Thoughts on the FAU Game

View as article
Advertisement
Look, I don't know if any of you guys have ever played football at the highschool or collegiate level, but it's worth considering that sometimes when an opponent is so inferior and you know you're going to win you prepare for them for two or three days and then move on to preparing for the better opponent next on the schedule. I think this is the case here, the play calling was very limited on defense and offense. There were lots of substitutions, which makes sense, especially given this schedule where we have a rough next few weeks ahead of us. After all, what other opportunities are you going to get to substitute as many guys in; FSU, Cincinnati? This was sloppy for a reason, we are looking for an LT, we are putting guys who aren't as good in for guys who are way better at safety. I think Golden is a weak coach too, but you gotta be fair in evaluating this especially given the fact that teams like FSU and Bama had struggles of their own this week.
I'm with u on that strategy I was thinking da same thing I just hope we're right and we show a big improvement against dem cornhuskers

* Isadora is wildly inconsistent but I can understand why the coaches consider him the most talented. He can turn and finish with great leverage. On many plays he'll look like a top pro prospect, then whiff. He's far superior at left guard than right guard. I have no idea why we occasionally switch him to the right side. The left needs more help

* I attended the FAU game and was never worried. Our rushing attempt numbers were always sufficient, even if they weren't always the type of rushes I prefer. The FAU crowd was wannabe everything. They tried to be rude and obnoxious but it felt forced. Likewise they never seemed to actually believe they had a chance to win. The traffic was much more tame than expectation. I got off one exit early on Palmetto something and cruised to campus. Then there was a bonus of free parking. I got in the green line for $15 cash parking. For a while they were directing cars to a grassy area and collecting fees. Then just in time for me they apparently shifted course and sent us to the center of campus and paved parking at no charge. I was astonished. I asked twice just to make sure. Then the very late finish made for cupcake driving on the way back.

* We're indeed still perimeter oriented but it's not nearly the fearful monopoly of James Coley's first year. Unfortunately it gets worse in the red zone. Nothing looks good there. I haven't seen any combination of routes that looks creative and dangerous. I think we got too complacent last year with Walford making tough high point grabs to bail us out.

* Kaaya is not wasting the entire play clock like last year. He's also improved his pocked movement a small but meaningful amount

* Our defensive front seven is so weak compared to ones I watched a day later on Saturday. LSU has young beasts. Likewise with Notre Dame. They have at least 3 guys who flash and dominate with freak plays, like the Canes of decades ago. That's an interesting matchup on Saturday with Georgia Tech traveling to South Bend. Justin Thomas will have to play out of his mind. That Notre Dame front will attack, and it's far superior to anything Georgia Tech has seen in its long stretch of offensive production dating to last season. With Shaq Mason gone, Georgia Tech's interior offensive line is noticeably weaker than last year. Even against Tulane almost everything they managed was on the perimeter or via passing. Paul Johnson didn't try to hide his frustration. At halftime he barked that they hadn't blocked the mike linebacker all game. I noticed. And the Notre Dame mike linebacker is among the handful of best players in the country, regardless of position. Too bad the quarterback got hurt. I thought Notre Dame at home in a near pick-em situation was a great bet in that game with Zaire playing. Somehow Georgia Tech continues to find wide receivers. Remarkable. They already have freshmen out there making plays and looking excellent. One of them runs fantastic routes.

* Golden took far more abuse from Canes fans making that road trip than I ever hear at our joint. It got so bad early third quarter that FAU fans were in hysterics at how some Canes fans were acting. I was in the end zone with a 50/50 split in allegiance everywhere close.

* From what I saw in the Nebraska/BYU game, the Cornhusker offensive line is not nearly as potent as last season. But the quarterback has made some strides and they have a Welker-like young receiver. With Mike Riley you always have to worry about jet sweeps and offshoots from that play. He'll abuse it all game long.

Look, I don't know if any of you guys have ever played football at the highschool or collegiate level, but it's worth considering that sometimes when an opponent is so inferior and you know you're going to win you prepare for them for two or three days and then move on to preparing for the better opponent next on the schedule. I think this is the case here, the play calling was very limited on defense and offense. There were lots of substitutions, which makes sense, especially given this schedule where we have a rough next few weeks ahead of us. After all, what other opportunities are you going to get to substitute as many guys in; FSU, Cincinnati? This was sloppy for a reason, we are looking for an LT, we are putting guys who aren't as good in for guys who are way better at safety. I think Golden is a weak coach too, but you gotta be fair in evaluating this especially given the fact that teams like FSU and Bama had struggles of their own this week.

Stopped reading after this. The irony of you pulling the ol' "I played football" card is that this literally never happens in real football.

I think what people are under-estimating is how bad our Linebacker play is. It's not just Kirby either. I'm re-watching the game right now and I'm about a minute away from halftime. Our Linebackers look terrible, Grace included. At least a couple of times he tried to finesse an O-lineman and completely took himself out of the play. Kirby (and McCord when he's in the box) have no nose for the ball. They're terrible within the tackle box. No awareness. No ability to read where the RB is headed and where to "fill". If the ball goes anywhere outside of the box Grace looks like a stud, but inside the box he plays like kinda like a Safety. Often looks like he's playing Ole' Ole' out there. Kirby, on the other hand, is just lost. I've actually seen him take his first steps backwards on some plays, like he thought it was a pass play. Either that or he's false stepping. And he plays extremely soft, which is a surprise considering the way he looks. He's not the attacker that I would expect him to be.

Other than Running Back I have yet to see one position on this team that we can count on. Maybe Safety is they actually leave our most talented guys in there and stop rotating them. I don't even feel great about Corner other than Corn. Against FAU Howard got abused on back-to-back plays and so did Burns. Howard got his **** ankles broken.

And don't get me started on the O-line. SMH

Advertisement
Good god how many ****** times since Golden has been there have people been saying "so and so offensive lineman is playing out of position?" He got lucky with Flowers but BWash, Linder, Feliciano, Darling.....how many guys are completely misused on the offensive line under this ******** watch? ****** embarrassing.

Good god how many ****** times since Golden has been there have people been saying "so and so offensive lineman is playing out of position?" He got lucky with Flowers but BWash, Linder, Feliciano, Darling.....how many guys are completely misused on the offensive line under this ******** watch? ****** embarrassing.

And OL has been one of the strengths under Golden's regime. Total **** show.

Good god how many ****in times since Golden has been there have people been saying "so and so offensive lineman is playing out of position?" He got lucky with Flowers but BWash, Linder, Feliciano, Darling.....how many guys are completely misused on the offensive line under this ******** watch? ****in embarrassing.

Routinely tries to make tackles out of guards.

Like they're interchangeable and there's no discernible difference between the two.

It's been maddening and they were getting ready to try and make Denver Kirkland a tackle as opposed to playing him at guard.

The young man has made himself a lot of money dominating at guard.

And OL has been one of the strengths under Golden's regime. Total **** show.

Kehoe is the only dude trying to match up puzzle pieces.

The rest of the position coaches and coordinators are just cramming and ripping them apart, trying to magically force a puzzle together.

Advertisement

This O-line is where we start to see his recruiting/development come into stage, right? Aren't all these current O-linemen his recruits? Flowers, Washington, Feliciano, Linder and Henderson were all Shannon/Stoutland.

Kehoe is extremely overrated as a coach. I know you guys love him and all but Stoutland was far superior.

Kehoe is extremely overrated as a coach. I know you guys love him and all but Stoutland was far superior.

Disagree with this. Stout was a beast recruiter but the line has played much better under Kehoe. Jacory used to get murked.

Some of that is Stoutland's recruits getting older, but Kehoe also developed guys like Jared Wheeler and Jeremy Lewis into professional football players.

Advertisement

Disagree with this. Stout was a beast recruiter but the line has played much better under Kehoe. Jacory used to get murked.

Some of that is Stoutland's recruits getting older, but Kehoe also developed guys like Jared Wheeler and Jeremy Lewis into professional football players.

Keep in mind, when I made that statement about Kehoe it wasn't a pure assumption made from the outside looking in. Remember, I coached a kid who was taught by both Stoutland and Kehoe.

Also, Stoutland's O-line had us finish with one of the best rushing seasons in Miami history. It was 2010 I believe. I don't remember. It's been a while since I've had a Stoutland debate. LOL

Last edited:
Good god how many ****in times since Golden has been there have people been saying "so and so offensive lineman is playing out of position?" He got lucky with Flowers but BWash, Linder, Feliciano, Darling.....how many guys are completely misused on the offensive line under this ******** watch? ****in embarrassing.

Like they're interchangeable and there's no discernible difference between the two.

It's been maddening and they were getting ready to try and make Denver Kirkland a tackle as opposed to playing him at guard.

Pretty sure Denver Kirkland is playing LT. And was playing at a very high level until the shoulder/arm injury on Saturday.

Advertisement

Keep in mind, when I made that statement about Kehoe it wasn't a pure assumption made from the outside looking in. Remember, I coached a kid who was taught by both Stoutland and Kehoe.

Kehoe is a polarizing guy. It's amazing how many football people have different opinions on him when they speak off the record.

I'm on the outside looking in, but Kehoe consistently produces good NFL players at a program that has no reason to be an OL factory. And he got Feliciano ready to play as a redshirt freshman. Most of the credit should go to the player, but Kehoe helped him reach his potential.

Pretty sure Denver Kirkland is playing LT. And was playing at a very high level until the shoulder/arm injury on Saturday.

Ain't seen them this year, but last year he was a kick *** guard and I thought he should have been a guard at Miami when he was being recruited

He's playing Tackle this year, and most people think it was a bad move. Arkansas isn't moving people in the run game this year like they did last year.

Kehoe is a polarizing guy. It's amazing how many football people have different opinions on him when they speak off the record.

I'm on the outside looking in, but Kehoe consistently produces good NFL players at a program that has no reason to be an OL factory. And he got Feliciano ready to play as a redshirt freshman. Most of the credit should go to the player, but Kehoe helped him reach his potential.

Stoutland was the first guy to coach Feliciano. And all those NFL players that he "produced" likely would've been NFL linemen with or without Kehoe. They had offers from everybody. kinda unfair to say that he "produced" them. Kehoe didn't turn Henderson, Linder, Feliciano and Flowers into NFL players. Those kids had offers from everybody and would've went to the NFL whether they were coached by Kehoe or not.

That point is very subjective. However, what's not subjective is the fact that Stoutland coached for Alabama and the Philadelphia Eagles after his stint at Miami.

Advertisement
Back