Tim Burns

I think he is to blame because he doesnt even have a board or a contigent plan regardless of Tim Burns getting dropped. He didnt DROP Tim Burns but he also doesnt have his replacement or even the cache to bang the table for ANY guy he likes and he has been a coach here for 5 years.

Essentially other than to appease some alumni...what is his positioning here?.

Ivins said in his pod that the canes hoped burns would grow more and never did. they just dont want to take another developmental slot corner. the issue is that we have no one else thanks to rumph

Advertisement
I agree. I just think it's comical (and pathetic) for people to slag Rumph 24-7.

Again, even if Rumph wasn't 100% sold on Burns, there is no way in **** that Manny didn't also sign off on this move.

you dont blame rumph for dropping burns, but you blame rumph for absolutely failing at CB recruiting. its been five years and hes done absolutely nothing even in years where local CB recruiting was in the plus. hes the weakest link in terms of recruiting

You realize bad relations & burned bridges with South Florida schools is what kept Golden in recruiting purgatory for years?? To the point where he went upstate for our recruits and we had Richt do 4 years of reversing any mess and amount of damage down here, and we still haven’t patched up fully in local recruiting scene. Now is not the time to burn bridges with a feeder powerhouse school like MNW.

burned bridges where? What schools? I remember golden surfers using this lame *** excuse for that clown,.

My issue with Rumph is this. Why tf can’t our CB coach have any say with who gets picked up or dropped? majority of coaching staffs may operate like this but it’s just stupid to me. Rumph isn’t churning out first round talent and he’s not having a say in who we pick up or drop, just seems like a waste of a salary for me.
But that's not Rumph's call. Why would you have a issue with him over that.

This whole situation has been a cluster f*ck for too long. I've been patient and been accused of being a slurper. First we've had a HC that insisted on being an offensive coordinator, now we have a HC that insists on being a defensive coordinator. Neither were good at having dual roles. Neither do I believe that anything significant will change as long as Manny is the de facto DC even if they replace Rumph.

It's getting close to the point where the only solution is blow up the whole defensive side and bring in a defensive coordinator that knows WTF he's doing and keep Manny out of it. His main job as HC is getting the team ready to play week in and week out and from the looks of things he's struggling with it.

There has to be more to this story. Not to defend this staff because they have lots of shortcomings, I don’t think they drop a kid for no reason, especially their slimmest position.
At this point, I don't put anything past them. They already operate like they're the smartest guys in the room and have an over inflated opinion of themselves.

Advertisement
My issue is that until someone on either side comes out and says what really happened, everyone will just fill in their own blanks! I know that sometimes you have to keep it close to the vest for future options and I am not blaming a side, not pointing fingers, just hope it works out for both sides.

Ivins said in his pod that the canes hoped burns would grow more and never did. they just dont want to take another developmental slot corner. the issue is that we have no one else thanks to rumph
I think i was the guy that called this 2-3 years ago as they passed on kids...swinging and missing on longshots. Said down the pike it would bite us....Now the other coaches recruits are gone and these are HIS guys and we have rail thin depth..but cant even take a Tim Burns because we are in need of a guy that can play RIGHT away.

To the PORTAL it is...They need to sign a hs guy and a portal guy. That is glaring and was BEFORE Christian Williams banged it on their ***.

Advertisement

This whole situation has been a cluster f*ck for too long. I've been patient and been accused of being a slurper. First we've had a HC that insisted on being an offensive coordinator, now we have a HC that insists on being a defensive coordinator. Neither were good at having dual roles. Neither do I believe that anything significant will change as long as Manny is the de facto DC even if they replace Rumph.
dude rumphs job is to recruit and develop. hes done neither well so far. that is on rumph. fact is, rumph was richts guy that was brought in to bring in those AH kids. he flopped big time there. rumph was nearly replaced but mannys choice for DB coach fell through as the guy took the temple DC job. this an absolute joke of a DB coach. also, our current HC doesnt insist on being a DC. he lets baker be his DC and tries to stay out of it unless he has to step in which COACHES do all the time everywhere. its not unusual for a HC to take over when a certain side of the ball, mainly his side, is struggling in prep or playcalling. from what we heard, manny likes to give autonomy to his coordinators for the most part.

I had a late growth spurt from 18-20 from 5"6 to 5'10 . what if he grows while in college from a proper diet.

thats why go getas point is true. its bc rumph failed at landing previous guys any one really that we are where we are where we cant take a developmental kid in burns bc he didnt pan out as they expected in terms of growth in HS and we need someone who can step in and play right away. the burns drop is a recruiting failure by the DB coach. combine that with the limited spots, they have to take someone who they know will be good ocne they get here and cant afford to take chances.

I think he is to blame because he doesnt even have a board or a contigent plan regardless of Tim Burns getting dropped. He didnt DROP Tim Burns but he also doesnt have his replacement or even the cache to bang the table for ANY guy he likes and he has been a coach here for 5 years.

Hard to justify at this point when his 3rd-year corners are regressing in their technique. Staying in phase and punching the pocket (with eye discipline) used to be a hallmark of Rumph corners...now they're routinely looking at the QB and losing their man, and not leveraging the sideline or endline. It's unclear if he even teaches anymore.

and you know this because.....

Advertisement
and you know this because.....

BECAUSE essentially we have no true cb board yearly for the last 5 years. Its a long running joke...we typically arent even close with identifying guys until after Black Friday. I mean do you NOT see how thin depth wise we are at the position?. Do you see any competence with that where you are 1-2 injuries away from walk ons at CB....when you are flat out located in the epicenter where everyone comes for defensive backs?.

Being cute with evals/offers at that spot has led to what we have and the blame falls on Manny/Rumph. I blame Manny for retaining him when he became HC and overall.

I like Burns as a recruit and essentially if they dropped him not a problem with me if they didnt like the progress or need at his spot...just the contigency plan should be in place..and with this group I HIGHLY doubt it.

Add to it we are in a pandemic and not allowed trips to see kids and most south florida schools are plying a schedule of 4 games that about to come to an end in a week. No camps we had to evaluate guys,etc. They are going to have to trust their eyes on highlight films and coaches word of mouth. Its great to see though and exciting for me. CROOTING SZN.

Who is our other slot CB.? Couch? He will be a JR next year so we will need another the ****

Advertisement
I think the scary part about if Manny were to get rid of Rumph is that he would bring in another unqualified yes man (Patke Bartender) that has no clue how to develop players. Developing players is our issue now! If manny is controlling how he wants DBs developed now then he will control the next CB coach as well. Another unqualified yes man that can’t develop the talent we do have

I think our CB depth is so bad with high risk in the depth chart. Dunson might be 160 and Clarke was a wr.
This is so unacceptable, we need the portal to give us game ready corners hopefully starter material.
Manny is responsible as well as Rumph. The numbers at CB right now have to be addressed. i worry that there's enough GTs available that can fillin as starters

Tim looks a little bigger than Couch did at Chaminade, idk what the **** they are talking about with "size issues." I'd take him if he was 5'6 135, you can't teach his coverage skills, ballhawk ability & footwork
While I agree with you on taking him 8 just want to point out that you literally listed three things that you can teach. lol

It's getting close to the point where the only solution is blow up the whole defensive side and bring in a defensive coordinator that knows WTF he's doing and keep Manny out of it. His main job as HC is getting the team ready to play week in and week out and from the looks of things he's struggling with it.
Baker calls the defence. Diaz clearly wants to be a CEO HC, but he's hired a **** and has to step in to man the pumps on occasion.

Advertisement
Back