Ticket prices vs A&M

Let's compare the ticket prices for the Canes with the USC/Stanford game.

Upper deck(50 yard line) on the home side the tickets are 195.00 plus tax, while USC has upper deck (50 yard line) for 95.00 plus tax.

I would think that if the Canes had a similar price point that fans would be more inclined to spend their money on these games. No one at this moment cares about the G-tech game. So this buy one get one deal is a bunch of crap.
You're not wrong but the stadium configurations are completely different. Hard Rock 50 yd line upper deck are great seats and at the Coliseum they are not.

Advertisement
I can get on board with this

I understand the economics angle, and I think the frustrating thing about this is there is most certainly a middle ground compromise on what’s good for the business and fans at the same time when you have such a huge range or price options

These types of environments and games are reliant on the people paying for cheaper tickets

Exactly. And the fan in me also has to say that there ought to be a place in this world for the West Endzone. You need the crazy, rowdy beer belly crowd for the atmosphere. If you start pricing those people out of all of the seats in the stadium, the experience starts to get sterile. That's just my opinon as a fan in general.

I went to the game last year and recall after halftime all you saw was burgundy all around the stadium. And all you heard was that annoying as **** war chant

It's not like that at the beginning of the game though

Largest crowds since HRS was reconfigured to 65,000

FSU 2022: 66,200
FSU 2016: 65,685
FSU 2018: 64,490
Notre Dame 2017: 65,303
Va Tech 2017: 63,932
UVA 2017: 63,415
Duke 2018: 62,754
UNC 2018: 60,845
FAMU 2016: 60,703

Yes, I know some of these (like Duke in 2018) were not even close to actual attendance.

FSU doesn’t count… two massive fan bases in the same place will fill any stadium

FSU doesn’t count… two massive fan bases in the same place will fill any stadium

I mean, it does count. There were times when Miami-FSU didn't sellout, and I'm not talking 1974 either.

1986 (Miami was 1 and FSU was 20). 62,000
1998: (FSU played for the National title, Miami went 9-3). 63,000
2006: 11 vs 12. 71,000 (capacity was 73,000)
2008: 65,000
2012: 73,000 (capacity was 75,000)

Advertisement
I mean, for me, as a fan and not an employee of the athletic department, I just want to see a packed, loud, house. So my selfish math is easy... lower prices and get butts in the seats... to **** with everything else.

The problem with the Miami fan base, though, is that we already know that lowering the price doesn't make a difference. The people who show up are the people who show up, period. Lowering the price attracts a minimal number of additional fans, while devaluing the product to where the guy who pays $125 now expects that lower price as well. It's like the Rays and Marlins. They practically give tickets away and it still only makes a nominal difference in attendance.

The problem with the Miami fan base, though, is that we already know that lowering the price doesn't make a difference. The people who show up are the people who show up, period. Lowering the price attracts a minimal number of additional fans, while devaluing the product to where the guy who pays $125 now expects that lower price as well. It's like the Rays and Marlins. They practically give tickets away and it still only makes a nominal difference in attendance.

What basis do they have for having the prices that high in the first place though? That’s the main issue here.

Advertisement
They call that "price elasticity" haha. I mean there could be a lot of truth to that, I don't really have the information to say one way or the other. But I think one thing that's undeniable is that there are enough people out there interested in Miami football to pack the stadium in the right conditions. When we play FSU they show up, even in a bad year. When we're winning, they definitely show up. I think it's very likely that you have a lot of people out there who would like to go to this game, but just don't want it bad enough to blow $200 per person to do it. The more fair weather fans, which I think we have a lot of.

So Miami fan attendance defies the laws of supply and demand now? They should just charge $1000 for nosebleeds then and rake it in lol

They call that "price elasticity" haha. I mean there could be a lot of truth to that, I don't really have the information to say one way or the other. But I think one thing that's undeniable is that there are enough people out there interested in Miami football to pack the stadium in the right conditions. When we play FSU they show up, even in a bad year. When we're winning, they definitely show up. I think it's very likely that you have a lot of people out there who would like to go to this game, but just don't want it bad enough to blow $200 per person to do it. The more fair weather fans, which I think we have a lot of.

Not even just about the game. The TV product is so good these days and more importantly, AC watching from your living room.

Tickets honestly need to be priced to incentivize us to get out there.

Advertisement
You can buy a season ticket in the upper deck for under $200. And you can pay it off monthly. The argument of ticket prices being too high is ridiculous.

That's because we were getting murdered by then.
Aware of it, i was present and very painful to watch. I also had an fsu fan right in front of me talking mad **** the entire game. My point was most of the canes fans were gone yet the stadium still looked ok. I didn't realize how many were there until our "fans" started leaving. We def gotta eliminate this doak of the south bull****.

It's not like that at the beginning of the game though
Beginning is great. Depending on how the game is going some "fans" will leave before halftime, not giving our canes any hope or chance... some don't return after halftime

Advertisement
Not even just about the game. The TV product is so good these days and more importantly, AC watching from your living room.

Tickets honestly need to be priced to incentivize us to get out there.

And that's doubly true when the stadium is empty, because then you're not even getting the full experience. Part of the fun of being there is the electricity of the crowd. Like when Shockey caught the touchdown in 2000 against FSU at the OB. I think I permanently scarred my eardrums on that day. It was perfect.

I don't think they value that enough. Not just Miami, but all sports teams. I don't think they consider that there's what they call a network effect going on... the more people that go, the more other people have fun, the more demand there would be for the game, and it's a feedback loop.

If I were them, I would look in to raising the price for certain tickets - frankly the kind of tickets I myself normally buy - and I would look at actually LOWERING the price of tickets in the upper bowls and what are normally the cheaper seats. Even if those people aren't adding to the bottom line as much, they're adding to the atmosphere and they make the game experience more valuable to people in the expensive seats, who you can then raise the price on.

I think all sports teams treat their seating and their pricing too much like an airline. It's nothing like that - on a plane, I'm happy if the flight is totally empty. Football game is the opposite but I don't think they look at it in that way.

So Miami fan attendance defies the laws of supply and demand now? They should just charge $1000 for nosebleeds then and rake it in lol

That's a very elementary understanding of supply and demand. Lowering the price doesn't automatically draw more people. There are thousands of cheaper tickets on SeatGeek and StubHub, and they sit there unsold. If Miami were to suddenly lower the prices, what do you think everyone is going to do next time there is a big home game?

Affordable big game tickets > packed house > better recruiting > better team > more big games

The funny thing about this BOGO thing is, if Miami beats Texas A&M we're likely 4-0 going into that Ga Tech game and people are excited. People would buy tickets. But part of beating A&M is creating an atmosphere.

I think this is the approach the athletic department needs to take. If you trust Mario to eventually create a strong product you need to create atmosphere. It will pay off in the long run. As I said in another thread, we were getting 80,000+ people in the early 2000's. If the team is good people will show up.

I think the athletic department has done a garbage job of promoting the games and finding creative ways to get people in seats. There's no reason you can't find a way to sell this game out given the trajectory of the program and the importance of this particular game.

Largest crowds since HRS was reconfigured to 65,000

FSU 2022: 66,200
FSU 2016: 65,685
FSU 2018: 64,490
Notre Dame 2017: 65,303
Va Tech 2017: 63,932
UVA 2017: 63,415
Duke 2018: 62,754
UNC 2018: 60,845
FAMU 2016: 60,703

Yes, I know some of these (like Duke in 2018) were not even close to actual attendance.
Look at #1, then massage your temples as you remember the result, and you will understand why no normie is rushing to attend this game.

The FSU game last year was “I feel like an idiot for watching, let alone attending” bad. It was one of the most shameful results since probation. Literally. The difference is that when we lost got blowed out then I was a kid and I cried, whereas last year I just turned the TV off and thanked God for a beautiful day.

If you went to home games last year, more often than not you left feeling stupid for going. Waste of money, waste of time, waste of your life. That sting doesn’t wash off because of one nice win. The failure of 2022 still lives.

Hopefully it dies by Saturday night.

Advertisement
Back