Thursday Recruiting Chatter - 1/31

View as article
So we seriously might whiff on every 2019 prospect down the stretch besides Harrison-Hunte? Yikes. I don't feel good about Washington, Williams, Bogle, or Pickens. The transfers will help ease some of the pain but they aren't truly in the class of 2019. I can't wait for Wednesday to be over.

Don’t count on H-H either. You’re an experienced poster, u know how this ends

Advertisement
Question: if Miami and the region by default gets you 4star caliber DB’s, what’s the major problem with Banda and Rumph? Their coaching is not the issue. Their recruiting leaves room to be desired? Of course it does. But they’ve done their job developing.

Another question, if you were to fire Rumph and/or Banda. Who do you hire that would do such a monumentally better job? Let me guess. Corey Raymond? Mel tucker? I legit want to hear some names. I’m not being a smartass, I just want to hear the fix since there is such a major problem.

Gun to your head if you have the option whether to hire a good recruiter/average coach or a good developmental coach/average recruiter in the secondary at UM, give me the coach. We saw what a trash DB coach was here under Golden, and now we see the difference with two quality DB coaches the last 3 seasons. Again I’m not being a smartass, but those with the torches and pitchforks who would y’all hire for a secondary coach realistically?
i disagree in so many ways. The choice isnt whether two have TWO ****** recruiters as DB coaches or a disastrous corch there. That’s failure type thinking. We could have one coach there who can coach but not recruit, and one who can recruit. Or one good technical coach, and reallocate a position to elsewhere. Or even - imag8ne this - one guy who can do both coach and recruit - and pay him more.

Miami’s got few real advantages vs other schools. Saying we’re good because we have solid DBs is naive. That should be our true strength. You’re talking about the school that produced Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Bennie Blades, D. Williams, KP, Buchanon, Rolle et al. We can’t be content with solid when we should have game changes back there.

“Abysmal”
:monkey-serious:
Bubba bolden 4star
Gilbert frierson 4star
Trajan bandy 4 star
Gurvan hall 4 star
Keontra smith 4 star
Al blades 4 star
Dj ivey 4 star
Amari Carter 3 star
Tecory couch 4 star
Jahvontae dean 4 star
Derrick smith 3 star
Nigel bethel 3 star
In the last 3 is far from abysmal. Matter of fact we have stacked talent like this at db I’m quite some time

Bolden was more Brevin. If Brevin wasn't here, Bubba wasn't coming here. Bandy and Hall are proven elite players. Now, can you compile a list of guys that Rumph and Banda have missed out on?

Advertisement
the thing is that we did so ****** on early signing day, instead of focusing on 3 or 4 more recruits, we are focus on 8 or 9 more recruits trying to feel the class. Rumph & Banda have done a pathetic job at recruiting, we shouldn't be looking for an extra CB or S this late in the process we should have already at least 2 CBs & Ss but instead we have 1 CB and 1 safety committed in this class, that's just unacceptable. Now its super late in the process and the only prospect people are really confident about getting is JHH. Base on some of the changes already implemented with Manny, I'm guessing that he sees this problem and if nothing changes next recruiting cycle, he will take action. With all of the DBs in SFL and you only come with 1 CB&S, that is absolutely pathetic. Miami should never walk into a season with only 5S and 5CBs, and yes I am not counting couch, bc we all know he is not ready physically.

Last edited:
Can’t go into the season with 6 cbs and 5 safeties. Need 6 safeties and 7-8 cbs. Injuries do happen for those who think what we have is plenty of depth.
i though we only had 5 cbs going into this season, I say 4 bc Couch is not ready physically. But, i do agree with the depth amount.

Advertisement
i though we only had 5 cbs going into this season, I say 4 bc Couch is not ready physically. But, i do agree with the depth amount.
Gil, Bandy, Blades, Ivey, Couch, and Bethel. Those last two I doubt are ready physically. That’s why a transfer with expierence makes sense.

Gil, Bandy, Blades, Ivey, Couch, and Bethel. Those last two I doubt are ready physically. That’s why a transfer with expierence makes sense.
I forgot all about bethel. Your right we might have resort to a grad transfer, but I don't think there are any good ones out there.

Advertisement
This is our depth chart at DB next year, with stars in parentheses:

CB: Bandy (4), Ivey (4), Blades (4), Frierson (4), Couch (4), Bethel (3)
S: Hall (4), Bolden (4), Carter (3), K. Smith (4)

I expect some growing pains because of inexperience. But I also expect quick improvement and quality production since we've seen that for three years with this staff. Combine that with the talent, and we should end up with an excellent DB group.

If these guys don't develop, or don't have what it takes, Rumph and Banda will deserve the criticism. But their track record to this point is player development and four-star recruits. As a result, DB is the least of my concerns.

I thought Carter was a 4* too.

Agree depth definitely isn't where it needs to be.

Maybe we give Brian Dillard from Ocala a call and last minute visit?

so it looks like Miami might actually be the ones moving on from Emerson. Ivins is reporting they might not want him in the class due to numbers. A telling sign will be wether or not we go in home this week. We will be doing in homes with every one else of our targets but none schedules for him thus far.

Advertisement
Ok Folks.

Christian Williams gets his in home today with Diaz and staff. If they can get him out of LSU then Cane imo.

He will be in GA before going in home and will see Tee Webb with Enos.

Patke, Jess and Baker are with them in GA. Meaning offers are gonna be handed out in GA today.

Field is in J-Ville. We’ve offered to a lot of kids up there already so I don’t think we should expect one.

The coaches have nothing to do with it...THEY WILL NOT CONSISTENTLY CHOOSE MIAMI UNTIL WE START WINNING CONSISTENTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! The hype right now is great but kids know that we are not championship pedigree yet....When we win ALL THIS CHANGES!!!!!!!! HYPE IS GREAT BUT WINNING CURES ALL!!!!!!

The last two recruiting cycles they have brought in four 4-star players. Frierson, Hall, Ivey, Couch. And taken a flyer on a local athlete in Bethel. Before that they got Bandy in 2017, another blue chip guy.

They are hitting on very high quality guys, just not stacking on top of it. But they are recruiting at a higher level than all but maybe 10 teams in the country as far as talent ratio.

The issue is the public optics of losing the Heritage guys has absolutely wrecked Rumph’s rep, kind of unfairly.

Miami isn’t recruiting like Alabama and Ohio State. But it’s still pretty good if we can stop being so reactonary. And they turned what Golden left over (Still good) into a great defensive backfield. The unit should be elite.

Advertisement
Back