Thorpe Award goes to...

Tyler

Freshman
o759ci.jpg

Advertisement
When Reed and Taylor don't get that award. You know them some shady *** clowns running it.

Advertisement
I should have accepted long ago that statistics are only of slight importance in these selections. So many glaring issues with College Football. I feel bad for these players across the country.

Mature beyond the optics and politics of the recruiting process only to be shown that it's just as prevalent at year-end honors.

Look at the pure production disparity. Jim Thorpe himself could strap up for the U and they’d still find someone else to give the award to.

It is what it is.

Minkah gets it , but I thought Josh Jack was who got snubbed.
There very well may have been a player with even better statistics than Johnson. But the guy can't even get recognized in the ACC, much less the entire NCAA. Quite sad. Truth be told, from where he was last year, to where he finished this year, assuming the leadership role, rallying guys behind him, and exceeding all expectations, I think this guy deserves something over any other candidate for his body of work alone

Advertisement
JJ4 was definitely a stud this year!! The ACC committee also f***** over him, they gave him 2nd team honors and he probably was the best safety in the country.. BUT this is why awards these days don't mean ****, because the ppl giving them all are azzhoes!!

Minkah Fitzpatrick (12 games - schedule rank #56):

Solo Tackles: 33
Ast Tackles: 19
Total Tackles: 52
Tackles for Loss: 6
Sacks: 1.5

Interceptions: 1
Fumbles Forced: 0
Fumbles Recovered: 1
Passes Deflected: 6
Yards: 0
Touchdowns: 0
___

JaQuan Johnson (12 Games - schedule rank #25):

Solo Tackles: 49
Ast Tackles: 36
Total Tackles: 85

Tackles for Loss: 3
Sacks: 1.0
Interceptions: 4
Fumbles Forced: 2
Fumbles Recovered: 2

Passes Deflected: 4
Yards: 57
Touchdowns: 1

___

One won the Bednarik and Thorpe Awards, the other was Second Team All-ACC.

Makes sense...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Minkah Fitzpatrick is better than Jaquan Johnson. I said it.

Minkah Fitzpatrick is a better NFL prospect than Jaquan Johnson. That doesn't make him more deserving of the Thorpe award.

The Thorpe award goes to the top defensive back; "top" of course is subjective and I'm unsure of the criteria used to judge but to me its the best player at the position. That's Fitzpatrick IMO. Not a knock against JJ, he played his *** off and won us a bunch of games. That is an award in and of itself.

Fitzpatrick was hampered by injuries this season and did not have a great year.

The award selection process is a joke, as usual.

When Ed Reed didn't win it the thing forever lost whatever credibility it might have had. I've pretty much ignored it ever since.

Roy Williams over Ed Reed
Some other idiot from Oklahoma over Sean Taylor

This award sucks

Advertisement
Back