Thorpe Award goes to...

Advertisement
He undeservingly won the award the same way his team underservingly got into the playoffs......by a faulty system made up of like minded fools.

The delusion on this board is insane.

Jaquan is a nice player. Nothing more.

#s don't lie homie. This award is not about who is the better NFL prospect but rather who is the best db in college. JJ had better #s

He had more tackles and interceptions.

He's a S while Fitzpatrick is a CB so the tackles should be expected.

The INTs are a result of teams staying away from Fitzpatrick.

Numbers aren't always the best barometer, anyway. If you surveyed 20 college coaches, all 20 would say Fitzpatrick had a better season.

Jaquan is a very good player but he is nowhere close to being an elite talent. I think many on here will be shocked where he's drafted.

Advertisement
Fitzpatrick is the better prospect, he plays S and CB btw, for sure so I can understand giving him the award over Jaquan, but Josh Jackson deserved it more as someone mentioned. Jackson just started playing CB and is lock-down.

Before reading the OP I thought it was going to be Derwin James LOL.

Let’s not even get started on the TE award going to losers over UM NFL Legends. You don’t come to Miami to win college accolades. You come to Miami to win an NC and a successful NFL career.

Let’s not even get started on the TE award going to losers over UM NFL Legends. You don’t come to Miami to win college accolades. You come to Miami to win an NC and a successful NFL career.

Walford not winning the Mackey his senior year was an abomination.

Advertisement

#s don't lie homie. This award is not about who is the better NFL prospect but rather who is the best db in college. JJ had better #s

He had more tackles and interceptions.

He's a S while Fitzpatrick is a CB so the tackles should be expected.

The INTs are a result of teams staying away from Fitzpatrick.

Numbers aren't always the best barometer, anyway. If you surveyed 20 college coaches, all 20 would say Fitzpatrick had a better season.

Jaquan is a very good player but he is nowhere close to being an elite talent. I think many on here will be shocked where he's drafted.

Dude literally just said it's not about who's the better NFL prospect.

Minkah Fitzpatrick is better than Jaquan Johnson. I said it.

Minkah Fitzpatrick is a better NFL prospect than Jaquan Johnson. That doesn't make him more deserving of the Thorpe award.

The Thorpe award goes to the top defensive back; "top" of course is subjective and I'm unsure of the criteria used to judge but to me its the best player at the position. That's Fitzpatrick IMO. Not a knock against JJ, he played his *** off and won us a bunch of games. That is an award in and of itself.

Sure, everything is subjective... but in the myriad objective metrics available and quantifiable, JJ takes it hands down. You can't ignore the objective metrics and defer solely, or even primarily, to the subjective. And there's an earnest conversation to be had about the different positions they play and how that might affect the numbers.

But this isn't a case of subjective preferences winning the day - this is a classic case of confirmation bias that allows these knuckleheads to ignore anyone not on a pre-season watch list.

C’mon man, nobody’s saying Jaquan the best pro prospect, but production HAS to matter, and our boy had himself an elite season. Put his numbers up against the award winner and it’s a joke. This isn’t delusion. There’s plenty of places to find that, but this thread isn’t one.

Advertisement

C’mon man, nobody’s saying Jaquan the best pro prospect, but production HAS to matter, and our boy had himself an elite season. Put his numbers up against the award winner and it’s a joke. This isn’t delusion. There’s plenty of places to find that, but this thread isn’t one.

He had a very good season, not an elite one.

Numbers don't always tell the full story.

He had a very good season, not an elite one.

Numbers don't always tell the full story.

I mean, his numbers and performance were right up there with anyone in the country THIS SEASON. We can argue about what we mean by elite, but to me that’s an elite season. I’m not going to try to compare the guy to Ed Reed and Roy Williams’ best season.

And while you’re at it, you’re **** right that numbers don’t always tell the full story, but the point is they pick numbers when they want to go with a clearly inferior player ala Roy Williams, then tell us numbers don’t matter when our boy’s the one compiling stats. It’s not delusion that’s got people in this thread standing up for Jaquan.

I agree we gotta keep each other realistic and reasonable, but there’s at least enough of a case here that we don’t need to be telling each other not to be ****ed that our guy didn’t get a major award.

Minkah Fitzpatrick is better than Jaquan Johnson. I said it.

Minkah Fitzpatrick is a better NFL prospect than Jaquan Johnson. That doesn't make him more deserving of the Thorpe award.

He's also got the advantage of the Alabama name. You know the media is enamored of Alabama.

Back in '87 Bennie Blades shared the award with Ricky Dixon of Oklahoma. I don't know the justice of having Bennie share it with Dixon. I remember Mike Irvin toasting Dixon in the NC game in the OB. Dixon complained he was the victim of a push-off on Mike's TD. If we complained for every hold we've been the victim of this year there would be no time left over to play the game.

I don't recall what kind of NFL career Dixon had...I don't think it compared to Bennie's. Dixon has ended up very sick, maybe it's ALS, I don't remember. Sad for him (has nothing to do with the award, though.)

Advertisement
Matador is right, many in the media automatically assume that because a guy plays for Ala. that he must be better. As many have mentioned all those awards are ridiculous at this point. The committees that choose them are just groups of people that are affiliated with each organization, there's no requirement to have any real knowledge of what they're voting on.
It's like the AP poll.

Last edited:

Walford not winning the Mackey his senior year was an abomination.

Njoku not even being on the preseason watchlist was just as bad.

Advertisement
Back