Tiered List of Potential DC's

Advertisement
So who do you have

I’ve commented on this a million times. I think Belk would absolutely kill it here. BUT, if we are spending big, then swing big for guys who are a little more established and call Leonard, Tressell, Parker, Scalley, Lake. There are a TON of guys who are worth a phone call with our money pitch but some people are throwing out washed names like Strong, Shannon, Leavitt, Muschamp etc. Yuck, lol.

I know the OP wasn’t advocating for those guys and just making a list, but I’ve seen others say it. Nah bruh, leave them where they’re at.

Advertisement
Bary Odom would be great too but he’s at Arkansas and is a MO boy with young kids. Doubtful he’d leave to go live in Miami.

Shoop just went to USF.

Pay the buyout?
In the past, I would have never done that, but we're in a different world now. You hit on a valid point, as someone who is fiscally conservative myself, I don't want to just **** money away (even with the deep pockets who are willing to back us), but I just want the best person we can get, period. We could have had Mario much cheaper early on and we passed; now we're paying a premium. If Shoop creates a strong defense at USF, then at some point he will get paid even more down the road and the cost/benefit of paying the buyout could be worth it.
He's not my top choice, but here is why I like him:
- twice a Broyles award finalist
-had the top defense in the nation at Miss St in a league loaded with talent across the board where MSU was outmatched most of the time
- he led a top 25 defense in 6 of 8 years as a past d-coordinator, and the years he wasn't, I believe were hit by key injuries in at least 1 of those 2 years (that's pretty consistent in schools such as Miss St, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, and Penn St)
-D-Money had a pretty solid write-up of Shoop when he first came on board

That's my argument, but I would definitely defer more to people like @Liberty City El @DMoney , and some of the other folks on here who are far better than I am on evaluating coaches.

Advertisement
Bring Muschamp and you’ll need to have a separate budget for the amount of white boards that man will take his anger out on and destroy.

Consulting Todd Orlando is how Kirby Smart and Dan Lanning innovated their defense to what it is today - evolving from the traditional Alabama defense of being massive at every position to being able to blitz, cover, and play sideline to sideline all at the same time.

Not sure if he's just had tough luck with personnel at Texas and USC or what - he was a rapid riser in coaching circles as the next great coordinator - hitched himself to Herman for a bit and then just went off a cliff in terms of results and got the axe.

Maybe in a Co-DC role because he's got good ideas and a good scheme. Something has been off at his last 2 stops though. He was good at Houston.
Would you pair him with Schumann?

I’ve commented on this a million times. I think Belk would absolutely kill it here. BUT, if we are spending big, then swing big for guys who are a little more established and call Leonard, Tressell, Parker, Scalley, Lake. There are a TON of guys who are worth a phone call with our money pitch but some people are throwing out washed names like Strong, Shannon, Leavitt, Muschamp etc. Yuck, lol.

I know the OP wasn’t advocating for those guys and just making a list, but I’ve seen others say it. Nah bruh, leave them where they’re at.

This. We need OC and DC candidates who will be head coaches in 3-4 years after their stop at making Miami national champion again. What Lashlee was for Manny this year on offense. No retreads.

In the past, I would have never done that, but we're in a different world now. You hit on a valid point, as someone who is fiscally conservative myself, I don't want to just **** money away (even with the deep pockets who are willing to back us), but I just want the best person we can get, period. We could have had Mario much cheaper early on and we passed; now we're paying a premium. If Shoop creates a strong defense at USF, then at some point he will get paid even more down the road and the cost/benefit of paying the buyout could be worth it.
He's not my top choice, but here is why I like him:
- twice a Broyles award finalist
-had the top defense in the nation at Miss St in a league loaded with talent across the board where MSU was outmatched most of the time
- he led a top 25 defense in 6 of 8 years as a past d-coordinator, and the years he wasn't, I believe were hit by key injuries in at least 1 of those 2 years (that's pretty consistent in schools such as Miss St, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, and Penn St)
-D-Money had a pretty solid write-up of Shoop when he first came on board

That's my argument, but I would definitely defer more to people like @Liberty City El @DMoney , and some of the other folks on here who are far better than I am on evaluating coaches.
Sometimes we need to suffer in order to reap the rewards. Mario would’ve never accepted a job while Blake and the athletic department continued to nickel and dime this program.

We hype every recruit and every coach that come along because we’re fans. But yet lashlee wasn’t and still isn’t getting calls from Top programs.
Shop has really good resume but as I said earlier, Mario likely already has a list and he wasn’t on it.
Now it doesn’t mean that he isn’t a good coach, but Mario probably has person he prefers to work with for other reasons not related to coaching. Maybe it’s personality or familiarity.

Coaching needs to have chemistry and maybe he just wanted someone he has worked with before or is friends with outside of football that has the same goals and teaching style that he does.

Advertisement
Advertisement
the good news is I don't think there's many people off the table. I mean we just made news by spending a ton of money, we now have an established HC, the talent is here (and it's young), and we're located on South beach

a top young DC (and OC) for that matter should be lining up to make this their resume spot to jump to a HC position

Advertisement
Back