Thought Experiment

Texas A&M, MTSU, UNC and Duke were all winnable games.

With a competent OC we could've beaten A&M. If we don't have the disappointing loss against A&M, maybe we don't sleep walk through MTSU.

With a competent OC maybe we don't get TVD injured against Duke and have less than 8 turnovers or whatever it was. UNC is hard to say because if I remember correctly the offense played OK.

Overall it's hard to say cause the defense didn't play very well in some of these losses, but maybe 2-3 more wins, and some closer score lines in the other losses.

Advertisement
I thought the reason why we went 5-7 was because we didn’t have any talent?

Now yall are saying we would’ve won more games with a better Offensive coach?

Interesting...

OP said that?

Wonder how Dawson woulda slowed down that vaunted offense.. They ran over, around, by us alllllllllllll game long
It shouldn’t have mattered. We’re not supposed to lose to mtsu ever. They don’t have more talent than us. It starts with that not so cohesive staff.

I think some people chose to keep their heads in the sand longer than others. We obviously have major holes on the roster, but it should be clear to most that Gattis cost us games by trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.
What games? I mean we got BLOWN out most games

I am so glad gattis is gone but im not sure we win more than 1-2 more games with anyone else due to our terrible defense and our injuries

Duke is on the turnovers 100%

Middle Tennessee state is on TVD and the defense in my opinion, giving up 42 to middle Tennessee is a ******* embarrassment

Florida state? Maybe but on our 3rd string qb and giving up 45 , it could have been closer but would we win? No

Pitt? Maybe but again gave up 40

UNC and aTm are the two games we win with a different OC but that’s it I think

Advertisement
Desus And Mero Pass GIF by Bernie Sanders

Full disclosure: in case you didn’t see my initial comment after the hire, I was not jumping for joy when Dawson was announced. I’m happy with the system he plans to run, but I have a lot of questions about the man steering the ship.

With that said, there is no doubt in my mind that Dawson would have been much better than Gattis last year, so here’s my question:

If Dawson was our OC in 2022, what’s our record? I could see 8-4. Obviously, a healthy TVD is the variable.

Thoughts?

6 Ws (low end) to 8 Ws (high end) with Dawson. Even when he has a massive talent advantage and a team full of his own handpicked players, Cristobal has a tendency to lose around 2 games a season to inferior opponents. So right away we can put 12 as Cristobals absolute ceiling, best case scenario and the planets aligning, with all his own recruits. 12 wins is Maximum Cristobal 3-4 years from now.

Then factor in that the majority of the players didn't like Cristobal because he cranked the intensity of practice to 11, yet the players didn't perform any better. Not liking Cristobal led to a lack of effort, especially when they played a more physical team. Team folded as soon as it got punched in the mouth. So that's at least another two Ls.

Related to the intensity is the injury bug. It's well documented that Oregon had a lot of injuries under Cristobal. Maybe it's just a run of bad luck. In any case, we would be all but assured we'd be down key players at some point. So that's another 2 games.

Then there may be losses to equally or more talented teams. Let's say at least two of those on the schedule. If I'm optimistic, he somehow coaches to victory in both games and gets to 8 Ws. Pessimist would be 6 Ws. Since the variable in your question is Dawson instead of Gattis, I'll be an optimist and say Cristobal gets 8 Ws.

Advertisement
Full disclosure: in case you didn’t see my initial comment after the hire, I was not jumping for joy when Dawson was announced. I’m happy with the system he plans to run, but I have a lot of questions about the man steering the ship.

With that said, there is no doubt in my mind that Dawson would have been much better than Gattis last year, so here’s my question:

If Dawson was our OC in 2022, what’s our record? I could see 8-4. Obviously, a healthy TVD is the variable.

Thoughts?
I’m more interested in what you think about the mad steering the ship. What do you think of him?

Thoughts?

This is a good post and should be sensible discussion.

Of the 7 losses, 3 were directly attributed to the offense being putrid (8&4, MTSU, and UNC).

The rest of them, the defense really **** the bed, or the team was so banged up that the offense wouldn’t have mattered with Seymore getting clobbered at RG.

Advertisement
Nope just closer loses, doesnt change the record. We still had 3 centers and 2 guards playing oline. Horrible recruiting there.

Agreed, but that was near the end of the year.

Talent was there at the beginning of the year before all of the injuries hit.

Texas A&M, MTSU, UNC and Duke were all winnable games.

With a competent OC we could've beaten A&M. If we don't have the disappointing loss against A&M, maybe we don't sleep walk through MTSU.

With a competent OC maybe we don't get TVD injured against Duke and have less than 8 turnovers or whatever it was. UNC is hard to say because if I remember correctly the offense played OK.

Overall it's hard to say cause the defense didn't play very well in some of these losses, but maybe 2-3 more wins, and some closer score lines in the other losses.

My thought is that aTm, MTSU, and UNCCH were all flippable to W's w/ Dawson or any competent OC. Duke is another as you mention had we not had so many gosh awful turnovers. At the least 8-4 w/ an outside chance of 9-3. There was enough talent on the roster to accomplish this.

Advertisement
There's a chance we beat TAMU, UNC and MTSU.

Probably keep it closer vs Duke, but our defense that game, woof.

Hard to make these past predictions cause, we still have a problem with a good receiver and injuries EVERYWHERE.

Thoughts?
6-6

Advertisement
Back