This whole Homer false narrative

Advertisement
Because people need a reason to justify that an injured, unproductive Walton was playing over a healthy, productive Homer.

I hate that Walton got hurt. It's a terrible, and unfair way for him to go out. Despite my criticisms of Walton, he always gave 100% and didn't deserve this.

But there has been a narrative since Spring practice to find ways to create a gap between Walton & Homer as a means of making Walton look better. The pass blocking argument is really a reach.

Go watch that fsu game and watch how walton picked up blitzes.

I'm not saying Walton wasn't great in pass protection. But there isn't a glaring difference in Walton's pass protection vs. Homer.

But there was a glaring difference in Walton's running vs. Homer.

So the justification for Walton's poor rushing performance and Richt's poor decision to keep playing him over Homer becomes to overstate Walton's value in pass protection.

Fück is you talking about? Walton was injured thats why he couldnt run. If homer was better than walton then richt would have started him. Homer is a solid back but dont act like he is elite all of a sudden. He wasn't even elite in high school.

Right - Walton was injured, and therefore has been ineffective the last 2 games.

Walton had 29-76 yds the last 2 games. Homer was 6-72 yds.

I'm not calling Homer elite - but I am saying he's been more effective than Walton the last 2 games, and the decision by Richt to keep riding Walton vs. giving Homer more carries was a poor decision.

And the justification for that poor decision is made by inflating Walton's pass blocking.
Walton had 130yds from scrimmage vs Duke.

He was only ineffective vs FSU.

[video=youtube_share;EjfOTymu4os]https://youtu.be/EjfOTymu4os[/video]

Go to @ 3:12, the fans didn't make it up, it came directly from the Coaches mouth back in the Spring.

Does that mean it hasn't improved sense then, no, not at all, in fact it has drastically.

But there are several interviews dating back months ago in which both Coach Brown & Richt have noted that Homer needed to improve his pass blocking.

I still believe he'll be just fine at it, nothing to worry about. I'm only dispelling the idea that the fans made it up.

But do you think there's been a noticeable difference in Walton's pass blocking vs Homers this season?

If so, why hasn't it been mentioned until now?

Largely because the coaches have trusted Walton more as a pass blocker and made sure to have him in to block on passing downs. This isn't that complicated, and both things can absolutely be true. Walton is a FANTASTIC pass blocker in the backfield who has demonstrated a skill and willingness in that area which has earned an extremely high level of trust from the coaching staff. Homer is clearly a capable and willing athlete/football player all over the field. He is now our best option and the coaches are likely quite confident that the work he has put in and the blocking skills they have been working with him on for almost two years are paying off and he will be a VERY capable starting RB for us.

But, bottom line, knowing we needed to throw the ball to be able to score, and with the game AT trailerhassee AND a 7 year losing streak on the line, they TRUSTED Walton, even hobbled, more to be in there to protect Malik without making a catastrophic mistake more than they did Homer.

This really isn't that complicated. There's no need for fan agendas or for anyone to feel that saying the truth is a knock on Homer. Unless you feel some underdeveloped psychological need to blame the coaches for Walton's injury in order to escape the simple fact that **** happens in life that is beyond prediction and control, there's no need to be emotional about this.

My heart hurts for Malk Walton and his family. For selfish reasons, it hurts that I'll no longer probably get to root for him in the Orange and Green, but that dude is forever Hurricane and I can't wait to follow his NFL career. As for where that leaves us, Travis Homer is an effing STUD just waiting to get discovered by America, and I can't wait to watch him take the reigns. Gray, Dallas, Burns need to step up and help kid out.

Ain't no stopping this party, like D says, destiny is calling.

LET'S GO MOTHERF()CKING CANES!!!!!

I'm not saying Walton wasn't great in pass protection. But there isn't a glaring difference in Walton's pass protection vs. Homer.

So the justification for Walton's poor rushing performance and Richt's poor decision to keep playing him over Homer becomes to overstate Walton's value in pass protection.

Fück is you talking about? Walton was injured thats why he couldnt run. If homer was better than walton then richt would have started him. Homer is a solid back but dont act like he is elite all of a sudden. He wasn't even elite in high school.

Right - Walton was injured, and therefore has been ineffective the last 2 games.

I'm not calling Homer elite - but I am saying he's been more effective than Walton the last 2 games, and the decision by Richt to keep riding Walton vs. giving Homer more carries was a poor decision.

And the justification for that poor decision is made by inflating Walton's pass blocking.

Walton was 17-51 yds, 3.0 ypc vs. Duke. He was ineffective running the ball. I understand that Walton's injury played into that.

But are you agreeing with Richt's decision to break the carries 29 for Walton, 6 for Homer over the last 2 games?

I don't. I think most people don't, and are looking for a reason why, and bringing down Homer's pass blocking is the justification they're using.

Homer had carries of 10 & 14 yds on that last drive. Walton hasn't had a carry of 10 or more yards vs. FSU ever. I don't think we win if Homer isn't in there at the end.

Walton was 17-51 yds, 3.0 ypc vs. Duke. He was ineffective running the ball. I understand that Walton's injury played into that.

But are you agreeing with Richt's decision to break the carries 29 for Walton, 6 for Homer over the last 2 games?

I don't. I think most people don't, and are looking for a reason why, and bringing down Homer's pass blocking is the justification they're using.

Homer had carries of 10 & 14 yds on that last drive. Walton hasn't had a carry of 10 or more yards vs. FSU ever. I don't think we win if Homer isn't in there at the end.

My brother... Pointing out that Mark Walton is an ELITE pass blocker who has earned the coaches complete trust is not the same thing as "bringing down Homer's pass blocking". It's just not.

A lot of pitchforks and torches out for the coaching staff that just liberated us from the 7 year monkey on our back... ****, I hate to see y'all when you're mad.... Can't wait till the day we win a natty again and come in here and errybody ing about coaches played the wrong guy or whatever. **** man, it's ok to smile. We won, take a f()ckin sip o this **** and a pull off this here pipe and enjoy, my man!!!

Advertisement
https://www.canesinsight.com/thread...ctice-10-a/118805?highlight=Coach+Brown+Homer

For anybody wondering where the "narrative" came from, read this ^

Great source EL...Homer does look improved in pass protection based on limited snaps this season. He is strong at the point of attack against dudes that outweigh him, but I see where he needs to learn to take the legs out of the defender at times. Walton learned to do this well and Homer will as well. Homer hit the DE/LB up high against FSU and stopped their momentum, but a leg spear to get the defender on the ground is more effective in ensuring the defender doesn't get their hands up when they realize they can't get to the QB. Not too worried bout it since he will get better with reps and Rosier thankfully is not a statue in the pocket.

Im not disputing the claim the coaches have more faith in Walton's pass protection ability than Homer's. I can concede that proposition and still maintain it was ineffective having him in there because if the defense knows you are not a 1) significant running threat or 2) a receiving threat, than you are just a blocker - little more than a fullback.

The point of a three down back - which I believe Walton is - is that the defense doesn't know if you are going to run, go out for a pass OR stay in to block as necessary.

With Walton injured and not a credible offensive threat, you limit any concern FSU has about him running or coming out of the backfield. Those backers know they can drop in coverage or if they want, pin their ears back and take their chances against a hobbled running back.

If the issue is pass protection, there are other ways to gameplan for that than keeping a clearly and noticeably injured Walton in.

I may be over-selling what FSU knew about Walton's injury but I suspect any doubt was likely removed after the first quarter.

Advertisement
Well, Homer will have to pick up blitzing LBs. If he struggles, CMR will need to adjust. I would rather see Homer as an outlet or primary receiver out of the backfield.

I like Homer a lot, we will be just fine with him as RB1. But if he goes down we’re in trouble.

Advertisement
Excited to see what this kids got running the ball as the lead back. Seems like he will break a couple big TD runs. Curious to see his vision and cuts. Homer has shown flashes and love his hustle. I think he will do fine replacing walton now hes no Mark but lets not sell the kid short he is a good back

He looked fine in pass protection against FSU, but as Pentagon said, it is an experience thing and Walton was terrific.

There is another consistant false narrative on these boards - that mentioning an area of concern or an attribute of an injured/former player means that you are knocking the current guy, and that simply isn't the case. Saying losing Walton, the best RB in the ACC, is not banging on Homer at all. It is saying we would rather the 1-2 punch.

You said it. Walton is a certified beast. He’s got all the skills and is a freak that doesn’t come around often. I’m just talking about hammering a guy and making sh&t up for no reason. This wasn’t about Walton. Sucks *** to lose him.

Agreed.

Honestly I am much more concerned about who replaces Homer on special teams. He has been the best Special Teams defender since Matt Bosher.

Homer probably will and should stay on ST

Do we have any idea how Homer is catching balls out of the back field? Will he be our third down back? If not, who will be?

Richt sat Walton for basically all the scrimmages, so someone had to be getting the 3rd down reps. Silver lining, I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Because people need a reason to justify that an injured, unproductive Walton was playing over a healthy, productive Homer.

I hate that Walton got hurt. It's a terrible, and unfair way for him to go out. Despite my criticisms of Walton, he always gave 100% and didn't deserve this.

But there has been a narrative since Spring practice to find ways to create a gap between Walton & Homer as a means of making Walton look better. The pass blocking argument is really a reach.

In all fairness Homer did get his yards when FSU was trying to eliminate the long pass play, not when they were in a normal defense.

I don't know anything about this particular argument, but are people allowed to have opinions anymore? Every thread is full of people telling other people that they aren't real fans or they are pushing some hidden agenda. Maybe people just have different opinions sometimes and it doesn't have to involve a conspiracy or agenda.

I'm not terribly worried about a drop off with Homer, but if others are I think that's fair. It's not crazy to be worried about what happens from here on out. Tell the truth, in August did any of you think in we'd be taking the loss of Walton this well in October? I sure as **** didn't, but here we are and I'm not crapping myself over it. Maybe some people are, doesn't mean they're part of some shadowy cabal.

What is the agenda with people saying Homer can't pass block? The season is over because he can't pass block? First of all, even if it was a weak link of his wouldn't you rather have a guy who can actually run the ball instead of a glorified pass blocker who plods into his blockers? Couple things on noticed on him. He runs ****ed. His legs are explosive. Without him running like a beast on that last drive he doesn't break those tackles and we don't get in position. That's all will. Second, his pass blocking was fine. FSU was attacking the ends and I noticed Walton struggling at times to catch up to the weakside as well. Third, Homer isn't afraid to get dirty. Go back and watch him on special teams. He is like a missile coming down field. Where people come up with these ideas is beyond me.

Everyone got better on Saturday (including Richt) and will continue to get better with reps throughout the season. Just gotta keep finding a way to win.

Last season Richt kept 8 guys back to create time for Brad to throw, and we'll do just fine with our guys and Homer blocking for Malik.

Advertisement
Back