This is the battle I'm most worried about...

Hurricane23

Sophomore
Premium
TBH I could care less who wins the QB battle, all 3 of them are improved, I am more worried about the secondary. We lost 3 starters in a Secondary that was #1 in the country against the pass, we kind of have Bandy then everyone else, they are talented but young, which will cause communication issues. This is very important and something to keep an eye on, I dont remember us getting beat deep in the pass game last season, and our first OP has weapons out there, at least one of the freshman corners will have to play early, then we have 2 unproven sophomores, add that with 2 brand new safeties and yeah I'm worried.

Advertisement
I hear what you’re saying and I agree, but I will say this... last year guys were really great for Miami, but I believe these young safeties are much more athletic and skilled then those guys. They just have to be just as smart as Quan and Redwine and that comes with in game experience. I don’t expect us to have no sort of drop off but by the near end of the season... I think we’ll be in really good shape, and by next year... I believe they’ll surpass Quan and Redwine.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Great pass rush always makes a green set of DBs job that much easier. We get to the QB we won't have to worry about the guys in the back.

If you’re going to be worried about the secondary, worry about the tackling, not coverage. Sure, there may be some communication issues early on with coverages, but Manny’s defense HAS to have sure tacklers on the back end.

2016 — Jamal Carter led the team in tackles, Rayshawn Jenkins 3rd

2017 — Quan Johnson led the team in tackles (11 more solo than anyone on the team), Redwine 4th

2018 — Quan Johnson led the team in tackles, Redwine 4th

This is by design. And it’s also a testament to how good Quan was. This defense puts the safeties in position to make tackles. And #4 very rarely missed.

This has been my concern and my reasoning for saying the defense may take a slight step back this year. People just don’t realize what Quan cleaned up the last 2 years. Manny’s defense is vertical. Everyone presses up the field. Everyone plays fast and downhill. So, there are a LOT of times that backs get through to the 2nd and 3rd level. Almost every time, 4 or 23 were there to make stops the last 2 years. 6 or 8 yard gains were not 40 or 50 yard gains. Can whoever starts at Safety replicate that? That’s what I’ll have my eyes on. If whoever wins those spots can tackle like the last 2 kids we had, we’ll be fine. But they can’t miss.

Advertisement
“Worried” sounds so incredibly soft and feeble. But I would expect the defense to struggle at times given all the experience we lost.

And Jaquan was somewhat limited athletically, but he was the coach out there. Whenever he came out of a game there was a very noticeable and immediate drop off in our pass defense.

I think Gurv will eventually be one of the best Safeties we’ve had here, but I expect some growing pains.

Probably the most athletic secondary we've had in a while. Jaquan's leadership and smarts will be tough to replace but I've seen this staff replace an entire secondary already and they got better. We won't be relying on an unknown transfer for the first time in a while too.

Edit: I forgot about Bolden

Now we have fans thinking the most important position on the field (QB) isn't the position that has the most questions or concerns. Some of the posters on here...I just can't.

Advertisement
Now we have fans thinking the most important position on the field (QB) isn't the position that has the most questions or concerns. Some of the posters on here...I just can't.

Of all the nonsense and buffoonery on this site, this is the hill you’re gonna die on??

A sensible dialogue about concerns over replacing the leader of the football team and one of the
most cerebral/productive players who has ever played here? You do you, friend.

“Worried” sounds so incredibly soft and feeble. But I would expect the defense to struggle at times given all the experience we lost.

And Jaquan was somewhat limited athletically, but he was the coach out there. Whenever he came out of a game there was a very noticeable and immediate drop off in our pass defense.

I think Gurv will eventually be one of the best Safeties we’ve had here, but I expect some growing pains.
If Shaq or Pink can step up as seniors and help take some of that coaching pressure off the safties that would be the best scenario. but as stated earlier we need sure tackling from the safety position in this defense

Advertisement
Back