Thoughts on spring practice #2

View as article
I was already obviously confident we'd go undefeated but after 2 practices I'm honestly struggling to see how anyone scores on us.

Has an FBS team ever went undefeated and unscored upon? I'm sure something dumb will happen and we'll put walk-ons in against FSU in the first half and they'll get some lucky bounce, but other than that I just can't see it.

What do you guys think? When do we give up the first points of the season? Playoffs, at best, IMHO.

Advertisement
Lost 4 of last 5 but realistically the season as a whole felt different than previous years.
First season in a long time where Miami was actually in every game they played.

- Miami had a lead in EVERY game in 2023.
- Miami had a lead in 12 of the 13 games in 2H.

- 6 losses by a combined 48 points.

1. You lose big
2. You lose small
3. You win small
4. You win big

-R. C. Bowden

Lost 4 of last 5 but realistically the season as a whole felt different than previous years.
First season in a long time where Miami was actually in every game they played.

- Miami had a lead in EVERY game in 2023.
- Miami had a lead in 12 of the 13 games in 2H.

- 6 losses by a combined 48 points.
To put that into comparison, here’s the previous 3 years.

2022: 7 losses by a combined 146 points. Lost to FSU by 42 alone.

2021: Bama & MSU beat UM by a combined 52

2020: Only 3 losses but two of those (UNC & Clemson) by a combined 61.

To put that into comparison, here’s the previous 3 years.

2022: 7 losses by a combined 146 points. Lost to FSU by 42 alone.

2021: Bama & MSU beat UM by a combined 52

2020: Only 3 losses but two of those (UNC & Clemson) by a combined 61.

Yeah, anyone impartial would say we were much better last year. But at the end of the day, wins and losses are the only stat. The only one.

But yes, in years past, we had AT LEAST a couple games every single year that were just flat OVER well in the first half. That Bama game in 2021, my god. Just blown off the field in every capacity from jump street. I never felt that last year at all. So we were better. If we're "as better" in 2024 from 2023 as we were in 2023 to 2022, I see no reason the team can't win 10 games. That is and will always be the floor of expectations. 9-3 in year 3 with this roster and this schedule is flat out unacceptable. And I'll say that 500 more times until September. 10-2 is the only thing that will and should keep people away from Mario's throat.

Didn't he play both directions at the Allstar game, too? I vaguely recall that. ... Kid is too good catching balls though... Wheatley-Humphrey on the other hand. That's someone I wouldn't mind making the flip. He's too much of a tweener at RB or WR as of now, and I think we're going to recruit over and around him.
There's so many kids out here that could be elite CB's but don't want to buy-in to the process. They would rather run routes and catch balls. It's more glamorous. We're living in a very offensive centric world right now. (and ego centric)

Advertisement
I was already obviously confident we'd go undefeated but after 2 practices I'm honestly struggling to see how anyone scores on us.

Has an FBS team ever went undefeated and unscored upon? I'm sure something dumb will happen and we'll put walk-ons in against FSU in the first half and they'll get some lucky bounce, but other than that I just can't see it.

What do you guys think? When do we give up the first points of the season? Playoffs, at best, IMHO.
Points? When do you think we give up our first first down?

Realistically, I'm thinking late in the GA Tech game after our second string walk-ons come in for the first string walk-ons.

I'd be surprised if any team racks up more than 60 yards in a game

Just watched a vid of the QBs. One thing that stood out was ball placement. Ward, Puff and Emory looked great with JB getting better. I wish Emory was more athletic but he looks to have a great arm and be the future

Advertisement
There's so many kids out here that could be elite CB's but don't want to buy-in to the process. They would rather run routes and catch balls. It's more glamorous. We're living in a very offensive centric world right now. (and ego centric)
Someone needs to educate kids that there’s a lot of money to be made defending route runners.

It's all a trap!!! I'm falling for it for yet the UPTEENTH year in a row!!!!
It is until it isn't. Believe it or not these boards have been around since before Y2K and none of us believed it was real until it was, really after the Dorsey to Shockey 2000 FSU game. So there's every reason to be a skeptic until they prove otherwise. But I can tell you all the same things being said about Mario were said about Butch. In fact to me recollection it was much worse with Butch. (And I'm again hoping the Butch model wins out. Bad/mediocre gameday coaching and scheme is overcome by talent, assistants, and infrastructure)

I saw Yatil make some catches @ GreenTree that were beyond impressive....Then again, I saw Dre drop many passes @ GreenTree (His frosh yr) that were befuddling....Go figure...
I remember those practices.. It was a concern. But I also remember going into his sophomore year him torching everybody including PBuch and Rumph and thinking if these guys can't hang lol good luck Penn St DBs.

It is until it isn't. Believe it or not these boards have been around since before Y2K and none of us believed it was real until it was, really after the Dorsey to Shockey 2000 FSU game. So there's every reason to be a skeptic until they prove otherwise. But I can tell you all the same things being said about Mario were said about Butch. In fact to me recollection it was much worse with Butch. (And I'm again hoping the Butch model wins out. Bad/mediocre gameday coaching and scheme is overcome by talent, assistants, and infrastructure)
Of course brother, I'm just messing. I was in the stands for that game, was actually in the end zone and witnessed dorsey to shock. I was in school during the probation years, had Ed Reed, Davon Johnson, etc in my classes, I've been hopeful for quite some time, my friends have been laughing at the optimism all the while though...but with some fine tuning, I think Mario will get us to compete at the highest level. He's chipping away at it, and bleeds orange and green. Let's hope Mario evaluates his own coaching shortcomings and makes adjustments. Go Canes

Advertisement
I remember those practices.. It was a concern. But I also remember going into his sophomore year him torching everybody including PBuch and Rumph and thinking if these guys can't hang lol good luck Penn St DBs.

Curious as to any explanation for why Dre became such a reliable pass catcher when so many guys never cross that chasm? Hankerson also had stone hands and improved, if to a lesser extent. I saw guys catching tennis balls, obviously Jugs and reps. Is there a magic bullet, or unique to every kid?

Advertisement
Curious as to any explanation for why Dre became such a reliable pass catcher when so many guys never cross that chasm? Hankerson also had stone hands and improved, if to a lesser extent. I saw guys catching tennis balls, obviously Jugs and reps. Is there a magic bullet, or unique to every kid?
I actually think Dre got contacts at some point. Or at least that was the rumor.

100% agree. Dorsey to Shockey was when all doubts were removed at least in my mind. From thence forward, I knew we would be in a position to win every single game. and the flip side of that coin, is be careful what you wish for. . . . the three years (2000-2002) when we won 34 games in a row, i recall message board mope-ism if we gave up double digits points on defense or didnt score in the 40s. as for myself, I remember thinking games were not as fun to watch because you knew the result was never going to be in doubt. that's why this upcoming season can be one for a lifetime. will cam's qb play and our defense front 7 play put us in a position that bad gameday corching doesnt matter. 16-0 LFG.

Advertisement
Back