This is why Parrish and Franklin have a great opportunity

When you're 122nd in the nation, you can't blame it all on the OL. We weren't the worst OL in the nation and they were running into light boxes.

Knighton is one of the best playmakers in the ACC but hasn't done much as a runner. Career 3.9 yards per carry. And he's had off-the-field stuff which makes him difficult to count on.

Chaney is an obvious talent but it hasn't happened yet. It's been two years and he still hasn't had a long TD run. That's supposed to be his game. He's not a consistent gainer and he hasn't pass blocked well. Cam (who is flawed) was way more explosive than he was with the same line.

Again, we all know those two have talent. But you can't rely on it. Pay attention to Kevin Smith's actions. There is a reason we went so hard after Citizen and Parrish.
We went so hard after citizen... As we should have. Not gonna go into stats or whether or not I'd agree as opinions are opinions. I'd really hope when you guys see the results behind a consistent well coached oline than you come back on & acknowledge facts. The chart when healthy is Chaney,rooster & citizen. Rooster will be used as far more than a back. Bigger picture Citizen has the most upside of all with Chaney's only limitation(on the field) being pass protection. Citizen Is already a complete back. The question will be how fast he's able to adjust to the speed of the game & learn the playbook. Context applies to everything my friend.

Advertisement
Boy y'all stay pushing this narrative lmao

Cody Brown gets his negatives pointed out; "yall never like to give kids a chance when they're not from South Florida"
Knighton gets his negatives pointed out; "y'all talking about him, but if he wasn't from South Florida it would be worse"

Can't make this up lol. Maybe...just maybe we're just calling things how we see it...

Thing is - no one ever had high expectations for Cody Brown and no one ever made excuses for him. Knighton - they do.

When it's a close call - that's when the bias kicks in. Yearby vs Gus, Walton vs Gus, Cam vs Deejay, even Walton vs Homer - the benefit of the doubt will always skew towards the Dade/Broward RB.

And Dade/Broward RB's are the best in the country - so it makes sense to give them the benefit of the doubt. I get it.

But Dade/Broward RB's don't work out EVERY time & people have a hard time adjusting expectations when they turn out to be not as good as their ranking

Tyrone Moss - #31
Javarris James - #119
Joe Yearby - #45
Mark Walton - #83
Cam Harris - #173
Knighton - #106
Chaney - #114

So the exact same "Bad OL/Play Calling/Bad Coaching" excuse playbook is rolled out every time for these highly ranked guys.

Meanwhile - Lamar Miller & Duke Johnson ball out from the jump, A tier below them - Homer & Deejay balled out from the jump.

A very large majority of the time you see it right away and don't need to make those excuses.

When you're 122nd in the nation, you can't blame it all on the OL. We weren't the worst OL in the nation and they were running into light boxes.

Knighton is one of the best playmakers in the ACC but hasn't done much as a runner. Career 3.9 yards per carry. And he's had off-the-field stuff which makes him difficult to count on.

Chaney is an obvious talent but it hasn't happened yet. It's been two years and he still hasn't had a long TD run. That's supposed to be his game. He's not a consistent gainer and he hasn't pass blocked well. Cam (who is flawed) was way more explosive than he was with the same line.

Again, we all know those two have talent. But you can't rely on it. Pay attention to Kevin Smith's actions. There is a reason we went so hard after Citizen and Parrish.
I don’t know about him going so hard for citizen being due to him not liking our RBs. I think he went so hard for him cause he’s worth going after that hard.

Thing is - no one ever had high expectations for Cody Brown and no one ever made excuses for him. Knighton - they do.

When it's a close call - that's when the bias kicks in. Yearby vs Gus, Walton vs Gus, Cam vs Deejay, even Walton vs Homer - the benefit of the doubt will always skew towards the Dade/Broward RB.

And Dade/Broward RB's are the best in the country - so it makes sense to give them the benefit of the doubt. I get it.

But Dade/Broward RB's don't work out EVERY time & people have a hard time adjusting expectations when they turn out to be not as good as their ranking

Tyrone Moss - #31
Javarris James - #119
Joe Yearby - #45
Mark Walton - #83
Cam Harris - #173
Knighton - #106
Chaney - #114

So the exact same "Bad OL/Play Calling/Bad Coaching" excuse playbook is rolled out every time for these highly ranked guys.

Meanwhile - Lamar Miller & Duke Johnson ball out from the jump, A tier below them - Homer & Deejay balled out from the jump.

A very large majority of the time you see it right away and don't need to make those excuses.
Tyrone didn't play behind a bad oline. He just sucked and was over evaluated because people always hype the Florida,Cali & Texas kids the most. Same goes for javarris, Joe & mark. They played behind pretty good lines. They were just basic. Sometimes facts are just facts and narratives are simply personal. Several things can be true without it being a forced narrative. Fact #1 our oline sucked. Do I believe it was because of the talent or because of the scheme and play calling. Myself I think it's more on scheme and play calling. But that's not exactly relevant to the situation. It's a team sport for a reason. As a unit everyone has to be better.

Advertisement

Tyrone Moss - #31
Javarris James - #119
Joe Yearby - #45
Mark Walton - #83
Cam Harris - #173
Knighton - #106
Chaney - #114

Fans latch on to recruits and then go overboard defending them when they don’t pan out exactly how they hoped. It’s why some fans swore Yearby was better than Cook. ****, there’s still a contingent of fans who think Tirek Austin Cave should be starting at MLB even though the old staff and current staff buried him on the depth chart and now he’s at Rutgers or something. I want all our guys to play well but I’m not going to make excuses for a guy who’s not performing well just because I like him as a recruit.

Tyrone Moss - #31
Javarris James - #119
Joe Yearby - #45
Mark Walton - #83
Cam Harris - #173
Knighton - #106
Chaney - #114

What you talking about? These crappy posters in here hated Lamar miller and homer.

Line Yards - essentially rushing yards attributed to the success of the OL

Opportunity Rate - The percentage of carries (when four yards are available) that gain at least four yards, i.e. the percentage of carries in which the line does its job, so to speak.

Power Success Rate - percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown.

Stuff Rate - percentage of carries by running backs that are stopped at or before the line of scrimmage.

Miami 2021 rankings (# represents UM finishing position out of 130 teams):

Line Yards - 96
Opp. Rate - 117
Power Success Rate - 110
Stuff Rate - 109

2021 Miami had an OL problem, not a RB problem

And a play calling/design problem

Advertisement
We went so hard after citizen... As we should have. Not gonna go into stats or whether or not I'd agree as opinions are opinions. I'd really hope when you guys see the results behind a consistent well coached oline than you come back on & acknowledge facts. The chart when healthy is Chaney,rooster & citizen. Rooster will be used as far more than a back. Bigger picture Citizen has the most upside of all with Chaney's only limitation(on the field) being pass protection. Citizen Is already a complete back. The question will be how fast he's able to adjust to the speed of the game & learn the playbook. Context applies to everything my friend.

Chaney has so much potential it's ridiculous. People are rightfully frustrated based on his college performance due to injuries so far. But he's ELITE if healthy. I don't quite get why he's struggling with the blocking, maybe fear of injury when not running downhill? I also saw a few drops in the limited times he showed up in Spring practice highlight drills, so he looks rusty.

I just hope Chaney is 100% back and can put it all together by end of August. If not, I want him to medically redshirt and rely on the other three backs. We do not want to rush him back like Manny did to King and so many other kids last year.

i have serious concerns for this year’s OL, as well.

Strength is a major concern. Our guys weren’t ever able to impose their will. Zion is a finesse pass blocker that gets pushed around regularly. Donaldson and Clark were awful but we had no one better to take their spots. Jarid Williams was our best run blocker (the transfer as the best guy in the room was a theme during the Manny years) and he is gone.

Mario/Mirobel will help, but these aren’t guys they recruited. The OL looked good in the spring game - it looked like more gap blocking, which I like, but I didn’t review any film to check - but one must also question if our defensive front 7 is just that bad.

Going forward, I’d think we are in good hands. In the short term… idk, it doesn’t look good. Plug in any RB you want; if the line is crap, the RB and his numbers are gonna be crap.
Lol at your assessment of Zion. C’mon man you can’t be serious. Give the young man the credit he deserves instead of trying to minimize his value to the Oline and the team.

Lol at your assessment of Zion. C’mon man you can’t be serious. Give the young man the credit he deserves instead of trying to minimize his value to the Oline and the team.
Really? Why, cause a mock or 2 had him 1st round?

Per PFF, offensive tackles with at least 150 run block snaps, Zion ranked 161st in the nation. Don’t believe PFF? Fine, just open your eyes.

Zion is good at using his athleticism and feet to stay in front of edge guys to protect the QB. I have no qualms with him as a pass blocker. As a rush blocker, he is below average in the P5.

We had 1 running play… naw but foreal the offensive running game was so simplistic under lashlee. I’ll wait to see it improve and then see if the rbs numbers improve

Advertisement
Lol the Rooster slander is ridiculous.. He was playing behind a HS OL and a horrendous running game from a playcalling standpoint.. dude is tough as **** to only be 205. He has stuff to improve on ( contact balance, fumbling, etc) but you have to have 10-15 touches for him per game both running and passing. The RB Depth Chart is probably the least predictable on the team. They didn’t bring Parrish here to sit on the bench, Rooster has to get touches, Don when healthy is super talented and Citizen has the most upside of any back and hasn’t played yet. Throw in Franklin and that’s a lot of Backs who are going to want touches

Chaney has so much potential it's ridiculous. People are rightfully frustrated based on his college performance due to injuries so far. But he's ELITE if healthy. I don't quite get why he's struggling with the blocking, maybe fear of injury when not running downhill? I also saw a few drops in the limited times he showed up in Spring practice highlight drills, so he looks rusty.

I just hope Chaney is 100% back and can put it all together by end of August. If not, I want him to medically redshirt and rely on the other three backs. We do not want to rush him back like Manny did to King and so many other kids last year.
My concern with that approach(while I agree with everything you said other than fear towards pass protection,usually it's angles or a slow read)is if we do have to redshirt him I'd imagine he probably transfers. Some people are just naturally injury prone. I'd hope that's not him. So much of don reminds me of frank. I'd love to see him start showing that as the kid works far too hard for him to be labeled as he is. He's a great kid and I'd love for him to stay and show out.

Advertisement
You don't have to be great to win the starting role in this room - that's kind of the point of the thread. It's a very winnable depth chart.

Chaney & Knighton never beat out or outperformed Cam Harris. Thad barely got carries even when Chaney & Cam were hurt.

Parrish has been the most productive of the RB's, but still doesn't have great production, and is a high floor/low-ceiling type.

Citizen doesn't have to be anywhere close to a Generational talent. He can just be a Cam Harris or a little better talent and end up RB1. Asking him to be Cam isn't putting too much pressure on him IMO.
I can't put much into who beat out who last year based on who was calling the shots Coaching... Bad Coaching decisions don't determine who and what that player really is... Yes it affects the player and team for the moment but it doesn't define the player.... With the new staff we should see better decisions across the board resulting in a fairer look at what our players can do....

Yes, credit to you on that thread.

Also, just casually watching the highlights and they only run inside zone once in the first 9 or 10 plays. ThEy OnLy hAd OnE rUnNiNg pLaY!

We ran it too much.

We struggled both with push and assignments on iz. The gap blocking often got yardage when the iz was getting stuffed.

Lol the Rooster slander is ridiculous.. He was playing behind a HS OL and a horrendous running game from a playcalling standpoint.. dude is tough as **** to only be 205. He has stuff to improve on ( contact balance, fumbling, etc) but you have to have 10-15 touches for him per game both running and passing. The RB Depth Chart is probably the least predictable on the team. They didn’t bring Parrish here to sit on the bench, Rooster has to get touches, Don when healthy is super talented and Citizen has the most upside of any back and hasn’t played yet. Throw in Franklin and that’s a lot of Backs who are going to want touches
Touches will be earned. Competition will be fierce. Ultimately, the players will decide on the field. Availability is the best ability.

Advertisement
Back