Thoughts on moving Mauigoa to guard?

Advertisement
The only way I consider this is if Bell is as good as advertised and if McCoy is as good as this board has made him out to be. If both of the above are true..you have to consider it.

I counted double digit holding this year. I know. He is a freshman and did a solid job over all. And the kid that went in for Cohen played well too.

Just a discussion.
I was thinking that same thing. Give Bell, Okunola, or Nelson the OT roles and Cooper and Mauigoa the guards.

Yeah it’s a good problem to have

I’ve actually brought up moving Mauigoa a few times this year as well. If Rivers comes back him at LT and Bell at RT (I’m also a huge Samson fan like most)

But all that being said there’s no real reason to move Mauigoa other than when I’ve watched what Cohen does in this offense, I could see Mauigoa filling that spot easily, and probably being even better

So it’s not necessarily a demotion for Mauigoa, it’s that he’s by far the best replacement on the team for Cohen
That's an interesting take and suggestion; I enjoyed watching Mauigoa blocking in space and on the move (did seem as the year progressed the run scheme limited the amoung of pulling and movement from the OL...not sure how accurate that is though).

Advertisement
he’s struggled with speed rush this year. I’m sure he will improve next year but it’s a matter of putting out your best 5. If McCoy at tackle and FM at guard gives you that, then you roll with it. If we lose Lee, we have to find a way to keep rivers because Samson needs more time to develop

That’s fair and we’ve watched enough of this to know you don’t just pencil someone in because of how they look in high school or JUCO

We have a lot of tackle options so we will see who steps up and who steps out
The multitude of tackle options is such a novelty with this program. For years, we've had a surplus of guards (and short squaty ones at that) and tried to figure out which ones would be the least disasterous at either of the tackle positions.

So much easier to move guys in than move guys out; crazy that for 20 years we've taken the opposite approach with the OL

Advertisement
Need to see how Samson does recovering from his injury as well as the development of McCoy and Kinsler.

If none of the other options are sure fire better than Mauigoa, then I don't see a reason to move him. Building consistency at OL expecially at LT would be great.

Samson-McCoy-Tripp-Cooper-Mauigoa with Kinsler rotating in as we saw with Samson and McCoy during the year is potentially a great iteration of the Mirabel Wall.
Whats his recovery time, 2 year?

Advertisement
Also he needs to learn to help his teammates off the ground, that **** irks me for some reason, especially when you give up a smashing sack and you just stand there with your QB buried.. wtf

Advertisement
OL definitely has potential, if not expectation, of having an ELITE line next year.
And if this is the case, a powerful offense is possible.
Don’t know why the pros don’t build from the line up. Dolphins need all new line. Imagine the possibilities there.

Going to be interesting to see how the offseason pans out for the OL. If Rivers and Lee stay or go, how Samson and Kinsler progress, how Bell looks, etc.

Best case it’s the 5 we saw out there yesterday once Cohen was out (Rivers, Mccoy/Francis, Lee, Cooper, McCoy/Francis)

Let me get this straight: for the first time in decades we have an OL that finally performs as an aggressive unit, and you want to single out a freshman who played **** well to start playing musical positions again? Why because it worked so well with DJ Scaife and that crew?

This fan base, ****...

Advertisement
Back