Those who were saying that Flagg was too slow to be effective...

Advertisement
Amen to that. Zach Thomas was one of the best college linebackers I ever saw. One of the best pros as well. People just don't understand the importance of instincts. They get so fixated on size and speed that they completely ignore the absolute most important trait for a LB to have. Instincts. If you are 6'3" 245 and run a 4.3 40, it means nothing if you don't know where the **** you're going.
Zach was the man.

The kid can play. He gets to the action more than quick enough. I saw our vaunted LBs the past few years go to the wrong spot and miss the play. Quickness and speed mean little if you're going to the wrong place. You just get their faster. I didn't watch this kid too much, but he's mature beyond a true freshman and has it upstairs.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Can’t coach instincts. He sees the game well. Natural LB. Just feels the game. Plays inside out and slides well into between blockers. Doesn’t attach himself to the OL. I like what I see so far.

If we use him correctly, he should continue to progress. If a player lacks speed - but has great instincts and feel, they can still play on an elite level.

Yea people who dont know **** about football just always go on about speed its the only thing you can attempt to quantify/measure...

Im not even on the bandwagon that bad but dudes who said he wasnt a take need to come own their L.

I saw a play where he chased a guy down sideline to sideline i was impressed but and that's a big but.....like always it was a slow pitt player. We should pop off the screen against slow teams like Pitt.....we looked like hmmmm how can I describe it......that's not UM if u get what I mean we looked I dunno like a big ten team.

And yes I will lead that brigade with Flagg and can guarantee he will not be a legendary UM backer. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but when we recruit a position I expect savagery always from any position. And I always want speed and explosiveness regardless of position....except OL and kicker obviously.

Also after one game I will still say he's not UM caliber (again I'm caliber of my time growing up not TNM) cause I think people have forgotten what we used to see.
you post this stuff like it's a revelation... anyone w/ two eyes can tell flagg is not on the level of "what we used to see." alas, it is possible to be good at college football even if you're not michael barrow or jon vilma. you can "guarantee he will not be a legendary UM backer" ... really going out on a limb lmao. any other incredible insights you can provide?

I’ll chime in since I was vehemently against the offer;

I said I hope I’m wrong, as I am w/ any recruit that’s a ?able offer. What I said was this looks like a good, fundamental kid thats been coached up in a scheme. But he doesn’t look explosive or twitchy to play at a big time program.

He still looks the same, nothing has changed my mind about that. He’s an IQ guy, and sometimes that’s more important than raw athleticism, b/c if you recognize a formation before a snap, your eyes/instincts will allow you to react quicker, thus whatever speed or natural athleticism issues there may be, its cut down tremendously.

Now; let’s be honest...fans said he sucked after The Clemson game, and I defended him saying he was thrust in after the game was getting out of hand, but he played well under the circumstances. Today (or yesterday for my bros in the East), he played better against a team that is one of the worst rushing teams and a game plan that was “allegedly” dumbed down due to Pickett not playing.

I feel we both trash & crown players way too soon. After Clemson, he looked a little green, today (or yesterday) he looked better. One thing I will say is that he’s a natural MIKE, so that could pay dividends. All in all, he had a solid game, and think he, along w the rest of the pups, be continuously integrated since none of the upper classmen (except, Bolden, Rochè, & Phillips) have separated themselves from the youngins.

Advertisement
I’ll chime in since I was vehemently against the offer;

I said I hope I’m wrong, as I am w/ any recruit that’s a ?able offer. What I said was this looks like a good, fundamental kid thats been coached up in a scheme. But he doesn’t look explosive or twitchy to play at a big time program.

He still looks the same, nothing has changed my mind about that. He’s an IQ guy, and sometimes that’s more important than raw athleticism, b/c if you recognize a formation before a snap, your eyes/instincts will allow you to react quicker, thus whatever speed or natural athleticism issues there may be, its cut down tremendously.

Now; let’s be honest...fans said he sucked after The Clemson game, and I defended him saying he was thrust in after the game was getting out of hand, but he played well under the circumstances. Today (or yesterday for my bros in the East), he played better against a team that is one of the worst rushing teams and a game plan that was “allegedly” dumbed down due to Pickett not playing.

I feel we both trash & crown players way too soon. After Clemson, he looked a little green, today (or yesterday) he looked better. One thing I will say is that he’s a natural MIKE, so that could pay dividends. All in all, he had a solid game, and think he, along w the rest of the pups, be continuously integrated since none of the upper classmen (except, Bolden, Rochè, & Phillips) have separated themselves from the youngins.

Two LBs.
LB1 runs a 4.8 40, is instinctive, and never misses tackles
LB2 runs a 4.5 40, takes a second or two to process what he's seeing, and is a mediocre tackler.

You will win more games with LB1 than with the much faster LB2. Yes, the lack of speed may be a problem when playing a team like Clemson. But for the other 11 games, LB1 is more dependable and can keep a 4 yard run from becoming a 60 yard run. I know some hate our LB corps, but I actually like the mix of LBs. You have speedy studs like Brooks and Huff and tackling machines like Flagg and TAC. It gives a DC situational flexibility.

Two LBs.
LB1 runs a 4.8 40, is instinctive, and never misses tackles
LB2 runs a 4.5 40, takes a second or two to process what he's seeing, and is a mediocre tackler.

You will win more games with LB1 than with the much faster LB2. Yes, the lack of speed may be a problem when playing a team like Clemson. But for the other 11 games, LB1 is more dependable and can keep a 4 yard run from becoming a 60 yard run. I know some hate our LB corps, but I actually like the mix of LBs. You have speedy studs like Brooks and Huff and tackling machines like Flagg and TAC. It gives a DC situational flexibility.
The last part of your statement is spot on; However, I’m getting real worried about not seeing Huff.

I said we beat pitt by ten that was my marker....I said we would give up chunks plays but win. What's more worrying is man King can't throw deep and the offense is looking repetitive a bit. Not my expertise but that's how it looked. We should win every game here on out besides maybe UNC (or a trip up some where). And lose in a blowout to Clemson again
The good thing is he can work on explosiveness and speed. U can’t really work on instincts so let’s hope he can get faster for those Speed boners

Advertisement
I saw a play where he chased a guy down sideline to sideline i was impressed but and that's a big but.....like always it was a slow pitt player. We should pop off the screen against slow teams like Pitt.....we looked like hmmmm how can I describe it......that's not UM if u get what I mean we looked I dunno like a big ten team.

And yes I will lead that brigade with Flagg and can guarantee he will not be a legendary UM backer. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but when we recruit a position I expect savagery always from any position. And I always want speed and explosiveness regardless of position....except OL and kicker obviously.

Also after one game I will still say he's not UM caliber (again I'm caliber of my time growing up not TNM) cause I think people have forgotten what we used to see.
Lol man let that ****t go the old Miami is over with .. you living in the past Vilma Morgan DJ etc ain’t walking thru that door ..until we win consistently or players wanna come here to make a name for themselves instead of chasing that SEC bag we gotta work with what we have

Mcloud using all his speed and athleticism to run the wrong **** way. F that, give me the slower LBer who will be there to make the play.

I want a first rounder at every level that's available in sfla and OOS just have to bag them up. We can do it we just need the staff that can so it and the money
No we can't... That's crazy. You got to stop living in the past man. Miami will never be as dominant as it was in the early 2000s and 80s. The SEC, Ohio State and Clemson will always come to South Florida and talk around half the talent

Advertisement
Back