This Team's a Big Disappointment

Advertisement
Unless we go on a huge run, the NIT is looking more and more likely. This would go down as the most disappointing season in L’s tenure, and it’s not really close.
I know Coach L will get a pass, but not even making the tourney if that happens this year is extremely disappointing. Coach L deserves some responsibility no matter what the excuses are. This year has definitely not gone anywhere close to what we had hoped or expected. Certainly not making the tourney is way below expectations. I agree with you 100%.

I also think that Nigel pack and Omier did very well under their time playing with NIL so miami needs to make more investments with NIL moving forward with their basketball program. High school recruiting is important too but certainly we got our money's worth with omier and pack. I just wish pack played a little better defense sometimes.

I know Coach L will get a pass, but not even making the tourney if that happens this year is extremely disappointing. Coach L deserves some responsibility no matter what the excuses are. This year has definitely not gone anywhere close to what we had hoped or expected. Certainly not making the tourney is way below expectations. I agree with you 100%.
Yeah I agree with this sentiment, Coach L failed to construct a roster that had the necessary chemistry and/or depth. The individual talent on this roster is certainly the best of any (likely) non NCAAT team under Coach L... maybe you could argue 2014-2015 but I imagine this team will have 2 NBA draft picks (either this year or next) and 2-3 other guys who will be able to play in top overseas leagues. Coach L has built a reputation doing more with less, although this season will be the rare exception.

The issue with looking ahead to next year, is I have no idea what the roster composition will be between transfers in and out, pro decisions etc. Obviously the recruiting class gives some reason for optimism, but if Coach L can't convince a couple guys (namely a PG and a big) to transfer in and/or convince a few guys already on the roster to hold off going pro I would definitely have my worries.

Advertisement
Yeah I agree with this sentiment, Coach L failed to construct a roster that had the necessary chemistry and/or depth. The individual talent on this roster is certainly the best of any (likely) non NCAAT team under Coach L... maybe you could argue 2014-2015 but I imagine this team will have 2 NBA draft picks (either this year or next) and 2-3 other guys who will be able to play in top overseas leagues. Coach L has built a reputation doing more with less, although this season will be the rare exception.

The issue with looking ahead to next year, is I have no idea what the roster composition will be between transfers in and out, pro decisions etc. Obviously the recruiting class gives some reason for optimism, but if Coach L can't convince a couple guys (namely a PG and a big) to transfer in and/or convince a few guys already on the roster to hold off going pro I would definitely have my worries.
Potentially every single player could return next year. Bring in Bethea, Swartz and a portal guy and the talent level would easily be final four again or better. Coach L still has to make that happen though.

Coach L failed to construct a roster that had the necessary chemistry and/or depth.
Although a student of the game that hasn't missed a minute of Canes BB for many years, I'm far from an x's and o's guy (as you and others are.) The quote above seems so spot on seemed worth further comment. Our (somewhat improving) defense can be awesome when active and swarming, but the situation reminds me of hockey players who get winded within minutes and have to rotate out (even defensemen of course.)

With no real depth, and complicated by soreness (or nursing injury) how can these guys have much steam left to drive or cut to the basket and do anything much more than take outside shots (or wait in the corners.) Without a traditional center, there is often no one under (or driving towards) the basket, to pass to. If these shots don't drop (as sometimes they can do as we have mucho talent) we aren't slated for many wins in ACC. And mental exhaustion must be almost as challenging as physical exhaustion.

The most disappointing part to me this season has been watching how the. team has regressed. That's the one thing we've rarely, if ever, see from a Miami team led by Coach L. Matter of fact, it's usually the other way around. His teams usually get better as the season progresses. There's still time for that to happen, but it's gotta happen quickly. We're heading into the final stretch of the season and up until this point it's fair to say that aside from Norchad, no other player has either met or surpassed expectations. Wooga came in with a lot of hype coming into the season but really hasn't done much against P5 teams this year. Bensley hasn't taken that next step in his game. He's still solid defensive but very helter skelter on offense. Good start to the season but has also tailed off. In our 3 worse games of the season (vs. Kentucky, Colorado & Louisville), Pack has been abysmal averaging 5 points per game in those contests. Going into the season much more than that was expected of him. Wasn't sure what to expect from Matt Cleveland, but he's probably been our 2nd best player this season. Hopefully, he can bounce back from his injury. We're going to definitely need him on the floor. Not sure where to start with our bench. Ultimately, could go down as the worse we've ever had here. Like ever. Just terrible, that a team can't get any kind of consistent contribution after player #6. Casey, Watson, and Jakai have been so bad that no one would be surprised if they didn't come back. This trio is a microcosm of how the season has gone for the rest of the team. They started the season getting minutes to now either not playing at all or only seeing the court when someone goes down to injury. Lone bright spot from bench has been freshman Kyshawn George. He's shown flashes and has found a way to move up in the rotation. Hopefully, he'll be able to get over that proverbial freshman wall and help this team towards the latter part of the season. Again, without question our best player this year has been Norchad Omier. No telling where we'd be if he weren't in a Miami uniform. And in taking a peak towards next year, going to be scary if in fact he leaves and we don't have a replacement for him.

The most disappointing part to me this season has been watching how the. team has regressed. That's the one thing we've rarely, if ever, see from a Miami team led by Coach L. Matter of fact, it's usually the other way around. His teams usually get better as the season progresses. There's still time for that to happen, but it's gotta happen quickly. We're heading into the final stretch of the season and up until this point it's fair to say that aside from Norchad, no other player has either met or surpassed expectations. Wooga came in with a lot of hype coming into the season but really hasn't done much against P5 teams this year. Bensley hasn't taken that next step in his game. He's still solid defensive but very helter skelter on offense. Good start to the season but has also tailed off. In our 3 worse games of the season (vs. Kentucky, Colorado & Louisville), Pack has been abysmal averaging 5 points per game in those contests. Going into the season much more than that was expected of him. Wasn't sure what to expect from Matt Cleveland, but he's probably been our 2nd best player this season. Hopefully, he can bounce back from his injury. We're going to definitely need him on the floor. Not sure where to start with our bench. Ultimately, could go down as the worse we've ever had here. Like ever. Just terrible, that a team can't get any kind of consistent contribution after player #6. Casey, Watson, and Jakai have been so bad that no one would be surprised if they didn't come back. This trio is a microcosm of how the season has gone for the rest of the team. They started the season getting minutes to now either not playing at all or only seeing the court when someone goes down to injury. Lone bright spot from bench has been freshman Kyshawn George. He's shown flashes and has found a way to move up in the rotation. Hopefully, he'll be able to get over that proverbial freshman wall and help this team towards the latter part of the season. Again, without question our best player this year has been Norchad Omier. No telling where we'd be if he weren't in a Miami uniform. And in taking a peak towards next year, going to be scary if in fact he leaves and we don't have a replacement for him.
I may be reaching here in regards to the bench, but Djobet has shown me something the last couple of games. His effort and toughness is something this team is severely lacking. What he lacks in athleticism is made up with pure hustle. The way he crashed the boards at NC State was impressive. It makes one wonder why he wasn't playing AT ALL until now.

Nwoko continues to disappoint. He just looks lost out there, and lacks the basic footwork or solid hands to be effective.

Advertisement
I may be reaching here in regards to the bench, but Djobet has shown me something the last couple of games. His effort and toughness is something this team is severely lacking. What he lacks in athleticism is made up with pure hustle. The way he crashed the boards at NC State was impressive. It makes one wonder why he wasn't playing AT ALL until now.

Nwoko continues to disappoint. He just looks lost out there, and lacks the basic footwork or solid hands to be effective.
I like Djobet's energy. Has not been afraid to shoot his jumper either (no small thing when you're not even an option on offense).

How "athletic" or unathletic is he? Seems to run the court well. Haven't had a good enough look at his jumping ability.

I like Djobet's energy. Has not been afraid to shoot his jumper either (no small thing when you're not even an option on offense).

How "athletic" or unathletic is he? Seems to run the court well. Haven't had a good enough look at his jumping ability.
I've noticed on a couple of his drives he doesn't seem to elevate much. Could just be his style. Maybe I was a bit harsh there and the jury is still out on his athleticism given how little we've still seen of him.

He's a true freshman. Was a fringe 4 star recruit that is still adjusting to playing major conference college basketball. Blame the staff for going into the season thinking he was a suitable backup center option because he clearly isn't ready to be that.

Advertisement
I've noticed on a couple of his drives he doesn't seem to elevate much. Could just be his style. Maybe I was a bit harsh there and the jury is still out on his athleticism given how little we've still seen of him.
You may be right. I don't think George may be that athletic either. Great skills though.

In the NBA it's another story. In college, I'll take a kid who can shoot lights out over an exceptional athlete who can run and dunk, but can't shoot, any day of the week.

I'll be the guy with tissues on Saturday, weeping for this lost season.

Sad Homer Simpson GIF

Potentially every single player could return next year. Bring in Bethea, Swartz and a portal guy and the talent level would easily be final four again or better. Coach L still has to make that happen though.

If Cleveland, Omier, and George all return next year (Wooga and Pack are gone I think) then I have pretty high hopes as given the recruits coming in, we would be about one high level transfer away from having second weekend expectations again next year. The problem is we could literally see a mass exodus depending on our NIL coffers/overall vibe around the program. I am hoping Coach L can hype up the vets to try one more season with the incoming young guns but who knows. If Omier leaves we are going to have to go all out to get a high profile transfer C, if he stays I think PG is our bigger need (yeah more big man depth would be nice, but what quality transfer C is going to come in just to sit on the bench).

Advertisement
If Cleveland, Omier, and George all return next year (Wooga and Pack are gone I think) then I have pretty high hopes as given the recruits coming in, we would be about one high level transfer away from having second weekend expectations again next year. The problem is we could literally see a mass exodus depending on our NIL coffers/overall vibe around the program. I am hoping Coach L can hype up the vets to try one more season with the incoming young guns but who knows. If Omier leaves we are going to have to go all out to get a high profile transfer C, if he stays I think PG is our bigger need (yeah more big man depth would be nice, but what quality transfer C is going to come in just to sit on the bench).
Where is wooga going? Overseas? He has no prayer of playing in the nba right now

Where is wooga going? Overseas? He has no prayer of playing in the nba right now

Wooga will workout really well because he can shoot and is super athletic and this will get him drafted late first or early second. I actually think he will be a solid role player in the NBA, provided he can spot up shoot and not actually be asked to handle the ball too much (which is his main weakness). If a guy like Quentin Grimes for the Knicks can get major PT, I don't see why Wooga wouldn't. It would also be better for Wooga to go after this year, because I actually think the more he is asked to do, the more his stock will drop (since he isn't well-equipped to be the focal point for a team) so he isn't someone that would benefit from another year.

The only other player on the roster with NBA potential is George and I think he would absolutely benefit from coming back another year. The issue with him is although he is a freshman he just turned 20 which means he is the age of a typical sophomore, so I am worried he gets rushed into the NBA.

Wooga will workout really well because he can shoot and is super athletic and this will get him drafted late first or early second. I actually think he will be a solid role player in the NBA, provided he can spot up shoot and not actually be asked to handle the ball too much (which is his main weakness). If a guy like Quentin Grimes for the Knicks can get major PT, I don't see why Wooga wouldn't. It would also be better for Wooga to go after this year, because I actually think the more he is asked to do, the more his stock will drop (since he isn't well-equipped to be the focal point for a team) so he isn't someone that would benefit from another year.

The only other player on the roster with NBA potential is George and I think he would absolutely benefit from coming back another year. The issue with him is although he is a freshman he just turned 20 which means he is the age of a typical sophomore, so I am worried he gets rushed into the NBA.
Ball handling is more than a weakness with Wooga, it’s non-existent

I don't see Pack leaving. Wooga could get a better offer from another school or simply want a fresh start after what could turn out to be a disappointing campaign for this years draft. He will be a sr next year.

I can definitely see Jakai, Casey and/or Watson jumping ship. Bethea is very likely to take minutes from them.

Advertisement
Back