Thoughts on Randy Shannon coming back as DC?

My old mind could be foggy but didn't our problems stopping QB running up the middle start when Randy took over as DC? I know he was DC during last NC year, but Reed kind of coached that team from the field. Am I wrong? I know the next year we couldn't stop that OSU QB running. If so then given today's offenses then No to Randy as DC.

We played a lot of man defense which resulted in us becoming more exposed to qb's running. We were actually solid against the running qb's that ran first, but we sucked it up againt the Krenzel's of the world who would drop back to pass and run as everyone was covered. We improved against this in years to come but it probably cost us a national title moreso than "the call". My biggest issue with Shannon is we mainly only played Cover 2 and when we didn't get much pressure with the front seven, his only blitz was to bring Antrel from the corner which worked against FSU but not against anyone else. There is a reason they called him Blandy. He wasn't that great of a DC but he had a ton of talent to work with and he did make sure they were accountable to do their jobs.

Advertisement
no.gif

Advertisement
Back