Tim Irvin 247 update

For those asking for Travaris Robinson as a possible future defensive coordinator, mark him off your list. Miami will never reach out to him and even if they did, he will not take it into consideration.

You sound very confident

Advertisement
We shouldn't have to negative recruit against UF. The whole world saw them lose to Georgia Southern last year. They can blame it on injuries, sun in their eyes, players holding each other, whatever it may be. But the fact of the matter is, they still lost to Georgia Southern last year. Georgia Southern.

I don't think we negative recruit against anybody.

I run a recruiting firm, specializing in recruiting for tech companies in the Silicon Valley.
In my field of recruiting, you never negative recruit. If you are poaching a candidate from a company, or trying to steer a candidate towards your opportunity and away from another, you always sell what you have to offer.
The moment you start bad mouthing another company is the moment you lose.
People just react negatively towards it. Even if they agree with you, the fact that you are bad mouthing someone else, subliminally or overtly makes the candidate mistrust you.

Now, I'm sure in football recruiting negative recruiting works in some cases.
Let's face it, you are not trying to take some MIT computer wizard away from Google, but any recruit with half a brain will recognize the desperation that negative recruiting represents, and be put off by it.
I think there is a world of difference in recruiting white collar professionals and high school athletes. Like it or not, negative recruiting can have a positive effect on teenagers.

Funny, but there really isn't a difference.
Recruiting professionals, or an agent recruiting actors/artists to your agency, recruiting professional athletes, recruiting kids to sign at your school, it's all basically the same thing.

You make it all about the opportunity and all about them.

Bashing a competitor automatically takes the emphasis away from the opportunity you offer and transfers the conversation towards something else.

Just basic psychology.

You know what I believe works real well with a kid who's on the fence?

Bribery.
5 figures to a kid who comes from a poor, financial background and has been led to believe they are an NFL player who is just biding time until he hits the league, allows a recruit to continue the belief/fantasy.

I'm sure there are plenty of coaches who negatively recruit as part of S.O.P., and use bribery often, but I'm also sure that the best recruiters don't negatively recruit.

I know this because the best recruiters in every other field condemn negative recruiting and will fire recruiters who practice it.
College football recruiting can't be the ONLY field where negative recruiting is condoned and works.

I want Doritos to succeed at Miami, keep the momentum going! But if he can't, my list for DC candidates would be Butch Davis and Jim Levitt! But I really really wish Bud Foster would make the trip to Miami. Imagine what that dudes Defense would look like with elite south Florida talent! Top 5 every year! I'd give Bud Foster almost as much money as Golden!!

Advertisement
Back