This is not Manny’s D

Agreed. Many is picking his nose now at defensive meetings having no influence on the gameplay

Advertisement
The Defense was great under Manny last year. It was Top 5 in many categories. Today it was a major factor in us losing the game. They stiffened after the first quarter but had some lapses thereafter and didn't come through in the crunch.

Our DL should be wreaking havoc on opposing QBs (Garvin, Rousseau, & Hill are all great pass rushers). I didn't like the game plan against UF (it totally missed the mark as Franks is known to have terrible stats when under duress). He would have folded if we had pounded him. Our DL should be intimidating opposing QBs. They look way too comfortable back there.

It's Diaz's formula, if not Diaz himself calling the plays.

The only real thing I don't like about Diaz's defence is the blitzes from Siberia. That and we try to get too cute at times - some of the stuff they've done with Garvin, the play call on 4th and 17. You're good enough to play straight up and stop them in that situation, no need for a stunt and a blitz.
Good insight. Calls like that are G5 stuff.

Our senior LB's get worse every year. Never seen a more overrated group of Canes in my life.

Shaq is mediocre.
Pickney runs like he has bricks in his shoes.
Zach McCloud is as relevant as Zach Dykstra.

Mccloud doesn't even start. Finley is our best lb. He is 210 lbs..And a converted safety.

Advertisement
insert one of mcintosh/norton/willis into the current lineup and it's a different discussion. diaz's (or baker's) defense needs a penetrating dline. don't have that this year. not even close. which is exposing quarterman for what he is. nice guy, jag. maybe when nesta comes back he can be that guy but i doubt it. throw in complete **** play at safety and you get what miami has. outside of bandy, bad bite on the td, i don't see any play makers on d this year so far.

Mccloud doesn't even start. Finley is our best lb. He is 210 lbs..And a converted safety.
And Finley is just ok as well. There's nothing even remotely special about this group. Age doesn't make you good. They are average at best, and there's zero depth behind them.

Advertisement
Didn't we lose a lot of our best DBs during the game? Bandy, Carter, Blades, maybe Finley at some point (he covers a lot do count him as a hybrid but also in secondary).

It seems we were without a lot of our best in secondary as game went on. I think that made a difference. We're still young without a lot of depth.

Mannys D was never that good tho. Inflated numbers against bad ACC and FCS teams. Never once thought of his defense as dominant.

I will say tho that the lb play has fallen way tf off. Jesus.
I always saw his D has dominant against overmatched teams and gave you a chance against the better ones with all the negative plays it causes.

He just never had the offence to truly take advantage of it.

Advertisement
Same D. Play calling matters. Timing matters. When a play is called matters. Tendencies matter. What is called matters.

I knew when Baker, talked about using the voided zone concepts over the summer he was going to **** some **** up. It’s the same crap Manny Diaz called during his first two years which often times got us torched. I mean, we made Clemson‘s transfer quarterback look like Peyton Manning when we faced them in the championship game. Same dumb zone concepts.

Manny Diaz got away from that, and the defense started to look much, much better. Diaz got much better as a PLAY CALLER even though the D still had holes.

Need to get back to our old ways. These play calls suck.
Our old ways? Sigh... the old days were the early 2000s and before. Manny’s defenses never were that great, they just grabbed great headlines with TFLs and TOs. Whenever we played anyone with equal talent or better we would get worked. ****, remember last year? There were multiple games that despite Richts **** offense we would have still possibly won but our defense fell apart in critical moments such as UVA and GT.

Advertisement
Turnovers, tackles for loss and sack stats will look completely inverted at years end compared to the last couple years. Something's off with this whole unit.

this is why i'm telling you guys it's NOT diaz in my opinion.

this is baker getting his *** handed to him by the unc offensive coordinator.

Jaquan Johnson
Sheldrick Redwine
Michael Jackson
Jhavonte Dean
Gerald Willis
Nesta Silvera
Joe Jackson
Demetrius Jackson

****ers were absent last night

Not to mention so were Bandy, Amari Carter and Ivey.

Manny’s Defense or Blake Baker defense..it’s a gimmick defense..not sound at all..just try this try that...personal is a big issue also..

Advertisement
Back