This Team's a Big Disappointment

If you go back and watch Djobet’s high school highlights, he is exactly what we started to see on Saturday. A less athletic guy that seems to have a knack for getting to the rim and putting the ball in the basket. It is not always pretty but he’s a grinder. I like him a lot. Didn’t expect him to see the floor this year though.

Advertisement
If you go back and watch Djobet’s high school highlights, he is exactly what we started to see on Saturday. A less athletic guy that seems to have a knack for getting to the rim and putting the ball in the basket. It is not always pretty but he’s a grinder. I like him a lot. Didn’t expect him to see the floor this year though.

There's a bit of Ant Lawrence to his game

I don’t think anyone did… but he was +13 in 18 minutes last game… pretty encouraging!

If it wasn’t for 2 buzzer games we would be 7-2 and in second place, right where we were last year. Casey and Watson look like they have regressed, hence our lack of depth off the bench.
I hear ya but we are what our record says we are. We've lost some close games but won some as well. Just seems like it's been a constant struggle all season with this team. Whether it's injuries, lack of focus, or just plain bad luck, team must do a better job of playing basketball. Effort and focus haven't always been there. Case in point, was the home loss to a terrible Louisville (6-14) team. To think that's been Louisville's only win since December 21 and only road win of the season is disheartening. Bottom line is this team has got to play better. Still plenty of games and opportunity to turn this thing around. GO CANES!!!

Advertisement
In my eyes it's not that he can't get bigs. It's what bigs would want to come here and play a complimentary role. A big isn't simply a big because of his height. It's his style of play that defines him. Coach L simply prioritizes guards and wing play. Anyone acting like that's wrong to say just would simply rather not acknowledge truth. Out of all of those people you mentioned who has been a big? **** near all of them spent more time on the wing then they did in the paint. Again I understand it's a new day with how basketball is being played. But at what point is it not obvious we need some form of length to compete with size. Because if all you do is rely on jump shooters where will you be. Where we are. Simple. People wanna get in their feelings and that's fine. But it still doesn't Change this team being flawed.

You know me, I'll never be mad at you or anyone speaking the truth. I agree with you that our bigs are capable of playing out on the wings. Then again, I was at the Final Four and watched one of UConn's big men hit a few threes to start off the first half. So...I don't know...

But I hear what you are saying. I don't think we play more than one big guy at a time, and the strength/length (pause?) is not emphasized. I was talking with some alums about a month ago, I said "yes, we lost some leadership when Wong/Miller left", but I said that (surprisingly) Norchad could step into the role because he IS SO STRONG and people will respect him. Then he just took over that game and had put in 33 points.

So, yeah, it might be a bit late in the season. I'll still go back to your point though. IF IF IF you think that Coach L is putting bigs into complementary roles, what can we do to change it? Do we need an assistant coach who will develop bigs? Because, so far (and I can't tell if it is a player or a coach thing), it doesn't seem like the bigs we have are doing a lot when they DO get into the game.

It's a "chicken-and-egg" situation, in some ways. I just don't know how to break out of it. We've recruited some good bigs, they haven't made a huge impact, some have done very well, and I can understand why domeone may "not" want to come now, after years of seeing Coach L's output with bigs.

I just want it to stop, that's all. I want to win games, and I'd love to have some big men contributing to our success.

This is what is complete bull****.

Two 2023 Final Four teams - UM and FAU.

Miami is 14-6 and not in the bracket right now.

FAU is 17-4 and a #6 seed in that bracket.

2.5 games of overall difference (3 games of conference-record difference). Miami in a much tougher conference.

Ridiculous.

And I know, I know, the stats nerds are gonna come here to give some long-winded rationalization.

It's a "chicken-and-egg" situation, in some ways. I just don't know how to break out of it. We've recruited some good bigs, they haven't made a huge impact, some have done very well, and I can understand why domeone may "not" want to come now, after years of seeing Coach L's output with bigs.

I just want it to stop, that's all. I want to win games, and I'd love to have some big men contributing to our success.

The truth is the only NBA prospect “big” that we’ve ever signed is DH (not even a “true” big) and his career was F’d by the ncaa.

L and his staff have turned several “projects” into ACC caliber bigs who are having nice careers overseas.

But all the elite prospects care about is NBA track record (and maybe program “resources”) and it’s **** near impossible to “develop” a project big into a NBA player (because if a big has the athleticism to be a NBA player they’re an elite blue chip recruit).

So until last year (pre-NIL), we had no bag game, minimal support for the program, and no history putting bigs in the league (because, again, almost every drafted big comes out of high school a top-20 recruit). Hence we couldn’t land an elite big so then we didn’t have a track record of putting bigs in the league… and around again.

Last year we didn’t have a starting spot for a big with Omier, even if we had the excess NIL sitting around to overpay for one… which we also didn’t.

Yes Coach L doesn’t value size without skill (and he’s adapted to winning without elite size out of necessity).

He has also recruited elite bigs because Coach L WANTS size (without success… maybe until Nwoko who is/was a fringe elite player).

Hopefully recent success and NIL will help Coach L land nba prospect bigs… but I know Canes fans who torpedo such recruiting efforts (such as in this thread) aren't helping the problem.

If there’s any question whether L knows how to coach a team with size, 2013 should provide a satisfactory answer (even though none of those bigs were close to NBA level).

Also - and lastly - Zach Edey and Purdue would like everyone to know that guard play matters in March.

Advertisement
You know me, I'll never be mad at you or anyone speaking the truth. I agree with you that our bigs are capable of playing out on the wings. Then again, I was at the Final Four and watched one of UConn's big men hit a few threes to start off the first half. So...I don't know...

But I hear what you are saying. I don't think we play more than one big guy at a time, and the strength/length (pause?) is not emphasized. I was talking with some alums about a month ago, I said "yes, we lost some leadership when Wong/Miller left", but I said that (surprisingly) Norchad could step into the role because he IS SO STRONG and people will respect him. Then he just took over that game and had put in 33 points.

So, yeah, it might be a bit late in the season. I'll still go back to your point though. IF IF IF you think that Coach L is putting bigs into complementary roles, what can we do to change it? Do we need an assistant coach who will develop bigs? Because, so far (and I can't tell if it is a player or a coach thing), it doesn't seem like the bigs we have are doing a lot when they DO get into the game.

It's not a matter of having a coach who can develop bigs on staff. It's the size we are recruiting they're essentially stretch 3s & 4s. They're playing the game style was exactly the way we want. So having a coach to develope them would be pointless as long as Schematically we still have the same approach. One thing I'll say about coach L is he's always shown the ability to adapt to the rosters he has. Honestly the first time I can even think of him so much as recruiting a flat out center is with nephew. I do think his thought (& what was explained) is he can play 4 & 5. He can play in the paint or on the perimeter because his game does work that way. But if we're running as much as we do and we never play in the half court I just can't see how it would work. It would take a complete 180 in his approach. You just as much as several other people here know exactly how much I love this university and what I continue to do for us. It broke my heart seeing my nephew come here just cause he wanted to make me happy only to see coaches refuse to put him in a position to succeed. I won't let another one of my nephew's put his dreams in jeopardy over me. People can understand it or not. They choice. If my nephew was a wing player I'd make **** sure he was here. But he aint.

It's not a matter of having a coach who can develop bigs on staff. It's the size we are recruiting they're essentially stretch 3s & 4s. They're playing the game style was exactly the way we want. So having a coach to develope them would be pointless as long as Schematically we still have the same approach. One thing I'll say about coach L is he's always shown the ability to adapt to the rosters he has. Honestly the first time I can even think of him so much as recruiting a flat out center is with nephew. I do think his thought (& what was explained) is he can play 4 & 5. He can play in the paint or on the perimeter because his game does work that way. But if we're running as much as we do and we never play in the half court I just can't see how it would work. It would take a complete 180 in his approach. You just as much as several other people here know exactly how much I love this university and what I continue to do for us. It broke my heart seeing my nephew come here just cause he wanted to make me happy only to see coaches refuse to put him in a position to succeed. I won't let another one of my nephew's put his dreams in jeopardy over me. People can understand it or not. They choice. If my nephew was a wing player I'd make **** sure he was here. But he aint.
Not sure who your nephew is but sounds like he's an undersized (6'7"ish?) post player and if that's the case, it won't matter which college he attends because the NBA will be difficult to achieve at any school. Under 6'8" post players are dinosaurs in the NBA. Truth be told, your nephew needs to go somewhere that will develop him and showcase his ability facing the basket if he's to have a real shot at the league. Similar to what they're doing with Norchad. Aside from that hope he's got elite athleticism. A guy like Jalen Duren comes to mind. Undersized, but possesses uber athletic ability and is tough. I'm of the belief a guy like this would flourish under Coach L. That's just my 2 cents. Wishing your nephew the best of luck. GO CANES!!

Not sure who your nephew is but sounds like he's an undersized (6'7"ish?) post player and if that's the case, it won't matter which college he attends because the NBA will be difficult to achieve at any school. Under 6'8" post players are dinosaurs in the NBA. Truth be told, your nephew needs to go somewhere that will develop him and showcase his ability facing the basket if he's to have a real shot at the league. Similar to what they're doing with Norchad. Aside from that hope he's got elite athleticism. A guy like Jalen Duren comes to mind. Undersized, but possesses uber athletic ability and is tough. I'm of the belief a guy like this would flourish under Coach L. That's just my 2 cents. Wishing your nephew the best of luck. GO CANES!!
I think his “nephew” is a 7 footer who Miami is apparently recruiting. Shame to discourage a kid like that from attending Miami because L made Jekiri and Izundu and even Rok darn good post players by their senior years.

Not sure why you felt he's 6'7ish or undersized. As of now he's 17 years old 7ft and about 270. He plays between 260-275 and he already has an elite game facing the basket or his back to the rim. He's one of the only people in America in the last 10 years that Hakeem olujuwan has taken under his wing and taught him how to play. For the people who know Hakeem standards that makes more sense. He refuses to work with just about anyone unless he's amazed by them. When he was smaller he was raised in John Lucas academy so he has good shooting,distributing and handling skills. Now for the last two years he's played for LeBron teams with both bonny and Bryce. So needless to say he's got some good tutelage throughout the years. Maybe you thought he was undersized because I was talking about my other nephew (his brother)as well who came here for football and played wide out. He is big for wideouts too. Lol. Shaq has mentored him too. I always try to keep his ego in check because he has the potential to be on some next ****.

Advertisement
I think his “nephew” is a 7 footer who Miami is apparently recruiting. Shame to discourage a kid like that from attending Miami because L made Jekiri and Izundu and even Rok darn good post players by their senior years.
You just keep saying dumb **** without getting it. No one is saying he can't use size or develop kids with size. Having size DOESNT MEAN THEY ARE A BIG. ALL OF THE PEOPLE YALL KEEP MENTIONING JUST LIKE DEJUAN WERE TALL BUT LANKY. THEY WERE WIREY DUDES WHO PLAYED INSIDE SOME BUT THEY WERE COMPLIMENTARY PIECES. THEY RAN THE FLOOR AND GOT THEIR OWN OFF THE BOARDS. That only works for normally speaking someone who has that type of build. My nephew is a BIG. HE IS A TRADITIONAL CENTER OR A 4 with the ability to do all the rest. But he's not a complimentary piece. He wouldn't thrive in that kind of role. So while you keep speaking about all of these other people and saying how great coach L did for them(while in some cases you are right)none of them were actual centers. They were centers only because they played the position & that's exactly my point. Now stop bothering to mention me in any of this please. I wasn't trying to have some drawn out conversation. I made two simple comments and you've continued to drag that out over the course of several days now. Also while you're saying what a great job he did with those guys, feel free to point out exactly what any of them have done while they were here or once they left. You've mentioned dudes playing overseas & all I'm gonna say to that is in most leagues overseas you play for a few months out of the year and make change. You can work a regular job and do better for yourself. That's not what any kid WANTS to do.

You just keep saying dumb **** without getting it. No one is saying he can't use size or develop kids with size. Having size DOESNT MEAN THEY ARE A BIG. ALL OF THE PEOPLE YALL KEEP MENTIONING JUST LIKE DEJUAN WERE TALL BUT LANKY. THEY WERE WIREY DUDES WHO PLAYED INSIDE SOME BUT THEY WERE COMPLIMENTARY PIECES. THEY RAN THE FLOOR AND GOT THEIR OWN OFF THE BOARDS. That only works for normally speaking someone who has that type of build. My nephew is a BIG. HE IS A TRADITIONAL CENTER OR A 4 with the ability to do all the rest. But he's not a complimentary piece. He wouldn't thrive in that kind of role. So while you keep speaking about all of these other people and saying how great coach L did for them(while in some cases you are right)none of them were actual centers. They were centers only because they played the position & that's exactly my point. Now stop bothering to mention me in any of this please. I wasn't trying to have some drawn out conversation. I made two simple comments and you've continued to drag that out over the course of several days now. Also while you're saying what a great job he did with those guys, feel free to point out exactly what any of them have done while they were here or once they left. You've mentioned dudes playing overseas & all I'm gonna say to that is in most leagues overseas you play for a few months out of the year and make change. You can work a regular job and do better for yourself. That's not what any kid WANTS to do.

You came on here spewing garbage calling L a corpse and saying he doesn’t want size and you were negative recruiting Miami with your nephew.

Funny thing is I wasn’t even talking to you.

Good luck to your nephew but take your toxic **** somewhere else.

We got a program to support that has brought more excitement and joy to Miami fans than anything else in the last two decades. I’m hoping football gets back to that kind of success, but I won’t be publicly or privately hurting the program either way.

Not sure why you felt he's 6'7ish or undersized. As of now he's 17 years old 7ft and about 270. He plays between 260-275 and he already has an elite game facing the basket or his back to the rim. He's one of the only people in America in the last 10 years that Hakeem olujuwan has taken under his wing and taught him how to play. For the people who know Hakeem standards that makes more sense. He refuses to work with just about anyone unless he's amazed by them. When he was smaller he was raised in John Lucas academy so he has good shooting,distributing and handling skills. Now for the last two years he's played for LeBron teams with both bonny and Bryce. So needless to say he's got some good tutelage throughout the years. Maybe you thought he was undersized because I was talking about my other nephew (his brother)as well who came here for football and played wide out. He is big for wideouts too. Lol. Shaq has mentored him too. I always try to keep his ego in check because he has the potential to be on some next ****.

My bad dawg. I thought I read one of your previous post where you mentioned him as being undersized. Not sure what I was looking at but good to hear that your nephew has grown to 7 feet. When I saw him over the summer thought he was around 6'9', maybe 6'10". Regardless, 7'0" 270 lbs moving the way he's moving is impressive for anyone at that combination of size & weight. Just got to keep living in the lab and getting better, because bigs at that size are dinosaurs in the NBA with the rare exception of guys who can hurt you inside and out like Embid, Jokic, even Brooke Lopez from the Bucks among a select few. Don't want your nephew to end up like Oscar Tshiebwe, Drew Timee or Adam Sanogo. All big guys who killed it in college but went undrafted and are struggling to stick in the NBA.

By the way, there's a kid down here in Miami who's also about the same size as your nephew. Marcis Ponder (6'11" 275lbs). He's 15 years old, 10th grader formerly from Miami Norland but now playing at Overtime Elite. His measurables are off the charts. Overtime measured him at 6'11", 7'6" wing span, 10.5 inch hands, size 21 shoe. Don't know what they're feeding these kids today but ****! Not sure if Miami is recruiting him but do know fsu, among others have already offered him. Coach Ham told a friend of mine that Marcis is the biggest American 15 year old he's ever seen. And that says a lot considering how long and how many bigs Ham has been around.

Not that you asked, but my advice with your nephew's recruiting is make sure he goes to play for a head coach that LOVES his game. Has a track record of developing guys for the league, preferably bigs. At a school that NEEDS him, not just wants him. If I've learned anything about college basketball it's that more times than not head coaches will play a huge role in determining if one of their players gets a chance at the league or not. Best of luck to your nephew!

Advertisement
My bad dawg. I thought I read one of your previous post where you mentioned him as being undersized. Not sure what I was looking at but good to hear that your nephew has grown to 7 feet. When I saw him over the summer thought he was around 6'9', maybe 6'10". Regardless, 7'0" 270 lbs moving the way he's moving is impressive for anyone at that combination of size & weight. Just got to keep living in the lab and getting better, because bigs at that size are dinosaurs in the NBA with the rare exception of guys who can hurt you inside and out like Embid, Jokic, even Brooke Lopez from the Bucks among a select few. Don't want your nephew to end up like Oscar Tshiebwe, Drew Timee or Adam Sanogo. All big guys who killed it in college but went undrafted and are struggling to stick in the NBA.

By the way, there's a kid down here in Miami who's also about the same size as your nephew. Marcis Ponder (6'11" 275lbs). He's 15 years old, 10th grader formerly from Miami Norland but now playing at Overtime Elite. His measurables are off the charts. Overtime measured him at 6'11", 7'6" wing span, 10.5 inch hands, size 21 shoe. Don't know what they're feeding these kids today but ****! Not sure if Miami is recruiting him but do know fsu, among others have already offered him. Coach Ham told a friend of mine that Marcis is the biggest American 15 year old he's ever seen. And that says a lot considering how long and how many bigs Ham has been around.

Not that you asked, but my advice with your nephew's recruiting is make sure he goes to play for a head coach that LOVES his game. Has a track record of developing guys for the league, preferably bigs. At a school that NEEDS him, not just wants him. If I've learned anything about college basketball it's that more times than not head coaches will play a huge role in determining if one of their players gets a chance at the league or not. Best of luck to your nephew!
That's a big boy for any age let alone 15. Coach Hamilton calls me on a regular about nephew cause I know ham from his time here. Great dude. He'll of a coach. Definitely prioritizes his bigs but I been told him no chance in **** I let that boy go there either. He ain't going to poo, he ain't going to gayturds or those pedo Irish. That's all I care about on that. I agree one hundred percent on a coach that loves his game and needs him. Is overtime elite the dudes in Atlanta? The ones the twins just got drafted from? They want nephew to play there. But more than likely it'll come down to ucla,usc,arizona,kansas,baylor,Carolina or Michigan. LOL. Pretty short list right. Cooper Flagg keeps trying to get him to come to Duke but that's just cause he's tired of getting dunked on. Lmao.

That's a big boy for any age let alone 15. Coach Hamilton calls me on a regular about nephew cause I know ham from his time here. Great dude. He'll of a coach. Definitely prioritizes his bigs but I been told him no chance in **** I let that boy go there either. He ain't going to poo, he ain't going to gayturds or those pedo Irish. That's all I care about on that. I agree one hundred percent on a coach that loves his game and needs him. Is overtime elite the dudes in Atlanta? The ones the twins just got drafted from? They want nephew to play there. But more than likely it'll come down to ucla,usc,arizona,kansas,baylor,Carolina or Michigan. LOL. Pretty short list right. Cooper Flagg keeps trying to get him to come to Duke but that's just cause he's tired of getting dunked on. Lmao.
Yes sir. Overtime Elite is in ATL and it's where the Thompson twins finished up their high school careers. It's a great option for any high school kid. Their facilities are second to none. Love the small classroom setting they provide. Kids have access to around the clock training. If they're offering your nephew NIL to go there for his senior year of high school, he should definitely think about it. As far as Coach Ham is concerned, very down to earth. In past years he'd definitely be someone I'd consider if I had a big kid looking for a school. But it seems his coaching career is coning to an end. Word is he'll be in trailerhassee another year or two and then will be hanging it up.

Yes sir. Overtime Elite is in ATL and it's where the Thompson twins finished up their high school careers. It's a great option for any high school kid. Their facilities are second to none. Love the small classroom setting they provide. Kids have access to around the clock training. If they're offering your nephew NIL to go there for his senior year of high school, he should definitely think about it. As far as Coach Ham is concerned, very down to earth. In past years he'd definitely be someone I'd consider if I had a big kid looking for a school. But it seems his coaching career is coning to an end. Word is he'll be in trailerhassee another year or two and then will be hanging it up.
Hams health is becoming an issue. He just had hip replacement surgery a few months back and it didn't go the greatest. I could see no more than another year. Far as OTE we've heard some plusses and minuses. They're offering him a decent nil. But he's got a few friends that have already played there and two playing this year. Apparently they've got some financial issues. Complaints about kids either not getting paid or seriously late in other instances. Some College coaches have also voiced displeasure with them & it concerns tee a lil that it may affect his options for college. Last issue is its in Atlanta. He just turned 17 & none of us are located anywhere near there. I'm the closest in Miami but I also spend alot of time in other cities up north or out west. Ehh. Good talk brother. Thanks for your opinions. Always good to chop it up for a few & get another take on things.

Advertisement
Back