope we were back and that makes these two losses even more frustrating. I still like where the canes are headed with MC and he’s put together a more than solid coaching staff

Does not matter at all. We have our coach and that WILL NOT change. I do not like how it has gone so far but this what we have. We have changed everything so many times and nothing seems to move forward. Only difference now is we have thrown TONS of cash. If this regime cannot get it done, we are AAC bound. I love Miami but I remain pragmatic about how I view the program.
AAC bound? It’ll never be that bad

Advertisement
I’m sick of this personally. I used to be a believer in this fairy tale excuse.

You know how you change culture? Winning and not looking like a buffoon on the sidelines with atrocious clock management and decision-making. Looks to be working just fine at just about every other school. Norvell, Venebles, DeBoer, Elko, Sarkisian, Leipold, Brohm, even bumf^ck Napier say hello.

Jedd Fisch took over an embarrassment of an Arizona team, went 1-11 first year, then 5-7 and now has lost single digit games to UW and USC with a backup true freshman QB, then stomped #19 Wazzu. Currently 4-3…less than three years and this is ARIZONA.

But only Mario needs half a decade to clean it up. Next year there are no excuses. Miami truly is a special circumstance.
year 3 is usually the point for me where its now or never. Golden and Randy both had their peaks in year 3. richt had his peak in year 2 but put up strong year 1 and 2 seasons before his health and the team fell off. norvell had his breakthrough 10 win year last year (year 3). **** prolly win 10-11 again this year (my guess is honestly an unbeaten reg season).

year 3 is usually the point for me where its now or never. Golden and Randy both had their peaks in year 3. richt had his peak in year 2 but put up strong year 1 and 2 seasons before his health and the team fell off. norvell had his breakthrough 10 win year last year (year 3). **** prolly win 10-11 again this year (my guess is honestly an unbeaten reg season).
Yup, very rarely am I at “fire the guy” before Year 3. Manny was an exception, I wanted him fired after FIU.

Still plenty of time in Year 2, but Saturday will be a pivotal turning point.

— Program has legit been a dumpster fire for 20 years (survived 2003-2004 because of gross abundance of talent that was soon gone).

— Cristobal is the third new coach over a five-year span and sixth in 17 seasons. For context, Dabo took over Clemson mid-season during Randy Shannon's second year—five coaches ago for UM.

— Miami just got money and started upping its game. Prior to that, a lot of wrong-fit head coaches—guys not ready for prime time, up-and-comers who failed, an over the hill alum and a soft little beta. Mario is the Canes' first alpha dog since Butch Davis blew out of town in January 2001.

— Takes more than a year and a half to flush out the remnants of a fraudulent program with a soft roster. Building culture is real and important at a place like Miami and it doesn't happen overnight. Sorry.

— All the hype around North Carolina's hot start; they're best since 1997—but he's now in year five and returned to Chapel Hill the same year Manny was hired. His record over that span: 7-6, 8-4. 6-7. 9-5 and now 6-0.

— FSU fans wanted to run off Mike Norvell year two; worried they couldn't afford a buyout as they were still paying Willie Lump Lump Taggart. Dude was 3-6 year one, lost to Miami (52-10), started year two 0-4 (with a loss to Jacksonville State) and was 6-12 overall before pulling the comeback against the Canes in Tallahassee. Year three, goes 10-3 and starts year four 6-0—now on a 12-game win-streak.

Miami fans need to relax and stop with the nonsensical lather, rinse, repeat approach to coaching. Coker was the last Miami coach who saw more than five years—Golden next closest, canned halfway through year five. Any ranting and raving halfway through year two is just nonsensical—especially after inheriting a program that was 28-24 after Richt's 10-0 start of 2017 though Diaz's finale in 2021.

Stack talent. Build a loaded roster again. More alphas (like Bain) less betas (like some guys not worth mentioning).

Based on Brown, Norvell and others, again, let's see where this thing is year three and four. If it's still not where we want it to be, you have a problem—but halfway through year two? Stop it.
I don't think MC is the alpha dog that some Canes fans want him to be. He's not really feared within the conference and plenty of coaches at "inferior" programs have eaten his lunch. He's just seen as am alpha amongst some on here because he was part of 2 national championship teams during the heyday and he constantly talks about "working hard", so in the minds of some, that makes him top dog. 9-9 at Miami, 3-7 in the ACC and 0-5 to ACC opponents at home is not very alpha dog like IMO.

Advertisement
Back