This may be overly optimistic, but I believe that we are...

Our improvement on the OL will determine whether we have ashot at the CFP, win the ACC, or lose the Coastal again.

our D will be legit. we had one of best rbs in the acc. we have potentially the best wr in the acc. our TE is always good. without knowing who our qb is, if our ol plays like a top 3 line in the ACC we win the coastal and potentially win the entire acc, which puts us in contention to make the cfp

So what are you going to do about depth on offense. Surely you don't think we are going to make it through two camps and a full season injury free? I mean haven't we learned our lesson year after year that you don't turn a program around overnight? If it was that easy we should have had no trouble winning it all this year with best QB in UM history, AA TE, 1K rusher, AA WR and AA CB. Maybe I'm missing something.

We have depth. We just don't have an OL that has proven they can play like a ACC winning unit.

RB - First of all I actually do want Gus to transfer, but if he doesn't he can at least be an average ACC running back in the event Walton gets hurt. But also I think Homer might be legit. He was electric everytime he got on the field. Also Anthony McFarland could probably step up immediately. Dude looks good. Then after those guys theres the board favorite Trayone Gray, although I think he will be given a crack at the starting FB spot this year.

WR - We are solid at WR this year. I really don't get why everyone thinks we are so bad at this position. The only person I think that would be a major loss on this unit is Richards. Richards and Cager on the outside with Berrios in the slot sounds good to me. Plus I'm a big fan of Dionte Mullins I think by the end of the year he works his way into the starting rotation. Then if we get Smith and Thomas, which isn't completely unlikely, then we are looking extremely good at WR this year.

TE - Herndon is going to be very good this year. Our depth here isn't too good. But I really am not worried. If Herndon goes down Haskins will step up, and to me he looks like he's going to be Njoku all over again. I don't think we will ever really be worried about the TE position. We always fill it with future NFL players.

Everything rides on the OLine

Depth, in my opinion, means that you can lose one or two starters and not have too much of a dropoff in talent unless your #1 is an elite player.

You bring up RB. It's basically Walton and that's it. Don't get me wrong, I believe Homer will be another great back, but he only received 7 carries last year. That's not enough to really gauge how good of a group you have. I don't know why Richt didn't give him more carries. The fact that you mentioned Gray as a FB even further shines light on the problem. How do we know if Choc may or may not recover fully? We'll basically have Walton, unknown sophomore, and an often injured freshman Robert Burns meaning we have to close with Anthony McFarland or else the "depth" that you described will be non-existent.

Solid would be best-case scenario meaning we close with Devonta Smith, Jeff Thomas, and Jordan Pouncey. Let's be realistic, only AR and Berrios have any significant playing time. Cager and Mullins have the talent but don't have nearly enough time on the field for anyone to say that we're solid at WR.

Hernon will be another good UM TE. You may not be worried about the depth but I am. If Herndon goes down, we lose our best blocker and pass-catching TE and will have to rely on a TE(s) who again didn't get playing time and are currently in the "dog-house". I'd say we never have to worry about RB before I'd say TE. Njoku was close to being a LB, Walford didn't really develop into a good TE until his junior season, and we got Jimmy(can't believe he's already 30) for one year.

We seriously need an injection of talent everywhere.

Advertisement
Our improvement on the OL will determine whether we have ashot at the CFP, win the ACC, or lose the Coastal again.

our D will be legit. we had one of best rbs in the acc. we have potentially the best wr in the acc. our TE is always good. without knowing who our qb is, if our ol plays like a top 3 line in the ACC we win the coastal and potentially win the entire acc, which puts us in contention to make the cfp

So what are you going to do about depth on offense. Surely you don't think we are going to make it through two camps and a full season injury free? I mean haven't we learned our lesson year after year that you don't turn a program around overnight? If it was that easy we should have had no trouble winning it all this year with best QB in UM history, AA TE, 1K rusher, AA WR and AA CB. Maybe I'm missing something.

We have depth. We just don't have an OL that has proven they can play like a ACC winning unit.

RB - First of all I actually do want Gus to transfer, but if he doesn't he can at least be an average ACC running back in the event Walton gets hurt. But also I think Homer might be legit. He was electric everytime he got on the field. Also Anthony McFarland could probably step up immediately. Dude looks good. Then after those guys theres the board favorite Trayone Gray, although I think he will be given a crack at the starting FB spot this year.

WR - We are solid at WR this year. I really don't get why everyone thinks we are so bad at this position. The only person I think that would be a major loss on this unit is Richards. Richards and Cager on the outside with Berrios in the slot sounds good to me. Plus I'm a big fan of Dionte Mullins I think by the end of the year he works his way into the starting rotation. Then if we get Smith and Thomas, which isn't completely unlikely, then we are looking extremely good at WR this year.

TE - Herndon is going to be very good this year. Our depth here isn't too good. But I really am not worried. If Herndon goes down Haskins will step up, and to me he looks like he's going to be Njoku all over again. I don't think we will ever really be worried about the TE position. We always fill it with future NFL players.

Depth, in my opinion, means that you can lose one or two starters and not have too much of a dropoff in talent unless your #1 is an elite player.

You bring up RB. It's basically Walton and that's it. Don't get me wrong, I believe Homer will be another great back, but he only received 7 carries last year. That's not enough to really gauge how good of a group you have. I don't know why Richt didn't give him more carries. The fact that you mentioned Gray as a FB even further shines light on the problem. How do we know if Choc may or may not recover fully? We'll basically have Walton, unknown sophomore, and an often injured freshman Robert Burns meaning we have to close with Anthony McFarland or else the "depth" that you described will be non-existent.

Solid would be best-case scenario meaning we close with Devonta Smith, Jeff Thomas, and Jordan Pouncey. Let's be realistic, only AR and Berrios have any significant playing time. Cager and Mullins have the talent but don't have nearly enough time on the field for anyone to say that we're solid at WR.

Hernon will be another good UM TE. You may not be worried about the depth but I am. If Herndon goes down, we lose our best blocker and pass-catching TE and will have to rely on a TE(s) who again didn't get playing time and are currently in the "dog-house". I'd say we never have to worry about RB before I'd say TE. Njoku was close to being a LB, Walford didn't really develop into a good TE until his junior season, and we got Jimmy(can't believe he's already 30) for one year.

Ooooohhhhh you gone get it now. Forever in the CIS dog house with Ropa and Moro... They want like this one. They will investigate you as another Moro.... RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ooooohhhhh you gone get it now. Forever in the CIS dog house with Ropa and Moro... They want like this one. They will investigate you as another Moro.... RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its the truth *shrugs*. We need to close strong for this recruiting class and then follow it up with a top 5-10 class next year in order to compete in the CFB unless we have a Heisman hopeful at QB. Can't say you're ready to compete when your OL couldn't run block the entire year and no one as talented or even near Corn or Rayshawn in the secondary.

Last edited:

Its the truth *shrugs*. We need to close strong for this recruiting class and then follow it up with a top 5-10 class next year in order to compete in the CFB unless we have a Heisman hopeful at QB. Can't say you're ready to compete when your OL couldn't run block the entire year and no one as talented or even near Corn or Rayshawn in the secondary.

Yes Sir, I feel ya!!! CIS fans just don't get it; you need an influx of talent on this team to play on the big stage. Not to mention you need the coaching that can make the key adjustments during the game Richt aint there yet as a play caller and Diaz aint really been tested yet. When Diaz hit the big stage only then will we get a glimpse at being BOSS like Shannon!!!

Yeah. Richt either needs to find an offensive consultant to modernize his play-calling or hire a real OC. Diaz hasn't been tested yet but did an admirable job with not much experience to work with. Like Lu said in the DB thread, you won't see the full extent of the defense until Manny has certain players.

55d633c8cd9cb05f649573c3f82e98ee10f0a40397bd2314eff440fd988cd85a.jpg

Shannon who?

Advertisement

Yes Sir, I feel ya!!! CIS fans just don't get it; you need an influx of talent on this team to play on the big stage. Not to mention you need the coaching that can make the key adjustments during the game Richt aint there yet as a play caller and Diaz aint really been tested yet. When Diaz hit the big stage only then will we get a glimpse at being BOSS like Shannon!!!

lol you two are trippin. yall acting like we got no talent and like its a fact all these star players are going to get hurt. we fully understand that depth isnt exactly where we want it. but yall be acting like we dont got ****. you acting like we are bare at rb is just bs. rb is the easiest position for freshman to produce at a high level at, and mcfarland is a beast and basically guaranteed to be in this class. plus gus is still on the team and personally i think gus is trash, but he would still be at least an average acc rb.

yall be making it sound like if we dont got 5*s across the board we cant win a title and its complete bs. yall can go on and b*tch about our depth while im watching our starters **** other teams up

Last edited:
The more I think about it, the clearer it becomes that we should have a pretty substantial advantage in the trenches next year. It's our speed on the outside that remains a concern. Jesus.

lol you two are trippin. yall acting like we got no talent and like its a fact all these star players are going to get hurt. we fully understand that depth isnt exactly where we want it. but yall be acting like we dont got ****. you acting like we are bare at rb is just bs. rb is the easiest position for freshman to produce at a high level at, and mcfarland is a beast and basically guaranteed to be in this class. plus gus is still on the team and personally i think gus is trash, but he would still be at least an average acc rb.

yall be making it sound like if we dont got 5*s across the board we cant win a title and its complete bs. yall can go on and b*tch about our depth while im watching our starters **** other teams up

If we're talking championship caliber year in year out, then we need to stack talent in the 2-deep and have all contributor-level players redshirt unless they are immediate impact special teams players.

But as far as winning the division/ACC and playing in a New Year big 6 bowl, no reason we can't do that. Just look at teams like Ped State, USC, Wisconsin, LSU, Oklahoma, FSU, Michigan and Auburn. None of those teams were championship caliber this year and all had glaring holes. We have issues to be addressed, but a good finish to the recruiting class, improvements in strength/speed, and productive spring/fall workouts are the keys to improve this team. If our staff is legit, they'll find a way.

If we played like we did against WVU the whole season, we would have already been better than half those teams.

Here is my take, like it or leave it.

Lber, totally straight, loaded here, and bringing new guys to go with that Fab fresh class. Will be strength for future

Front 4 good, not great Need to keep filling more depth. Definitely not a weakness though

D-Backs need a ways to go here. Corn will be huge loss. Need improvement and depth

O-Line Need more guys like Donaldson Hope he steps right into starting guard and takes off. Need many more young hogs like him.

QB ????????

Rb we are OK here.

Wr need more depth

Battle for Coastal division s the sky.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back