This is why Butch Barry is the most important position coach

When we were 10-0 in 2017, everyone was saying we had "the best OL in the ACC". The OL looked a lot better when Rosier was making plays.

I'm not defending Searles - I just think the play of the skill position players move the needle on how people feel about the OL more than the coaching does.

Who was saying that? Another strawman

Advertisement
Clemson's OL was the unsung MVP of the title game. They controlled Alabama's front. Miami's OL, by contrast, struggled to move Savannah St.

I took the starting lineup from the title game and the Pinstripe Bowl. Here's how it shakes out, via the 247 Composite rating:

Mitch Hyatt- 98.97
John Simpson- 93.32
Justin Falcinelli- 86.56
Gage Cervenka- 84.95
Tremayne Anchrum- 87.06

Average- 90.172

Tyree St. Louis- 90.01
Venzell Boulware- 88.72
Hayden Mahoney- 84.93
Navaughn Donaldson- 96.55
Delone Scaife- 93.78

Average- 90.798

We need to recruit better on OL, especially after last year. But it is much more important that we coach up the talented players we already have.

Hal Mumme used to say "your potential is going to get me fired" fo a reason. If potential never becomes reality, you're ****-canned. It's the staff's job to develop those players in the weight room and on the practice field. However, maybe Miami is/was good at recruiting talented OL but just as bad at recruiting OL with grit?

I don’t get that statement, searels recruiting wasn’t that bad outside of the 2019 class where recruiting fell apart and even if so maybe he delivered a gem in Zion Nelson. I really Liked the 2018 class and the 2017 class was solid imo

I think it’s b/c of the development of the players, plan C kids for missing out on Plan A and the shear miss of Neal last cycle.

I think it’s b/c of the development of the players, plan C kids for missing out on Plan A and the shear miss of Neal last cycle.
Evan Neal the Alabama Fr?

That's not a miss. You're kidding yourself if you think we can compete with Alabama at the moment. They pretty much get who they want for a reason.

Advertisement
Oline wasn’t that terrible imo, Richts decisions and playcalling didn’t aid them whatsoever though
We would all call the next play in the gameday threads before they happened and we're fans and not coaches (at least mostly). The other teams literally knew the plays 80% of the time. Even Bama would look way worse playing under those circumstances. Richt was probably the worst offensive coordinator in the country last year.

We would all call the next play in the gameday threads before they happened and we're fans and not coaches (at least mostly). The other teams literally knew the plays 80% of the time. Even Bama would look way worse playing under those circumstances. Richt was probably the worst offensive coordinator in the country last year.
And that’s no exaggeration, just the reality of the situation. Most outdated and archaic offense in the country in 2018. And I like Richt but this is facts

Absolutely nobody was saying that

People were saying it - but I understand if you don't remember it.

The perception & reality of our OL often doesn't match up. The perception is the OL talent and coaching has always been terrible the last 15 years. Here's some examples to show that's just not true.

1) HurricaneVision does awesome breakdowns after our games. Here's what he said after the ND game in 2017

https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/film-review-of-nd-game.126542/

On offense, look at the improvements the OL has made. McDermott has been a revelation at LT. They saved that man’s career by moving him back outside. They’ve developed depth enough to handle different situations, but we are still very thin on the OL. We’ve gotten away with redshirting our true freshmen T’s, but it’s been great to see how the coaching staff has had this group showing improvement as the season went on. This is not hyperbole to say that Miami’s OL outperformed ND’s OL on the biggest stage. No contest.

That's how the majority of the fanbase felt at the time

2) Halfway through the 2018 season, PFF's ACC OL rankings had Clemson #2 and Miami #3

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/college-offensive-line-ranks-acc-week-8

3) 2009 - Jeff Stoutland was our OL coach. He's since gone on to win 2 NC's at Alabama and a Super Bowl at Philly as the OL coach.
We had 3 NFL OL starting on that team - Orlando Franklin (2nd Round), Jason Fox (4th Round), Brandon Washington (6th Round).

Our OL coaching and talent was really good in 2009. How much better coaching & talent do you want than that?

But I totally understand if I said - "Miami's OL was just as good as Clemson the first half of 2018, and OL was a strength of the team in 2017 & 2009" - the reaction would be that's ridiculous with no truth to it.

Last edited:
Clemson's OL was the unsung MVP of the title game. They controlled Alabama's front. Miami's OL, by contrast, struggled to move Savannah St.

I took the starting lineup from the title game and the Pinstripe Bowl. Here's how it shakes out, via the 247 Composite rating:

Mitch Hyatt- 98.97
John Simpson- 93.32
Justin Falcinelli- 86.56
Gage Cervenka- 84.95
Tremayne Anchrum- 87.06

Average- 90.172

Tyree St. Louis- 90.01
Venzell Boulware- 88.72
Hayden Mahoney- 84.93
Navaughn Donaldson- 96.55
Delone Scaife- 93.78

Average- 90.798

We need to recruit better on OL, especially after last year. But it is much more important that we coach up the talented players we already have.
Doesn’t matter who our coach is until we get some actual good OL

Advertisement
@DMoney is dead on. Barry's hire and development of OL is going to be key. Lack of development there and the lack of coaching up has been a big part of our problem. I bring nothing to the site but the obvious
Not to mention QB situation last year...total disaster. Chicken & egg scenario.

Advertisement
McKinnie has been working with Zion, Scaife & John Campbell.

I assume Herbert as well but the lineman that were specifically mentioned to me was the 3 listed above.

And given that he's bringing 2 other former Canes with him they'll all be working with the rest of the guys too.

Advertisement
McKinnie has been working with Zion, Scaife & John Campbell.

I assume Herbert as well but the lineman that were specifically mentioned to me was the 3 listed above.

And given that he's bringing 2 other former Canes with him they'll all be working with the rest of the guys too.

Not that it’s gonna help him any but George Brown has been one of them as well

Advertisement
Back