Tidbits from a Cane coach

AlexCane

Senior
I don't know how thread-worthy this is, but it's the offseason. Other than conversations about John Ruiz's net worth--who knew we had so many accountants and financial experts on here?!--and a terrible thread that turned predictably political (good job, guys!), things are pretty slow.

I had an opportunity to speak with a Hurricane coach one-on-one. What an awesome guy-more on that later.

Here are some tidbits. Nothing groundbreaking.

-Of course, the first question I asked him, the question on everyone's mind, what's the outlook for the season. He was quite optimistic so that's reassuring. He thinks we will be much improved, particularly on D. He said that the DL transfers have an opportunity to be "elite." (His word.) He didn't mention names, but I assume he's referring to Mesidor, Agude, and Jackson.
-We've heard this before, but Manny's scheme was based on vertical pressure. Now, we will be taking on more blockers. Presumably, this will be an adjustment for our DL used to the prior scheme. My thought: we may see a team that improves throughout the year as the techniques, schemes become more comfortable with reps.
-Part of the optimism, I think he believes that we were better than a 7-5 team last year. He mentioned the 3 tough losses (UVA, UNC, and FSU). I wasn't going to debate with him that we had some wins that easily could have gone the other way too. Nevertheless, simply stated, internally there's optimism.
-On FSU, a player (who he didn't mention and I was too scared to ask lol) missed an assignment. If the player does what he's supposed to, might be a different outcome.
-Mentioned Chase Smith and Bissainthe at LB. That's exciting. I know we'd all like to see them get some PT and hopefully live up to their talents.
-He said the UCLA LB will help.
-Fall camp starts August 2. We will get 29 practices.
-The timeline for the new football facility is 19-20 months IIRC. That's insane, given Miami construction standards.
-Coaches only allowed 1 hour/week with the team. That's another topic but kind of silly. One hour?!
-We spoke a lot about the portal and NIL.
-Reading between the lines, I think he's a little down on the effect it's had on recruiting. Whereas, for example, in the past coaches had to work to sell a kid to their staff, program, college environment, etc., now it's just where can a kid get more $. It's my word, but I think he believes recruiting has lost some charm.
-He was ok with the kids getting paid, but thinks the system we have now-which is a free-for-all-is too much and that some regulations need to be put in place.
-He believes that some type of salary cap may be necessary. I mentioned that then some school will say "here's $20K on top," but he believes guidelines need to be in place, even if maybe just to improve the perception about this new NIL world.
-He said Florida's NIL legislation puts us at a disadvantage with other states. I won't mention the states but basically in other states, folks can induce a player to come to a school. Florida does not permit that. It's kind of surprising that there isn't one set of rules for all NCAA teams to abide by.

What a cool dude this coach was. Incredibly engaging and was as interested to ask me questions about me and my family than I was to discuss Cane football. I can see how some of these guys are amazing recruiters. Just a gifted and genuine conversationalist. He must have read "How to win friends and influence people" cover to cover 18 times.

On that note, I ain't foolish or naive enough to think I can change anyone here, but everyone should try to be more respectful of our staff and players. This doesn't mean folks are immune from criticism, but criticism can be measured and stated appropriately. I know a lot of stuff here is in jest and attempts at humor, but there are some good dudes on staff and on the team. (As an aside, I had a chance to meet Zach McCloud several months ago and have nothing but great things to say about him too.) They're not commodities for our mere entertainment. I bet if we all had a chance to meet the coaches and players we'd generally be far more respectful than we are on this board. Be nice. Be respectful. There's a right and wrong way to say everything.

Advertisement
my man lol GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Advertisement
I don't know how thread-worthy this is, but it's the offseason. Other than conversations about John Ruiz's net worth--who knew we had so many accountants and financial experts on here?!--and a terrible thread that turned predictably political (good job, guys!), things are pretty slow.

I had an opportunity to speak with a Hurricane coach one-on-one. What an awesome guy-more on that later.

-Of course, the first question I asked him, the question on everyone's mind, what's the outlook for the season. He was quite optimistic so that's reassuring. He thinks we will be much improved, particularly on D. He said that the DL transfers have an opportunity to be "elite." (His word.) He didn't mention names, but I assume he's referring to Mesidor, Agude, and Jackson.
-We've heard this before, but Manny's scheme was based on vertical pressure. Now, we will be taking on more blockers. Presumably, this will be an adjustment for our DL used to the prior scheme. My thought: we may see a team that improves throughout the year as the techniques, schemes become more comfortable with reps.
-Part of the optimism, I think he believes that we were better than a 7-5 team last year. He mentioned the 3 tough losses (UVA, UNC, and FSU). I wasn't going to debate with him that we had some wins that easily could have gone the other way too. Nevertheless, simply stated, internally there's optimism.
-On FSU, a player (who he didn't mention and I was too scared to ask lol) missed an assignment. If the player does what he's supposed to, might be a different outcome.
-Mentioned Chase Smith and Bissainthe at LB. That's exciting. I know we'd all like to see them get some PT and hopefully live up to their talents.
-The timeline for the new football facility is 19-20 months IIRC. That's insane, given Miami construction standards.
-Coaches only allowed 1 hour/week with the team. That's another topic but kind of silly. One hour?!
-Reading between the lines, I think he's a little down on the effect it's had on recruiting. Whereas, for example, in the past coaches had to work to sell a kid to their staff, program, college environment, etc., now it's just where can a kid get more $. It's my word, but I think he believes recruiting has lost some charm.
-He was ok with the kids getting paid, but thinks the system we have now-which is a free-for-all-is too much and that some regulations need to be put in place.
-He believes that some type of salary cap may be necessary. I mentioned that then some school will say "here's $20K on top," but he believes guidelines need to be in place, even if maybe just to improve the perception about this new NIL world.
-He said Florida's NIL legislation puts us at a disadvantage with other states. I won't mention the states but basically in other states, folks can induce a player to come to a school. Florida does not permit that. It's kind of surprising that there isn't one set of rules for all NCAA teams to abide by.

What a cool dude this coach was. Incredibly engaging and was as interested to ask me questions about me and my family than I was to discuss Cane football. I can see how some of these guys are amazing recruiters. Just a gifted and genuine conversationalist. He must have read "How to win friends and influence people" cover to cover 18 times.

On that note, I ain't foolish or naive enough to think I can change anyone here, but everyone should try to be more respectful of our staff and players. This doesn't mean folks are immune from criticism, but criticism can be measured and stated appropriately. I know a lot of stuff here is in jest and attempts at humor, but there are some good dudes on staff and on the team. (As an aside, I had a chance to meet Zach McCloud several months ago and have nothing but great things to say about him too.) They're not commodities for our mere entertainment. I bet if we all had a chance to meet the coaches and players we'd generally be far more respectful than we are on this board. Be nice. Be respectful. There's a right and wrong way to say everything.
Who was the coach?

Sike naw good post.

About the Florida NIL law difference. The NCAA tried to fight it and left it up to the courts. They thought the courts would be on their side. They weren't and gave the States the power to determine how it will be handled. That opened Pandora's Box and its going to be impossible for them to close it now. Florida was one of the first states to pass the NIL law. The States like Texas that followed were able to build off what Florida did and also saw the weakness in it. That allowed them to pass laws that worked better for their schools.

Good stuff overall, but still not a fan of coaches blaming a single play or players.

On FSU, a player (who he didn't mention and I was too scared to ask lol) missed an assignment. If the player does what he's supposed to, might be a different outcome.

We should of never been in a situation where one play was going to decide the game and if a player missed the assignment, that will happen, and at the end of the day it is the coaches responsibility that they prepare them enough that it doesn't happen.

Idk but that line gave me flashbacks of the previous regime. Idc if we lose a game because one of our players very obviously completely misses his assignment, I want my coaches to stand up for him in the media and put all the blame on themselves. Then in the meeting room the next day tear into him if he'd like, but try to see what they can do to make sure it doesn't happen again. So sick of coaches blaming a certain play or player for a loss against a team that we have no business being within 2 TDs of.

Advertisement
Good stuff overall, but still not a fan of coaches blaming a single play or players.

On FSU, a player (who he didn't mention and I was too scared to ask lol) missed an assignment. If the player does what he's supposed to, might be a different outcome.

We should of never been in a situation where one play was going to decide the game and if a player missed the assignment, that will happen, and at the end of the day it is the coaches responsibility that they prepare them enough that it doesn't happen.

Idk but that line gave me flashbacks of the previous regime. Idc if we lose a game because one of our players very obviously completely misses his assignment, I want my coaches to stand up for him in the media and put all the blame on themselves. Then in the meeting room the next day tear into him if he'd like, but try to see what they can do to make sure it doesn't happen again. So sick of coaches blaming a certain play or player for a loss against a team that we have no business being within 2 TDs of.
I think you're reading a little too much into that.

To add some context, this was following my question as to how he expected we'd look this season. I think what he meant was that we were just 2-3 plays away from maybe being 10-2. Now, like I said, I can play that game with some of our wins too, but the bigger point is that I don't believe this coach believes we are too far away from being a top 10, top 15 team.

"...
-On FSU, a player (who he didn't mention and I was too scared to ask lol) missed an assignment. If the player does what he's supposed to, might be a different outcome..."
That player is a saint and should be bronzed in a glorious statue.

"...
On that note, I ain't foolish or naive enough to think I can change anyone here, but everyone should try to be more respectful of our staff and players..."
Joo aire talkeng crazee mang. Crazee.

Advertisement
I think you're reading a little too much into that.

To add some context, this was following my question as to how he expected we'd look this season. I think what he meant was that we were just 2-3 plays away from maybe being 10-2. Now, like I said, I can play that game with some of our wins too, but the bigger point is that I don't believe this coach believes we are too far away from being a top 10, top 15 team.

Looking back, thankfully (as odd as it seems to say this) we were not 10-2, or else I don't think we would have seem the amazing improvements all around that we have seen the past 6+ months. I feel like we would have probably stayed stuck in a rut and went backwards.
Great post by the way and thank you for sharing!!

Must of been awesome getting to speak to someone who's actually around the team everyday. I'm blown away that you spoke to a coach on the team and our QB who is perceived as a Heisman contender was never brought up. Besides that good stuff.

As to your last paragraph, absolutely. It's been my experience that people feel comfortable shouting at those they don't know and don't have to stand in front of. When we meet people in real life, we're much more likely to listen to them and consider what they have to say even if it's not what we want to hear. Like you, I'd like people on the internet to act a little more like the people they're going after are actual people. I guess we all have our dreams.

Advertisement
Must of been awesome getting to speak to someone who's actually around the team everyday. I'm blown away that you spoke to a coach on the team and our QB who is perceived as a Heisman contender was never brought up. Besides that good stuff.
I know. Me too. I took the silence from him on the offensive side of the ball to be a tacit suggestion that the offense wasn't as much a concern heading into this season as compared to the defense, which is probably a fair statement since TVD is leading the offense.

Im glad he was honest enough to admit that recruiting has basically turned into, "Yeah yeah coach, great facilities, great weight room, great dorms, love your scheme, love the family atmosphere..now..lets just cut the BS...how much are you offering?" I cant imagine hosting these kids and there families and in the back of your mind as a coach you know thats all they want to discuss.

As the season goes on, that DL is going to become a terror I think. Jackson, Mesidor and LT as your core is a **** good start to becoming an elite DL. Just find one more DE that can play and we are in business.

Most fans are afraid to mince the words that this is a 9-10 win team if we put it all together due to the fact that we know what will happen if Mario comes out and goes 8-4 or worse. The naysayers and the "See? Told you..hes the cuban Butch Davis!" start rearing their ugly heads. So its safer to just say we can win 8 games and to temper your expectations. Im glad Mario is instilling in the program that the time is now..we can win the ACC Coastal and win 10 games if we put it all together.

Thanks for sharing.

If the Dline is elite next year, we should make a major jump. I already have high epectations for the back 4/5 DB squad on field.. I think offense has all pieces to be explosive and fun to watch.. Lets see ho wquick they gel..

Im glad he was honest enough to admit that recruiting has basically turned into, "Yeah yeah coach, great facilities, great weight room, great dorms, love your scheme, love the family atmosphere..now..lets just cut the BS...how much are you offering?" I cant imagine hosting these kids and there families and in the back of your mind as a coach you know thats all they want to discuss.
This is my concern. If CFB is going to become a business--more so than it was--IMO, it will turn into a sport of haves and have nots. That means that the schools that can financially will themselves into contention year-in-year-out will do so and create a virtual monopoly over the rest that can't. As it is right now, you got Bama, UGA, OSU in tier one (and probably Clemson) and then a second tier that likely can't jump into that group unless it makes an equal financial commitment.

I think we are going to see less unpredictability (less Cincinattis as an example). IMO, there will be more predictability because you can likely directly tie financial support to wins and losses.

Advertisement
Back