Thoughts & Prayers for Shaq Barrett and His Family Today Please

Advertisement
One of my first memories is of being just shy of my 4th birthday and thinking that I could walk across a covered pool at a relative's house during an anniversary party. Well that hypothesis didn't stand up to testing and I immediately ended up not only in the water of the deep end but actually under the cover. Adults everywhere and not a single one noticed aside from my mother that just happened to be looking outside from a kitchen window. She ran from there and jumped in fully clothed and pulled Lil Tad from an early demise.

Sooooo....these things can obviously happen in a blink of an eye and must be unfathomably horrible when they don't end like my little escapade.

I had a similar experience at the age of 5 in a community swimming pool. I wasn’t trying to walk on a pool cover, but all these adults & older kids in the pool were causing waves & I drifted to the deep end. No one was paying attention to me as I was literally fighting for my life to get to other side. Was waving my hand, trying to yell for help as I’m swallowing water & everything, no one paid attention. It was sheer will power, & survival instincts that got me through it. I had a phobia of swimming pools for yrs thereafter.

5 days later, my aunts’ neighbor lost her 3 yr old daughter in that same pool. The HOA buried & planted a garden over it. I remember how she never recovered, & like life was taken from her. Prayers for The Barrett family; this is something I wouldn’t wish on any parent.

I had a similar experience at the age of 5 in a community swimming pool. I wasn’t trying to walk on a pool cover, but all these adults & older kids in the pool were causing waves & I drifted to the deep end. No one was paying attention to me as I was literally fighting for my life to get to other side. Was waving my hand, trying to yell for help as I’m swallowing water & everything, no one paid attention. It was sheer will power, & survival instincts that got me through it. I had a phobia of swimming pools for yrs thereafter.

5 days later, my aunts’ neighbor lost her 3 yr old daughter in that same pool. The HOA buried & planted a garden over it. I remember how she never recovered, & like life was taken from her. Prayers for The Barrett family; this is something I wouldn’t wish on any parent.
Wow. That's crazy on two fronts- how survival instincts and such can kick in but also how someone else later died in that pool too. The latter made the hairs on my neck stand up a little. The pool in my story was also the site of a graduation party for one of my father's cousins the following year. Long story short, one of the graduating seniors there had a freak accident and banged his head on the diving board and ended up dying on that pool deck.

My dad's aunt still lives at that house and the pool is still used.

Advertisement
Back