This is why Parrish and Franklin have a great opportunity

We've had a sub par run blocking line for a while now and some guys were able to be produce somewhat while others didn't. Anybody can be a good running back when you're just running through huge holes. The difference between great backs and average backs is the ability to produce even when the blocking isn't perfect.

I have a feeling we'll see the cream rise to the top this season. The backfield is crowded and there's only so many carries to go around.

Advertisement
Harris had really good vision. The problem for him was, he didnt attack holes, he tip toed them.

Chaney and Knighton dont have that (yet). However, both of their ypc will go up when they run behind a Mirabal and Cristobal coached O-Line.

Harris had really good vision. The problem for him was, he didnt attack holes, he tip toed them.

Harris’ problem is lateral movement. He isn’t very good at changing directions without slowing down a ton. In the open field he could jump cut and it was fairly effective. But in limited space he would struggle finding the lane in the zone scheme. The double edged sword of a zone blocking scheme is a back with good vision and quick feet can chose his crease and attack it rather than run through a specific gap. The downside is an indecisive runner or someone who can’t pivot and change direction quickly will often hit the wrong hole and get stuffed. Couple that with a poor interior line you’re asking the running back to do a lot of work

In 2020 Cam had twice as many carries as Don and Rooster. He was bound to break 1 a game. I’m not saying Don and Rooster perfect, but they are much more talented than Cam in my opinion
The last 2 years:
Cam - 197 carries - 8 30+ yd runs
Knighton - 197 carries - 1 30+ yd run

Same scheme & OL for both. Scheme & OL didn't enable Cam to hit long runs while preventing Knighton from doing the same. Knighton's just not doing it.

Now Knighton has 5 30+ yd catches - but the UNC catch is the only one where he really made a move to create that. But his speed was on display.

I thought Chaney & Knighton were both more talented than Cam when they came in as Freshman. I think that's still in play, but I'm definitely a lot less bullish on it given the on-field results. You can think Chaney & Knighton are more talented than Cam while also acknowledging Cam was better the last 2 years.

Advertisement
The last 2 years:

Same scheme & OL for both. Scheme & OL didn't enable Cam to hit long runs while preventing Knighton from doing the same. Knighton's just not doing it.

Now Knighton has 5 30+ yd catches - but the UNC catch is the only one where he really made a move to create that. But his speed was on display.

I thought Chaney & Knighton were both more talented than Cam when they came in as Freshman. I think that's still in play, but I'm definitely a lot less bullish on it given the on-field results. You can think Chaney & Knighton are more talented than Cam while also acknowledging Cam was better the last 2 years.
Opponents matter. Before Cam got hurt last year, his best games were against Central Conn ST, App St and Virginia. If we had the same exact team as last year with this current scheme and coaches I would bet a lot of money Cam wouldn’t be out lead back if Rooster and Don are healthy

Opponents matter. Before Cam got hurt last year, his best games were against Central Conn ST, App St and Virginia. If we had the same exact team as last year with this current scheme and coaches I would bet a lot of money Cam wouldn’t be out lead back if Rooster and Don are healthy
2020 - Cam outplayed Knighton in 2020 with all the same opponents

2021 - Cam outplayed Knighton vs the 2 teams they both played - UVA & UNC:
Cam - 20 for 137 yds - 6.9 ypc - 2TD's
Knighton - 32 for 136 - 4.3 ypc - 2 TD's

Against common opponents - Cam & Chaney played similar, and Cam outplayed Knighton by a pretty good margin.

IMO Chaney would've overtaken Cam last year, but that's speculation. He didn't actually do it on the field. And who knows - maybe Knighton would have too. The coaches certainly favored Knighton.

Strictly from a collegiate production standpoint, no rb on this team is better than Henry Parrish. He also did it in the SEC and averaged over 5ypc against ranked opponents. That includes Alabama, Texas A&M and Arkansas. Plus he and Kevin Smith are down.

I don't see how he isn't at the very least #2. I'd be surprised if he isn't #1. Availability is critical and Cheney hasn't proven he can do that. The raw talent for Cheney is apparent though.

Unless our OL improves, Barry Sanders ain’t gonna pick up yards back there. I am confident in Mario fixing this, but do we have the talent now?
OL will improve with Mario as will a SEC S&C program. we have been bullied for years.... i was at at bama game game men against boys.....

Advertisement
The last 2 years:

Don’t argue rb statistics with this man , he’s the rb guru foreal and you won’t win lol

Chaney and Knighton dont have that (yet). However, both of their ypc will go up when they run behind a Mirabal and Cristobal coached O-Line.

Never did I see much vision from Harris

I do agree with no lateral movement from the other poster.

Never did I see much vision from Harris

I do agree with no lateral movement from the other poster.

Rewatch the games. He has good vision.

Made a lot of good lateral cuts behind the line too.

His biggest problem was penetration from poor offensive line play. He had WAYYYYY too many plays of his blockers getting whipped on the front side, the backside and straight up the middle. The indecisiveness was caused by being corralled in the backfield by multiple defenders as soon as he got the handoff.

Cam was a very good college running back, but he ain’t Barry Sanders. That’s what it would take to get more production running behind the **** our line was doing. He didn’t have the ELITE lateral quickness or the balance to salvage those plays.

In true CIS fashion, we **** on him when we had him, but we missed him when he was gone.

I have tried to avoid being a homer after so many years of disappointment. But I truly believe we’re going to be pleasantly surprised about our running backs at the end of the season. The vast majority of us were ecstatic when we landed Chaney, Knighton, Franklin, Citizen. And many of us wanted Parrish when he fears a HS recruit, too, including me. They are going to get the job done and then some.

Advertisement
Rewatch the games. He has good vision.

Made a lot of good lateral cuts behind the line too.

His biggest problem was penetration from poor offensive line play. He had WAYYYYY too many plays of his blockers getting whipped on the front side, the backside and straight up the middle. The indecisiveness was caused by being corralled in the backfield by multiple defenders as soon as he got the handoff.

Cam was a very good college running back, but he ain’t Barry Sanders. That’s what it would take to get more production running behind the **** our line was doing. He didn’t have the ELITE lateral quickness or the balance to salvage those plays.

In true CIS fashion, we **** on him when we had him, but we missed him when he was gone.

Ya I was pretty neutral on him his career...Very good hands that we didn't utilize enough

I saw patience tad better as career progressed for sure, just never really saw the vision you spoke of

Ya I was pretty neutral on him his career...Very good hands that we didn't utilize enough

I saw patience tad better as career progressed for sure, just never really saw the vision you spoke of

I thought his vision was bad too, but when I started rewatching games and the plays, I realized he could see much more than we give him credit.

There are so many plays that people say he is top toeing, but he isn’t. He is a VERY patient and skilled runner. Guys would lose their blocks INSTANTLY at multiple positions on the line. He would adjust to the first man, but that adjustment would take him into the path of another defender who was whiffed on. He wouldn’t have any momentum and get taken down for a loss or no gain.

When he wasn’t dodging multiple guys in the backfield, he hit the hole hard.

Many of his long runs required him to change direction into the hole. He wasn’t just running a straight line most of those plays.

I really liked Rooster out of HS. Like, a LOT. And he is still a very good player and can be a major weapon for us. But I think this ends the debate of how good of an inside runner he was last year and probably puts him behind the 8 ball as far as a pure RB in our pecking order. Check out the tweet below.

What this is telling you, is of all the returning P5 backs, he was dead last in YPC on plays that were poorly blocked. Which is what the people stanning for him were saying. The run blocking sucked, he had no chance, etc. But when other backs had poor blocking, every single retuning P5 back was better. All of them.

OK, he’s not great when the line doesn’t help him much. But what about when he has a well blocked play in front of him? Uhhh, not great there as well. 2nd worst YPC in the P5. Bottom left on this chart is….not good. And he’s wayyyy in a class by himself.

This is one of the reasons why I’ve been saying he needs to be put into better situations. I think he should play slot WR or be involved in 2 back sets where he can get the ball on the edges and/or used in the passing game. Especially with the depth of the room. Look at Parrish on this chart also. Not exceptional, but MUCH better than Rooster on making something out of nothing.

Rooster can help us a ton here. But it can’t be how he was used last year (and yes, I realize last year it was out of necessity. But still. Gattis has to recognize what he does and does not do well.)

Advertisement
I really liked Rooster out of HS. Like, a LOT. And he is still a very good player and can be a major weapon for us. But I think this ends the debate of how good of an inside runner he was last year and probably puts him behind the 8 ball as far as a pure RB in our pecking order. Check out the tweet below.

What this is telling you, is of all the returning P5 backs, he was dead last in YPC on plays that were poorly blocked. Which is what the people stanning for him were saying. The run blocking sucked, he had no chance, etc. But when other backs had poor blocking, every single retuning P5 back was better. All of them.

OK, he’s not great when the line doesn’t help him much. But what about when he has a well blocked play in front of him? Uhhh, not great there as well. 2nd worst YPC in the P5. Bottom left on this chart is….not good. And he’s wayyyy in a class by himself.

This is one of the reasons why I’ve been saying he needs to be put into better situations. I think he should play slot WR or be involved in 2 back sets where he can get the ball on the edges and/or used in the passing game. Especially with the depth of the room. Look at Parrish on this chart also. Not exceptional, but MUCH better than Rooster on making something out of nothing.

Rooster can help us a ton here. But it can’t be how he was used last year (and yes, I realize last year it was out of necessity. But still. Gattis has to recognize what he does and does not do well.)

He has some great tools. But this speaks for itself

Bottom left on this chart is….not good. And he’s wayyyy in a class by himself.

Thanks for posting! This chart shows the point I've been trying to make. The poor results have been mainly because of Knighton's running style.

Here's Kevin Smith coaching up Henry Parrish. If he can get this message through to Knighton, and I hope he does, we'll see better results.

1654193445198.png

Advertisement
Back