This is not a smart team

View as article
Advertisement
His philosophy on this is really concerning. There is coach speak, and then there are statements that give insight into what is going on.

His answer always revolves around “work hard” and supposedly he works a lot of hours. That is not really a great thing. Most effective people are trying to work smarter, not harder. Getting into the office an hour earlier isn’t changing the trajectory of this, and I’ve seen/heard nothing from him to indicate he has any plan beyond doing exactly that. Not good.
The work harder mantra reminds me of old high school coaches where a 150lb soaking wet kid is playing on the line and up against a 200+ defensive lineman and can't block him and the kid is like what am I supposed to do and all the coach does is yell "just block him" bc he doesnt know the answer and thinks if the kid just gives more effort then he can do it.

I've been saying this for years. Honestly if this team could, at the bare minimum, merely get out of its own way and stop making really stupid, unforced errors, that alone would be good for *at least* 2 more wins a year.

We really should start there. I don't know how to stop this, though - it's been a glaring issue since the mid Coker years. In particular, while I think the taunting penalties are ridiculous, our guys just have to face the fact that ACC refs are itching to throw those flags on Miami. The other teams know this and actively bait our guys. The way these games are called, there's no excuse for even saying one word to the opposing team. Dont engage, at all.

If this team could just play a cleaner game, it would rarely lose to teams like GT, Virginia, VT, etc. That would provide a good base from which to challenge the better teams.

Advertisement
Last week, we made international news for stupidity. This week, we followed it up by:

- Committing three unsportmanlike penalties, including one by an assistant coach.

- Calling a timeout, sending 12 men on the field, and giving up a touchdown.

- Giving up a TD on 3rd and 18, and then another on 3rd and 20.

Add in two fumbles plus a bad INT, and you have a soul-crushing beatdown on the road.

For some reason, when things go bad over the last few years, we lash out at our "good-but-not-great-enough" players. Guys like Quarterman and Kaaya are recent examples. Those guys were good players and got excessive backlash for not being great. We're seeing it now with Kam and TVD. Any team in America would take Kam. And while TVD isn't Drake Maye, he is one of the most efficient passers in the nation over his career.

The problem is much deeper. We beat ourselves more often than a 14-year-old with Cinemax. We do dumb things consistently, even in our best win against Texas A&M. It's too much to overcome when you don't have elite talent.

Our momentum is cooked. Clemson is a chance to turn things around, with two tomato cans looming after that. But Clemson won't beat themselves. That's why they win. I love recruiting. But if recruiting needs to make up for coaching, we're stuck in neutral. This team needs to start playing clean football. If they don't, this will be a very expensive version of the same season we've seen for two decades.
So we not byke
drunk-bike (1).gif

While TVD hasnt played clean the past two games, you are exaggerating his turnovers. One of the two fumbles was on Lee with a terrible snap way off to the side. The second INT yesterday was a desperation throw with no time left. Didnt matter if it was intercepted or incomplete
I get it. But the rules attribute TVD with those numbers, not me. But I absolutely understand your point.

No amount of talent and no amount of work will change things as long as this program has a football IQ of a 2 year old. Fix the idiocracy first then you fix alot of problems with this program. Once the idiocracy is fixed then the program can get back to work. Hard work with a football IQ of a 2 year old is wasted time and energy.

Advertisement
I would be fine with less south Florida players. Many have rocks in their heads.

People should probably listen to what the top coaches say. Urban Meyer said he didn't really care for most S Fl players because they are terribly coached in high school and have bad habits that take years to unlearn.

A lot of good players might still be left in S FL for Miami, but it is going to take some excellent position coaches to break the players of the bad habits. FWIW, Salavea and Addae are not excellent position coaches so I dont expect to see any improvement with their respective positions a[BGCOLOR=initial]s long as they are on staff.[/BGCOLOR]

D$ makes some good points but the criticism of TVD is also warranted, and I was one of his biggest supporters coming into this season. He constantly stares down his primary receiver, who is usually Restrepo. His INTs are becoming a huge problem. Defenses are just watching his eyes and know exactly where the ball is going. Every big 3rd and 4th down passing situation he locks on to Restrop from the snap.

I'm sorry. I cant blame this game totally on coaches. Playing the upperclassmen who continue to make mistakes is on them but alot of it is mental mistakes. Guidry had a good gameplan and Maye was rattled but JW and Kam make blunder after blunder. Our cb's are slow and they target Flagg in the run because hes a G5 player at best.
Flagg was the highest graded defensive player on PFF playing only 36 of approx. 80 snaps. He made two great plays to stop the bleeding a little more...

Grade (snaps)
Corey Flagg, 79.2 (36)

Davonte Brown, 73.0 (15)

Leonard Taylor III, 71.6 (36)

KJ Cloyd, 70.7 (30)

Te’Cory Couch, 70.5 (71)

Daryl Porter, Jr., 69.4 (80)

Thomas Gore, 69.0 (14)

Wesley Bissainthe, 65.1 (33)

James Williams, 64.5 (80)

Rueben Bain, Jr., 63.1 (72)

Francisco Mauigoa, 63.1 (68)

Jared Harrison-Hunte, 61.9 (54)

Ahmad Moten, 61.1 (12)

Chantz Williams, 60.4 (9)

Nyjalik Kelly, 59.8 (31)

Jacob Lichtenstein, 59.6 (3)

Kam Kinchens, 55.1 (80)

Branson Deen, 52.1 (39)

Jayden Wayne, 50.9 (16)

Jahfari Harvey, 50.7 (34)

Jaden Davis, 47.6 (65)

Keontra Smith, 34.9 (3)

Advertisement
"Fans" did the same with Kaaya. A good percentage of fans will still spit venom when they talk about him and say he sucked because he never beat FSU. Dude literally got his teeth knocked out in a game and still kept slinging it. But the narrative that gets pushed around here is he was "too aloof" and didn't make enough friends.
Well that’s TVD. Guy is out there like he’s on the back 9 going for a chip. No fire. No excitement. Even Emory seems to have emotional control over everyone. He is out there directing traffic. TVD does nothing. He looks the same after a pick as he does after a touchdown

This has Mario and his meddling in the offense written all over it
Frances had his freshman game yesterday. I also wonder if he is 100% after getting injured last week.

He graded out a 60.1 in run blocking and 73.5 in pass blocking. His overall grade was 67.6

Well that’s TVD. Guy is out there like he’s on the back 9 going for a chip. No fire. No excitement. Even Emory seems to have emotional control over everyone. He is out there directing traffic. TVD does nothing. He looks the same after a pick as he does after a touchdown
that's who he is. He's not going to change his personality because the fan base wants to see a rah rah guy.

Advertisement

I was watching Saving Private Ryan the other day. Maybe I missed the part where all the soldiers said Tom Hanks's character was a poor leader because he didn't wear his emotions on his sleeve.

Or to put a more sports related example - do you think John Rocker was a better closer than Mariano Rivera because he was louder and more emotional? Rivera had the same demeanor in the bottom of the 9th with bases loaded in game 7 of the World Series as he did when buying a carton of milk in the self checkout line at Walmart.

Team has some talent no doubt. OLine has been great. This all has to do with coaching. I never imagined saying this so early but, is it time to start questioning if Cristobal is the guy for the job? Between the GT blunder and yesterdays game against UNC with numerous penalties including another coaching mistake with Guidry getting a crucial flag, we have to look at the man at the top.

Last week, we made international news for stupidity. This week, we followed it up by:

- Committing three unsportmanlike penalties, including one by an assistant coach.

- Calling a timeout, sending 12 men on the field, and giving up a touchdown.

- Giving up a TD on 3rd and 18, and then another on 3rd and 20.

Add in two fumbles plus a bad INT, and you have a soul-crushing beatdown on the road.

For some reason, when things go bad over the last few years, we lash out at our "good-but-not-great-enough" players. Guys like Quarterman and Kaaya are recent examples. Those guys were good players and got excessive backlash for not being great. We're seeing it now with Kam and TVD. Any team in America would take Kam. And while TVD isn't Drake Maye, he is one of the most efficient passers in the nation over his career.

The problem is much deeper. We beat ourselves more often than a 14-year-old with Cinemax. We do dumb things consistently, even in our best win against Texas A&M. It's too much to overcome when you don't have elite talent.

Our momentum is cooked. Clemson is a chance to turn things around, with two tomato cans looming after that. But Clemson won't beat themselves. That's why they win. I love recruiting. But if recruiting needs to make up for coaching, we're stuck in neutral. This team needs to start playing clean football. If they don't, this will be a very expensive version of the same season we've seen for two decades.
lolol been the story of the program for the past 20 years can’t believe the title of this post!!!

Advertisement
Back