Thoughts from seeing the game live

- Jaelen Phillips lacks a plan as a rusher. He is all effort and explosive power, like a young Olivier Vernon. The pass rush has been an overall disappointment and needs to get going down the stretch. We miss those Rousseau-at-DT alignments that everyone complained about. The team's sack percentage has dropped from 11.03% (2nd in nation) to 6.10%.

- I didn't love Manny's demeanor after the game. Relief is fine because it is hard to win. But there was an effort issue in the first half and a focus issue on UVA's last TD drive. Those habits need to be called out and corrected. Is he just building up a 5-6 team’s confidence, or is he too nice?

- Few things would be more "Miami" than Phillips leaving early. He needs work and film. He may leave early to be someone's 3rd-4th round pick, or this staff can convince him the risk is worth the reward. We probably know how that will end up.

- I'm not sure people complained about the Rousseau-at-DT alignments when they were novel. Most of us noted that, once teams gameplanned for Rousseau lined up over the center, they became far, far less effective and, at some points, a liability. And, I think that's a bit of what we see overall on defense. We do something well. We fail to anticipate the opponent will change. We pay the consequences. Is it 6 weeks in a row where our head coach, who is also a former D-Coordinator, says "they're doing something we didn't see on film." Is the implication that we predominantly prepare for what teams show on film? We'll be forever ******* surprised, I guess.

- With you on Manny's demeanor and overall approach. The "too nice" thing is a common board thing because of some comments over the past couple weeks, but I've been saying this since last season: the substance/hype thing is far more concerning (see picture).

Substance over hype, please.png

Advertisement
bull**** ... i watched cincinatti last night ... more disciplined and better coaching ... we're a step behind them
Some teams will consistently beat the bad teams and lose to the great teams. After the absolute dominance that Bama and Clemson display week in and week out, that's what I consider the next tier because I am such a stubborn homer that I don't really understand or appreciate what other teams and coaching staffs in the nation are doing.

We're 5-1 bro. Miami is next tier. FACTS

Don Chaney is our best running back on the team... he is like a combination of Robert Burns in terms of power and Jaylon Knighton in terms of speed. I maybe off but he looks like he has more lateral quickness / agility than Knighton. He has the potential to be the best UM running back since McGahee.

We ask if we can get thru the bye week when the bye week should be a huge opportunity for the team to get better.

The fact that we have to worry about the bye week is indictment on the head coach.
You're not wrong and that's why he pointed to it as a chance to see if anything has changed.

If the goal is to have Dabo or Saban as your head coach, I am > 95% confidence level Manny is not that. Also, keep in mind you are talking two guys who will go down on the Mt. Rushmore of college football. Most likely, due to the nature of the school, program, alumni base, Miami will NEVER have one of those guys as the HC, or at least for very long.

For me, the goal is to have a guy who doesn't lose you games and continues to grow into his role. I hold onto the fact that Manny has grown from year one to year two. If he shows some signs of growth and the team goes 9-2, I don't see how we couldn't be happy with that. Then it resets in year three and you want to see growth in areas again. Isn't that what you would expect from any employee in any walk of life? I tell my analysts at their review that if they are the same person at this point next year, their review will be worse, not the same. The expectation is continued growth.

I see no reason why it would be different for Manny. He's learning and improving. Gotta see if he has the key aspect, which is the ability to make people better than they believe their best is. It is a rare skill, believe me. Outliers are outliers for a reason and Dabo and Saban and Urban are outliers, not the norms.

Advertisement
You're not wrong and that's why he pointed to it as a chance to see if anything has changed.

If the goal is to have Dabo or Saban as your head coach, I am > 95% confidence level Manny is not that. Also, keep in mind you are talking two guys who will go down on the Mt. Rushmore of college football. Most likely, due to the nature of the school, program, alumni base, Miami will NEVER have one of those guys as the HC, or at least for very long.

For me, the goal is to have a guy who doesn't lose you games and continues to grow into his role. I hold onto the fact that Manny has grown from year one to year two. If he shows some signs of growth and the team goes 9-2, I don't see how we couldn't be happy with that. Then it resets in year three and you want to see growth in areas again. Isn't that what you would expect from any employee in any walk of life? I tell my analysts at their review that if they are the same person at this point next year, their review will be worse, not the same. The expectation is continued growth.

I see no reason why it would be different for Manny. He's learning and improving. Gotta see if he has the key aspect, which is the ability to make people better than they believe their best is. It is a rare skill, believe me. Outliers are outliers for a reason and Dabo and Saban and Urban are outliers, not the norms.
Appreciate your comment, but I'm not sure if you intended to respond to someone else's post. I didn't refer to or compare Manny to any other head coach.

You don't need to be Dabo or Saban to win the bye week. The team should improve and be well prepared for the next game. That's a standard for any head coach.

Half of this board comes alive at any sign of struggle or weakness in the Canes programme.

You live and breathe for these snarky comments.
Any sign? I've got a full buffet of signs to pick from and so does every member of this board. Those who laughably defend what they're seeing as if it's any different from the past 15 years deserve to have snarky comments thrown in their face.

Advertisement
To be honest I could care less about the stats and all that bullchit. To me, the most important is the eye test.. and we look like a bad team. I’m no expert but I watch plenty of college football and I can firmly say we are one of the most undisciplined and poorly coached teams in the country.

Don Chaney is our best running back on the team... he is like a combination of Robert Burns in terms of power and Jaylon Knighton in terms of speed. I maybe off but he looks like he has more lateral quickness / agility than Knighton. He has the potential to be the best UM running back since McGahee.
If Knighton starts to figure out that he should be trying to make guys miss, instead of constantly seeking to run thru ppl, he will be really dangerous in open field. I don't know who is better but they both can be special

the only thing that concerns me is that we rarely capitalize on bye weeks ... we normally regress
That was last year we had to play Clemson after our bye week. Could give us a month and it wouldn’t make a difference. This is where we see if there is growth

This team needs a lot of work. Tonight felt like the last two UVA slogs. We were lucky to win. UVA blew a pick-6 on a screen and committed several bailout penalties. Another performance like that is likely a loss.

But we aren't the 2002 Canes sleepwalking against Rutgers. This team isn’t good enough for fans to take wins for granted. There are four teams that should expect a blow out every game. We aren’t one of them.

I’ll take 5-1. Most teams would. Am I saying Manny’s the guy? Of course not. Last year was one of the worst seasons in Canes history. There’s a lot of ground to make up. But we asked for a modern offense and consistent wins against inferior ACC teams. So far, we’ve gotten what we’ve asked for.

The real test is November. That's where Miami seasons go to die. The first step is beating the bye week. That's been one of Manny's toughest opponents.

On to the specifics of the game.

- One of our problems on the OL is that we have three centers on the interior. Scaife lacks the anchor strength of a guard. He is someone who can play a solid T in college and is best long-term as a C. That was his evaluation out of high school and remains true today. Donaldson should be motivated to get his body right because he has a huge role waiting for him. Jalen Rivers also shuffled in on a 4th down play (it was aborted because of a bad sub) and may be more of a factor going forward.

- With that said, our OL was not that bad pass blocking. King had some nice pockets, even when Virginia brought pressure. Some of the busted plays were due to coverage or King not making quick enough decisions.

- The run game is a different story, as there is both a lack of push and a lack of imagination. This bye week is a good time to add some wrinkles there.

- Something is definitely up with King's running. He is either hurt or protecting himself. It's not only the read-option. From the stadium view, there was a ton of green grass on those scrambles if King takes off earlier. He's still an excellent college QB (322 yards, 70% in the air) but he's not going to win out without the running element of his game.

- Happy to see Harley step up. This is what I expected out of camp. He's nowhere near a #1 but he is the best receiver on this team. Pope is still not there but is moving in the right direction. Wiggins has no confidence and is a liability right now.

- This offense lacks a run-after-the-catch WR. Lashlee's offense works much better when he has a playmaker on those quick screens. Hopefully that is solved with the '21 class. When Brevin comes back, I would have him and Mallory running those plays on the same side. They are our two best RAC guys and our two best perimeter blockers.

- Jaelen Phillips lacks a plan as a rusher. He is all effort and explosive power, like a young Olivier Vernon. The pass rush has been an overall disappointment and needs to get going down the stretch. We miss those Rousseau-at-DT alignments that everyone complained about. The team's sack percentage has dropped from 11.03% (2nd in nation) to 6.10%.

- Virginia is not good, but they are better than 1-4 with Armstrong at QB. This reminded of the Clemson/UVA game with UVA's veteran OL slowing down a more athletic front. Clemson won by 13 more points, which reflects the current gap between the two programs.

- Gilbert Frierson is one of the smartest players we've had in a while. He made a key third-down stop early in the 3rd when UVA brought #99 across the formation and Frierson sniffed it out the whole way. I would give him a gold star if not for his poor tackling on #13's long catch-and-run. He grabbed at the waist like a sixth-grade slow dance. Overall, we need to clean up our tackling technique when runs reach the third level. It hurt us against Clemson and UVA.

- Don Chaney's TD was an example of a superior talent imposing his will. People have been forecasting a Chaney growth spurt for years (his dad is 6'6, 350) and now we've seen it. He looks like Todd Gurley. This is the biggest reason for optimism: Miami is starting to land elite-tier physical talents like Chaney, James Williams and Leonard Taylor instead of letting them leave home.

- Charles Snowden was the best defensive player on the field. A lot of his plays were superior individual efforts. Glad he's gone.

- The defense made two inexcusable mental errors on the drive to make it 19-14. Steed was barely lined up for Armstrong's long 4th down run and got stuck in no-man's land. Blades fell asleep on the long TD, and from the stands you could see he lacked urgency before the snap. Virginia, on the other hand, was very aware in taking away plays (like the 2-point conversion) and generally had better energy.

- I didn't love Manny's demeanor after the game. Relief is fine because it is hard to win. But there was an effort issue in the first half and a focus issue on UVA's last TD drive. Those habits need to be called out and corrected. Is he just building up a 5-6 team’s confidence, or is he too nice?

- The key drive was the 13-play drive that resulted in a FG. I think we pull away if that's a TD. Instead, it was a FG and the game was a struggle to the end. Lashlee had a tough decision: do you ride the hot hand with Chaney or use his threat to set something up? He's going to need to thoroughly evaluate his red zone offense during the bye week.

- Overall, it's a good week for a bye. Get guys back from COVID, make some adjustments offensively and heal up. It's a good thing us fans are still emotionally invested and frustrated. That means the games still matter.
I was also at the game live and this is an excellent writeup.

Advertisement
Steed also made a huge TFL and I was happy to see him on the field. He's had a ton of adversity and should only keep getting better. Everybody had a bad moment throughout the game.
It was one of those games. We out mucked them. That deserves some type of credit.

Ok we know u think Diaz isn't the guy. It's just scary when 5-1 makes the higher ups think he's the guy....then bang months later he get hit with a 10 year extension.
The problem is I fear they don't know....that's the biggest problem with Miami.

Preach.

Advertisement
Outside of the W/L record, this team has not improved much since the UAB game. It’s arguable we have regressed which is mind boggling considering the amount of talent on this team. This is my biggest concern with Diaz. It’s year 5 with Diaz and our Defense is worse than our Defense in 2016. That should not be the case.

Ok we know u think Diaz isn't the guy. It's just scary when 5-1 makes the higher ups think he's the guy....then bang months later he get hit with a 10 year extension.
The problem is I fear they don't know....that's the biggest problem with Miami.
The problem is that the AD and administration are satisfied with .500 seasons. They still get ACC money so they don't care that the program is mediocre.

Advertisement
Back