This is why Butch Barry is the most important position coach

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Clemson's OL was the unsung MVP of the title game. They controlled Alabama's front. Miami's OL, by contrast, struggled to move Savannah St.

I took the starting lineup from the title game and the Pinstripe Bowl. Here's how it shakes out, via the 247 Composite rating:

Mitch Hyatt- 98.97
John Simpson- 93.32
Justin Falcinelli- 86.56
Gage Cervenka- 84.95
Tremayne Anchrum- 87.06

Average- 90.172

Tyree St. Louis- 90.01
Venzell Boulware- 88.72
Hayden Mahoney- 84.93
Navaughn Donaldson- 96.55
Delone Scaife- 93.78

Average- 90.798

We need to recruit better on OL, especially after last year. But it is much more important that we coach up the talented players we already have.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Improved coaching will go a long ways. I swear it’s like the OL the last three years just didn’t know the basics.

I felt like the knew the basics.. I mean scaife looked decent

I just dont think Searles knew who his best 5 were! I mean I've NEVER seen a coach switch out lineups in the same game, half, or even quarter like we did! It was like a RB by committee approach with everyone getting their own series or ND or Scaife switching from tackle to guard in the same quarter. I mean that kills continuity on a unit that is absolutely important!

Having some continuity would have helped the QBs so they could always know "hey stuff is breaking down I can step up to my right my boy ND has got it... etc"

Clemson's OL was the unsung MVP of the title game. They controlled Alabama's front. Miami's OL, by contrast, struggled to move Savannah St.

I took the starting lineup from the title game and the Pinstripe Bowl. Here's how it shakes out, via the 247 Composite rating:

Mitch Hyatt- 98.97
John Simpson- 93.32
Justin Falcinelli- 86.56
Gage Cervenka- 84.95
Tremayne Anchrum- 87.06

Average- 90.172

Tyree St. Louis- 90.01
Venzell Boulware- 88.72
Hayden Mahoney- 84.93
Navaughn Donaldson- 96.55
Delone Scaife- 93.78

Average- 90.798

We need to recruit better on OL, especially after last year. But it is much more important that we coach up the talented players we already have.
No doubt. But evaluations matter a lot, especially at OL. We have done that poorly, and Clemson has done it exceptionally well.

Advertisement
No doubt. But evaluations matter a lot, especially at OL. We have done that poorly, and Clemson has done it exceptionally well.

We have five OL in the NFL. All five started at least one game.

Clemson only has one OL who even played in the NFL last year. And that guy only played because the starter (Brandon Linder, the highest paid C of all-time) got hurt.

To be clear, I expect this to change. Clemson is going to start bringing in monsters on the OL. But they got to the peak of the mountain with worse OL talent than we've had for much of the past decade.

Part of this is scheme as well. We didn't use deception. We didn't help our QBs identify coverages by using motion. We ran predictable plays in predictable down and distances. I'm not saying our OL was anywhere near perfect, but it's hard to win battles when the other team has a headstart and they're either as good or better than your guys.

Advertisement
We will get better o-line play because they will be in better shape, and more physically mature. The other thing is, i think this coaching staff will make it a point to try and coach around certain offensive defects, where as coach richt like butch davis, their approach was to just keep hammering until you get it to look like its suppose to look. The one thing i do like about what coach enos said was coming out in the same personnel groupings and formations so a defense doesnt necessarily know what's coming be it run or pass. I was hoping we got back to having qb's under center again, all these shotgun offenses have always been irritating to me, i was glad to hear coach enos say we getting back to that. Im a power-I guy myself, when you got a good running game going, that's when play-action becomes a thing of beauty again, plus when defenses dont know if its run or pass based on the formations and qb under center carrying out run fakes and what, gives t h e o-line an advantage from a schematic stand point.

We need to get back to being a power running football team, no more of those finess amp lee type running formations. That's part of the reason why we couldnt stop power running teams cause we dont and didnt see enuff of it in practice!

Part of this is scheme as well. We didn't use deception. We didn't help our QBs identify coverages by using motion. We ran predictable plays in predictable down and distances. I'm not saying our OL was anywhere near perfect, but it's hard to win battles when the other team has a headstart and they're either as good or better than your guys.
This.

Scheme to fit your personnel. People wonder why our WRs can’t get open and our QBs can’t complete a 5 yard pass? It’s definitely not just talent.

But good **** @DMoney

Advertisement
facts

Exactly

Advertisement
Back