This is not Manny’s D

Advertisement
Diaz defense was gimmicky , but this defense doesn’t look anywhere near like manny’s in terms of style of play the previous 2 years

exactly, we're not attacking and guys are confused on defense

that confusion part says everything

insert one of mcintosh/norton/willis into the current lineup and it's a different discussion. diaz's (or baker's) defense needs a penetrating dline. don't have that this year. not even close. which is exposing quarterman for what he is. nice guy, jag. maybe when nesta comes back he can be that guy but i doubt it. throw in complete **** play at safety and you get what miami has. outside of bandy, bad bite on the td, i don't see any play makers on d this year so far.

Too bad Manny can't recruit.

Advertisement
I told people Willis made the dL last year , he got instant penetration. He was unblock-able.

Ford and bethel are not Miami starting dt’s.
Yes they are. But what they are not are the dominating, unblockable types UM's always had (when we were good). They're more like the dependable sidekicks.

The Manny Diaz defense. Feast on lesser competition and then have (insert Wisconsin’s QB here) pass for 500 yards on your vaunted defense in the bowl game.

Yes they are. But what they are not are the dominating, unblockable types UM's always had (when we were good). They're more like the dependable sidekicks.

That’s not a starter at um.

McIntosh and Norton are far better.

There’s a big drop off, they’re solid Miami rotation guys , that aren’t good pass rushers. Which in this scheme is huge. Quickness and twitch is huge for this scheme, which both lack.

Last year was Manny's beat defense of his career because he stopped with the crazy useless blitzes. He stopped sending DBs from 20+ yards away. Now we are back to doing that. We send the CB blitz from the short side of the field every single time and teams know it and they throw for an easy first down every single time. We also never had DL in coverage under Manny. That's 100% Baker.

Advertisement
Manny’s D isn’t perfect, but he is quite clearly head and shoulders above Baker.

I would expect Manny to basically take over the D as the year goes on.

DL is also not coached up to the 16-18 standard.

That’s not a starter at um.

McIntosh and Norton are far better.

There’s a big drop off, they’re solid Miami rotation guys , that aren’t good pass rushers. Which in this scheme is huge. Quickness and twitch is huge for this scheme, which both lack.
With the exception of Russell Maryland and Cortez Kennedy, we've never had two dominate tackles on the field at the same time. Who started next to Jerome Brown, next to Sapp, next to Wilfork? No question, McIntosh is better at penetrating and disrupting. Willis filled that role last year but who do we have today. We're trying to make these guys to be something that they're not.

With the exception of Russell Maryland and Cortez Kennedy, we've never had two dominate tackles on the field at the same time. Who started next to Jerome Brown, next to Sapp, next to Wilfork? No question, McIntosh is better at penetrating and disrupting. Willis filled that role last year but who do we have today. We're trying to make these guys to be something that they're not.

Agree.

In this scheme you don’t need to dominate , you need to be quick and shoot gaps. That’s why guys stats in this scheme are inflated. But if you aren’t quick or twitchy you’re not shooting gaps clean on a regular bases. Which makes this type of defense useless.

We live on causing chaos and tfl, if that’s not happening it’s bad business.

Luckily we have a stable on young guys perfect for this , I might start playing them sooner than later. Rather than beating our heads into the wall.

Baker just had a child. I suspect he wasn't as focused this week

Advertisement
The Defense was great under Manny last year. It was Top 5 in many categories. Today it was a major factor in us losing the game. They stiffened after the first quarter but had some lapses thereafter and didn't come through in the crunch.

Our DL should be wreaking havoc on opposing QBs (Garvin, Rousseau, & Hill are all great pass rushers). I didn't like the game plan against UF (it totally missed the mark as Franks is known to have terrible stats when under duress). He would have folded if we had pounded him. Our DL should be intimidating opposing QBs. They look way too comfortable back there.
We don't have anyone who can pressure the qb on the interior of our DLine.

You don’t like seeing our best pass rusher cover a wide out? Shades of AQM in a Dorito defense

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back