Thoughts on Schiano

I'm trying not to give too much thought to Mullen or Schiano at this point.

With that said, Schiano is solid from a defensive standpoint and I have a very strong preference for coaches that know defense....

Don't know much else about him other than that he had his moments at Rutgers and he was with the Bucs for awhile...

Not my first choice but the positives as I see them:

1. He was probably my favorite coordinator we had. Players made dramatic improvement from year to year in the two years he was here. Some may credit Butch for this which is certainly part of it but the defense was a dumpster fire in the UCLA and Syracuse games at the end of the season before GS showed up.

2. I know everyone scoffs at Rutgers but he made that a legitimate football school that is now in the Big 10

3. Pro coaching experience

4. Still relatively young.

Advertisement
Schiano is actually not very good at defense, that is misconception being thrown around alot on this board.

10487764-standard.jpg

So Peter King writes a fluff piece on Shiano for Sports Illustrated and this sells everybody on born-again Greg? Shoot me now! Like Peter King and his buds at SI aren't rolling on the floor laughing at Blake!

Advertisement
does anyone here think Schiano gets recruits hyped to come here? What about him as a head guy has he shown to make you think he would be anything other than an ******* version of golden?

Read up on him and his performance and see if you have same opinion.

You mean like how in his 5 years at Rutgers (after his "breakthrough" tie for a Big East title) he only went 16-19 in the Big East? He is not a strong hire any way you look at it.

Love Butch but hate Schiano? we had the best defence we ever seen with Schiano at the helm, i would love him as our DC but dont sleep on him with the X's and O's

Here's my thoughts on Schiano....

Was an avg coach in college, and **** poor coach in the NFL. Y in the world would we even consider him?

Advertisement
Subpar coach for a subpar college (Buttgers) and NFL Franchise (Yuccaneers).

Perfect fit for another subpar college program (Miami).

So sports illustrated does a story on the guy and all of a sudden he's a great coach and would do well here?

Given our recent failures at HC I just can't believe he's even in our top 4. We are literally obsessed with getting a "Miami guy" even though none of our 4 national title coaches had previous stints or ties to UM.

Advertisement
Advertisement
106th
95th
80th
90th
59th
8th
31st
19th
16th
62nd
8th

Schiano's points allowed/game while at Rutgers. When Schiano took over Rutgers hadn't been in the top 90 in PA/G since 1994 where they were 54th. It took time, but he did improve their defense at the end for the most part.

His best offense was 22nd and he generally was in the 30-55th range after his first few years. Basically, if we hire Schiano, much like Butch, I want to see a great great GREAT offensive staff to help me feel comfortable. I do believe he'd field some good defenses, but his offensive side scares me deeply.

I don't really want the Schiano hire, but the aggression and defensive play will be a nice change of pace. Unfortunately the program needs a lot more than that, so he'll need a very good staff to help him out or else we'll be in this situation again in 5 years.

106th
95th
80th
90th
59th
8th
31st
19th
16th
62nd
8th

Schiano's points allowed/game while at Rutgers. When Schiano took over Rutgers hadn't been in the top 90 in PA/G since 1994 where they were 54th. It took time, but he did improve their defense at the end for the most part.

His best offense was 22nd and he generally was in the 30-55th range after his first few years. Basically, if we hire Schiano, much like Butch, I want to see a great great GREAT offensive staff to help me feel comfortable. I do believe he'd field some good defenses, but his offensive side scares me deeply.

I don't really want the Schiano hire, but the aggression and defensive play will be a nice change of pace. Unfortunately the program needs a lot more than that, so he'll need a very good staff to help him out or else we'll be in this situation again in 5 years.

I prefer to win games, Schiano doesn't do that.

106th
95th
80th
90th
59th
8th
31st
19th
16th
62nd
8th

I prefer to win games, Schiano doesn't do that.

No kidding, that's why I said the program needs a lot more than that.

Advertisement
Back