Thomas USC Visit

ice harris isn't steering anyone anywhere. kids go where they want to go. remember after 08 when we thought we were going to land any and every northwestern prospect we wanted?

So what does not landing NW kids after 08 have to do with A) Ice Harris B) BTW kids and C) Matthew Thomas???

Don't feed the troll

i'm not trolling. my point is that people thought that miami had a pipeline to NW, just like people think that having ice harris at a school means we have a pipeline there, too. which isn't to say that thomas (or kirkland) won't end up at miami, just that i don't think ice harris will have much to do with it.

if ice harris is steering a kid to a college instead of helping that kid go where he wants, he's a pretty terrible coach and person. i don't get a sense that he's either.

Advertisement
Some of you guys are acting like recruiting newbies. If the kid has been to Miami 5 or 6 times, why the **** take an official to Miami. Let me go to USC, get to know the City, eat well, treated like a king for a weekend on their dime. If I was this kid I would do the same exact thing. Chill out Newbies!!!!

I don't know if any of you guys have ever been around the USC campus but the area is not nice.
Westside is real nice and that's where UCLA is.
When people think of Los Angeles they think of Westside which is Beverly Hills, Century City, Westwood and Santa Monica.
Takes some serious money to live out there.
USC is in South Central LA. Now contrary to popular belief South Central is not Overtown, Grand Avenue or Goulds.
Not even close.
I've been down to South Central many a time looking at fix n flip properties and it may not be Westside LA but it sure as ****
isn't Overtown. All in all the USC area is not someplace people dream of moving to.
Academic wise, USC is a rich kid's school similar in reputation to Miami. The top Academic schools in California are Stanford and the UC schools like Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD etc.

I can't imagine any kid who lives in a hood deciding his first choice in schools would be one right in the hood. Again, the USC area is not the palm tree lined streets of Rodeo or Bel Air. Nor is it the coastline of Santa Monica and Malibu.
To get to the nice area of Los Angeles you have to take the 10 through crap traffic so it could take you 20 minutes to over an hour depending on an accident, a traffic stop or just 5 million cars on the road all nut to butt going 5 miles an hour.

Also the Colosseum is not exactly a state of the art facility. It's kind of a stone Orange Bowl in it's last days.

Players commit to USC because of 2 reasons: the current success of the program, or they are from Cali and have had USC pounded into their senses for 18 years.
Last time I checked USC is in turmoil after a crappy season and Matthew Thomas is not a kid raised with Troy in his heart.

So let him come down here, and wonder why the **** anyone would want to live in the area, be the meat in a couple of white bread sandwiches, drive an hour west of the campus to get to the good area of LA and wonder why he didn't take a visit to Westwood and UCLA, then come back to Miami and check out The U in Coral Gables.

IMO he's a Cane. FSU is in disarray. USC has no chance, At Miami his family can see him play every home game, the team is seriously on the rise and he can be a big part of our future dominance or sit around Tally on that crappy campus and wonder why the **** he didn't listen to Duke, Deon, Tracey, Artie, Jamal and Denver tell him how good it felt laying the wood and 50 points on the FSU defense twice a year.

ice harris isn't steering anyone anywhere. kids go where they want to go. remember after 08 when we thought we were going to land any and every northwestern prospect we wanted?

So what does not landing NW kids after 08 have to do with A) Ice Harris B) BTW kids and C) Matthew Thomas???

Don't feed the troll

i'm not trolling. my point is that people thought that miami had a pipeline to NW, just like people think that having ice harris at a school means we have a pipeline there, too. which isn't to say that thomas (or kirkland) won't end up at miami, just that i don't think ice harris will have much to do with it.

if ice harris is steering a kid to a college instead of helping that kid go where he wants, he's a pretty terrible coach and person. i don't get a sense that he's either.

No one said he was steering him, the comment said that Harris would try to keep Thomas from leading on Miami if we didn't have a good shot at landing him.

Advertisement
Some of you guys are acting like recruiting newbies. If the kid has been to Miami 5 or 6 times, why the **** take an official to Miami. Let me go to USC, get to know the City, eat well, treated like a king for a weekend on their dime. If I was this kid I would do the same exact thing. Chill out Newbies!!!!

There is a significant difference between an official and unofficial visit. I'd recommend visiting the Donna Shalala thread for an example. You dont meet the AD and University President on unofficial visits. You dont get the whole VIP walk thru, etc...

To give other skools that you are genuinely considering an opportunity to properly sell you on their program and not give UM that same opporturity is to put UM at a competitive disadvantage, without regard to how many times you've dropped by a practice and had lunch on campus.

I don't know if any of you guys have ever been around the USC campus but the area is not nice.
When people think of Los Angeles they think of Westside which is Beverly Hills, Century City, Westwood and Santa Monica.
USC is in South Central LA. Now contrary to popular belief South Central is not Overtown, Grand Avenue or Goulds.
Not even close.
I've been down to South Central many a time looking at fix n flip properties and it may not be Westside LA but it sure as ****
isn't Overtown. All in all the USC area is not someplace people dream of moving to.
Academic wise, USC is a rich kid's school similar in reputation to Miami. The top Academic schools in California are Stanford and the UC schools like Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD etc.

I can't imagine any kid who lives in a hood deciding his first choice in schools would be one right in the hood. Again, the USC area is not the palm tree lined streets of Rodeo or Bel Air. Nor is it the coastline of Santa Monica and Malibu.
To get to the nice area of Los Angeles you have to take the 10 through crap traffic so it could take you 20 minutes to over an hour depending on an accident, a traffic stop or just 5 million cars on the road all nut to butt going 5 miles an hour.

Also the Colosseum is not exactly a state of the art facility. It's kind of a stone Orange Bowl in it's last days.

Players commit to USC because of 2 reasons: the current success of the program, or they are from Cali and have had USC pounded into their senses for 18 years.
Last time I checked USC is in turmoil after a crappy season and Matthew Thomas is not a kid raised with Troy in his heart.

So let him come down here, and wonder why the **** anyone would want to live in the area, be the meat in a couple of white bread sandwiches, drive an hour west of the campus to get to the good area of LA and wonder why he didn't take a visit to Westwood and UCLA, then come back to Miami and check out The U in Coral Gables.

IMO he's a Cane. FSU is in disarray. USC has no chance, At Miami his family can see him play every home game, the team is seriously on the rise and he can be a big part of our future dominance or sit around Tally on that crappy campus and wonder why the **** he didn't listen to Duke, Deon, Tracey, Artie, Jamal and Denver tell him how good it felt laying the wood and 50 points on the FSU defense twice a year.

great great post. nice buddy. really nice

There is a significant difference between an official and unofficial visit. I'd recommend visiting the Donna Shalala thread for an example. You dont meet the AD and University President on unofficial visits. You dont get the whole VIP walk thru, etc...

To give other skools that you are genuinely considering an opportunity to properly sell you on their program and not give UM that same opporturity is to put UM at a competitive disadvantage, without regard to how many times you've dropped by a practice and had lunch on campus.

spot on SF. Newbies are the ones who assume an official is the same as an unofficial

Advertisement

Since you're so experienced in recruiting, please educate us newbies on how many recruits have committed to us after declining to take an official visit.

Not even close.

BAM!

Advertisement

spot on SF. Newbies are the ones who assume an official is the same as an unofficial

I don't think this is entirely accurate. I think you can still receive tours, meet coaches and administration etc on an unofficial visit. I think the main difference is the school can't provide meals, lodging, or anything with a financial value. Agreed that an official visit is much more productive, but I think that has more to do with a controlled itinerary and schedule.

Some people here have mentioned he may already know where he wants to go. I think this very likely. Not to say he can't change his mind, but remember most kids committ before ever taking any official visits.

Seriously. If I was a highly touted recruit, and I could go to UM ANY time I wanted? **** ya I'd be taking 5 OV's elsewhere for free. U can't beat 5 free vacations...

Advertisement
Not even close.

I took the same trip in 1984 with the option of The U or University of Spoiled Children. USC campus is nice but step foot it and it gets scary quick. 1 hr there and I knew Coral Gables would be my address for the next 4 yrs. 6 should see that quickly. Let the kid enjoy trip .

He is taking an official. Stop saying he isn't. Its just not this weekend.

Link/quote?

Pulled from one of the threads on the 1st page of this recruiting board...

http://canesinsight.com/showthread....Matt-Thomas-into-sticking-with-his-plan/page2

"But then USC coach Tee Martin visited with Thomas at Booker T. yesterday and the star recruit decided he would head to California this weekend after all.

"He had it that way in the first place, so he went back to his original set-up," Booker T. Washington coach Tim Harris said. "You know how kids are. They want to make everyone happy but they have to stick to the plan and let it run, stuff like that. We're just trying to get them to get a plan and stick to it."

Harris says Thomas doesn't have a set visit date for UM right now, but that it will likely be a mid-week visit since Thomas does not want to take any visits the weekend before Signing Day in order to figure out which college he'll attend. Harris said most likely the UM visit will be for the Duke basketball game next Wednesday but that Thomas is "trying to set it up now."
Asked if Miami coaches were upset when they learned Thomas wouldn't be visiting this weekend, Harris said, "I wouldn't say upset, but they thought it was happening and stuff like that. But they knew somebody else was moved already, and when you still have an open window you still can move back. That can happen in the process too, especially with Miami not being in a situation where you have to buy a plane ticket."

Is this a bad sign for UM with Thomas?

"No, I don't think it's a bad thing for Miami with him," Harris said. "I just think he had the schedule originally set that way. Kids don't want to say no. He stuck to what the plan was because it gets too confusing at that point (to reschedule the USC visit). He went off the schedule and now he'll keep the schedule he had originally.

"He feels good about Miami, but he has to keep everything professional as a young man. We're trying to guide him through that process, educate him and his parents about it as much as possible."

Stop being retards mane

Advertisement
Back