Thomas Davis Commits!!!!

Advertisement
You've got to realize that Ryan Rodriguez wasn't being recruited by any real Power5 schools before Garin Justice showed up and saw him at that workout. That isn't to say he wouldn't have been (he absolutely would have) but he wasn't even a heavy camp kid prior to the spring. He would have become a 4-star eventually, especially after everyone saw the tape and those first few offers came in (he was being recruited by LSU almost immediately after Miami offered).

Now, he would have been, but you've got to remember, the offseason process has been fvcked due to COVID. So, I understand why he's ranked lower, but he would be much higher in any normal off-season.

Brashard Smith and Thomas Davis are just a bit undersized. Those guys would be 4-stars after a good senior season with Miami offers. Just a by product of the process these websites have when it comes to size at this point in the process.

They are 4-stars in my heart.
I like Troutman as well.

1595871598045.png

He's got a bit of Elvis Dumervil in him. Going to be a tough eval (I've only watched this highlight, so I'm not judging yet).

There was a long-arm in there, quick stack-and-shed, heavy hands, pursuit, inside dip moves. Add with it a superior get-off. Pretty advanced repertoire for a HS kid.

Downsides are the severe lack of length and a frame that is fairly maxed out. You just don't know what the growth potential is. It's like Butch Davis said, where you're projecting what they could be, not what they are. He's playing great competition, has shown requisite toughness, and put up stats.

I'd take him, but he doesn't fit the prototype of what we normally take at the position and he's shown some level of wishy-washy in him.

Will be fascinating to see what the coaches decide to do in the end.

Thanks for the thoughts, Lance. He's an interesting dude to take, for sure. Normally, you'd like to go after the 6-4, 220 Chantz Williams type of frames. As for Davis, do we know what his speed is? I am ok with a 6-0/6-1 DE IF he is very strong, has great bend and an unreal first step and explosiveness. Jerome McDougle was the last guy around here that fit that profile - hoping Davis can be that guy. FSU has made a living by fielding those undersized 6-1, 260 pound DEs that were absolute beasts coming off the edge. Hoping Davis can be that guy.

For whatever reason, our staff has liked him for a long time and it also helps that his team has a big time QB recruit in next year's cycle.

Advertisement
Thanks for the thoughts, Lance. He's an interesting dude to take, for sure. Normally, you'd like to go after the 6-4, 220 Chantz Williams type of frames. As for Davis, do we know what his speed is? I am ok with a 6-0/6-1 DE IF he is very strong, has great bend and an unreal first step and explosiveness. Jerome McDougle was the last guy around here that fit that profile - hoping Davis can be that guy. FSU has made a living by fielding those undersized 6-1, 260 pound DEs that were absolute beasts coming off the edge. Hoping Davis can be that guy.

For whatever reason, our staff has liked him for a long time and it also helps that his team has a big time QB recruit in next year's cycle.

Davis’ high school coach, Randy McPherson (who retired after last season), weighed in to CaneSport that “Here’s the deal, the God’s honest truth - he’s 4.5 every single time, it doesn’t matter who has the stopwatch. He’s 11.0 in the 100 meter. … That explosive quickness. You can’t block him.” Davis might be ranked as a three star, but he has five-star upside. He had 17 sacks last season. “A 3-star? I’m telling you this - I wouldn’t trade anybody with any number of stars for Thomas Davis,” McPherson said. “He would be one of my 11 guys on defense without a doubt, no way I’d trade it out.

Advertisement
Agree 100%.

If there's 1 position group to overload it's the DL - and specifically the interior guys.

Would like to see Sapp in the class.

Can never have enough interior DL IMO, especially one of his caliber. He brings more versatility to our front, hurts UF, and gets us back into STA. I pray he wants in and we find a way because after LT and Marshall, he is next for me personally.

Davis said he’s going to be playing ILB for Lowndes this season. I hope he still lined up and rushes the QB this year. He was a beast with 17 sacks as a
JR

Advertisement
Advertisement
You can't teach those first 3 steps of his. I worry about his length, too. But that kid will be in the backfield a lot because the big uglies won't be able to get a hand on him due to his burst.

I still remember when we did helmet to helmet drills among the linemen in high school, and this one kid was able to get on his feet and get by the other guys before they were even off the ground. Coaches then lined him up helmet to helmet with our running backs, and he got up and tackled them all, 3 snaps in a row. He was the only kid to go on to play college ball from my team (small rural school).

Davis is that kid. He may not have length, weight or tarantula arms to gain leverage. He just has to blow by you to win. And he will.

I can't help but wonder if he plays a hybrid role of downhill ILB or rush end based on the opponent and game situation.

Advertisement
Back