Thoughts from seeing the game live

If Knighton starts to figure out that he should be trying to make guys miss, instead of constantly seeking to run thru ppl, he will be really dangerous in open field. I don't know who is better but they both can be special

This. Appreciate Knighton's "toughness" but its painful watching his small frame lower the shoulder for 1 yard gains...Rather him cutback and bounce outside for chance for 5-10+ yard gain even if half of them are a 1-2 yard loss..

Advertisement
On offense like @DMoney said unless king is hurt or something he needs to tuck it and run I've seen in almost every game but clemson he has had an easy keeper for 10 yards and has still not kept and run. Miami needs to incorporate rpo more with it being run more miami could be very scary

Let’s be happy we aren’t fans of those teams.

Their combined record is 7-10.
What was your W-L prediction and do you still think we can hit that mark? I might get slammed for this, but just win and keep this class together. We need to stack multiple great classes together.

Advertisement
What was your W-L prediction, and do you still think we can hit that mark? I might get slammed for this, but just win and keep this class together. We need to stack multiple great classes together.

I didn’t make an official prediction but I thought we’d lose to Clemson and drop another ACC game. Hope I’m off by one.

I didn’t make an official prediction but I thought we’d lose to Clemson and drop another ACC game. Hope I’m off by one.
You might be and I hope so. N.C. State just gave up 350 yards I think on the ground to UNC and VT does not a good run defense either. Hoping we can right that ship because these next two games are pivotal to a successful season.

Let’s be happy we aren’t fans of those teams.

Their combined record is 7-10.
Who cares about that? Those teams teams are irrelevant in the big picture of CFB. As far as I’m concerned you’re looking way to short term. The biggest thing I wanted this year was showing improvement and to me we have failed in that category. And before people start with the “5-1” chit, like people have stated in other threads we have beat the same teams from last year in similar fashion and are STILL showing signs of a terribly coached team, we also did not look good against UAB either, that’s the reality. My main point is that Manny is not and will never be the guy so cares about these irrelevant victories and record. It’s just papering over the cracks. And who’s to say we would vastly improve with this current recruiting class because the coaches don’t put the players in position to succeed anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
I hate to be that guy but we gotta start somewhere guys it's obvious we are not world beater we are comparing these canes to those of past our biggest mistake. Those teams were not built over night and the teams we see now at the top were not built over night. It looks like we are taking steps in the right direction

My takeaway from the game completely based on eye test:

Pros:
- A game in the pouring rain, against a gimmicky offense with multiple mobile qbs? We've lost this game every time for the last 10 years
- King was nails yesterday. Big-time throw after big-time throw. It's a blessing to have that type of qb
- Receivers finally showed up a bit. We still had some drops and ineffective play, but they made plenty of plays yesterday, which honestly should be the expectation given that it seems receivers all across the nation are making big plays and tough catches
- Nice to see players finally develop a bit. Frierson, Chaney, Mallory, showing up on a consistent basis now, nice change from previous years

Cons:
- Why is our defense always so **** easy to play against? Backup qbs always seem to pick us apart, mobile qbs always find a way to get yards on the ground against us. Opposing running games seemingly have easier times running against us than vice versa every single week. Other teams have receivers that make tough, contested catches, they have players that break tackles. Its felt this way for the last 10 years. What is it about our defense that makes it seem this way?
- It feels like our d-line wilts when they face a mobile qb. Their aggression gets used against them, they rush upfield, run past the qb, and then the qb is free to run for 10 yards. Whereas teams with elite d-lines, they seem to collapse the pocket from the interior and right into the face of the qb. And then our d-line starts to play passive after they've gotten gouged a few times which is just as bad
- At some point we have to find an o-line group that can effectively run the ball when everyone in the stadium knows we're going to run the ball, right? Lack of creativity is hurting for sure, but we're not even getting 2 or 3 yards, its stopped dead at the line time and time again.
- Something is up with King for sure. There are a few times a game where its clear as day that King pulling it will at LEAST gain 5 yards, and likely MUCH more. Then you have the indirect threat of King pulling the ball consistently, which makes the defense hesitate for that split second which i feel like is a pretty big deal for this offense
- Going back to the defense, Blake Baker may end up being the thing that costs Manny the job here. I don't think Manny is great by any means, but if he had above average coordinators on both sides, we could win 10 games a bunch of times under Manny given our crappy schedules and be that team that's always RIGHT there and therefore we can't fire Manny. Kind of like Richt at UGA, always a game away from doing something big. And maybe you sneak into a playoff or two if things break right. But Baker is in over his head, and IDK if Manny has the balls to fire him.

My Completely unanalytical take on things, and its very likely I let alcohol and 15 years of frustration leak into my perception of the game
Lol at Manny having balls

Another situation in the 4th that had me upset was the 4th a 4 on UVAs 40ish yard line. I wish Manny and Lashlee went for it. There was like 7 minutes left and they didn’t have any TO’s left. I felt like we could have gotten that first down and we would have been in fg range at worst.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I agree with most everything you wrote. It's important to be comfortable saying things are not good enough, without going the other way and saying everything is trash.

I hadn't seen my nephew in a while and he stopped by yesterday after getting out of the military. He asked how the Canes were doing and I said they've only lost once, and it was to Clemson. He replied, "that's a really good season for them after last year. I mean, everyone loses to Clemson so that's not a surprise."

To me, that was a good reminder that the team is where we could've hoped, it's just the natural roller coaster of being a fan. Gotta see if anything has actually changed by how we close the season. I think with tie breakers we would still miss the ACCCG even if we win out, if Notre Dame only loses to Clemson, or UNC only loses to us, but that has time to shake itself out.

For now, focus internally and try to clean up what can be cleaned up.
With UNC already loosing to FSU if we win out and UNC beats ND then Clemson would be undefeated and we would have only 1 loss. We would get the bid to the ACCCG, that scenario there is no ties

I agree with most everything you wrote. It's important to be comfortable saying things are not good enough, without going the other way and saying everything is trash.

I hadn't seen my nephew in a while and he stopped by yesterday after getting out of the military. He asked how the Canes were doing and I said they've only lost once, and it was to Clemson. He replied, "that's a really good season for them after last year. I mean, everyone loses to Clemson so that's not a surprise."

To me, that was a good reminder that the team is where we could've hoped, it's just the natural roller coaster of being a fan. Gotta see if anything has actually changed by how we close the season. I think with tie breakers we would still miss the ACCCG even if we win out, if Notre Dame only loses to Clemson, or UNC only loses to us, but that has time to shake itself out.

For now, focus internally and try to clean up what can be cleaned up.
Why is that important? You have to spin it just right? It’s a free board, it can be said any way someone wants to say it.

Advertisement
Back