This Buckeye's thoughts on Josh Gattis

Advertisement
Gattis did a MASTERFUL job coordinating a dynamic run game against my Buckeyes in last year's game and that was the primary reason that Michigan won (finally) that game. Time and again Gattis dialed up a running play to keep their offense on the field and the clock ticking. I have no idea how your passing game will be but you can be confident that you're running attack will be very good! Good luck this year. You guys should be fun to watch again now that Manuella and his pretty hair are elsewhere.
Unfortunately...

Michigan OL > Miami OL

Cristobal needs time.

Gattis did a MASTERFUL job coordinating a dynamic run game against my Buckeyes in last year's game and that was the primary reason that Michigan won (finally) that game. Time and again Gattis dialed up a running play to keep their offense on the field and the clock ticking. I have no idea how your passing game will be but you can be confident that you're running attack will be very good! Good luck this year. You guys should be fun to watch again now that Manuella and his pretty hair are elsewhere.
Congrats on getting to prison love Pedo State's D for the next 2-3 years.

You are welcome.

Can't wait to see Gattis out scheme opposing defenses all season. This guy is smart! I know many of you want too see us to pass the ball 50 times, but we won't win **** trying that with no running game. Just look at the past how many ever champions. Yes they had a passing game, but they had a top tier running attack as well or were LED by their running game.
You all know Mario is a run first guy, and you pair him with Gattis and an improved oline, and we may lead the conference in running yards.

I'm fine with a close to 50/50 pass run split or 55/45 pass run because at the end of the day we still have TVD!!! Just glad we won't look like the Bad News Bears out there trying to run anymore.

As I’m sure you’re acutely aware, most Canes have little love for the Buckeyes. LOL. That being said, I appreciate your respectful, insightful post about our new OC. We may not play your Buckeyes any time soon, but it would be great fun to have a rematch.

Advertisement
The only discussion Buckeyes should have - is how to pack our National Championship Trophy up that's in THEIR trophy case - so it doesn't get damaged when they send it to UM.

OSU. Notre ****. They don't just suck sphincter with enthusiasms enough to create a serious vacuum - they'll suck out your tonsils and cave in the top of your head quickly.

Im a little concerned with the pass game/route concepts but the run game should be elite from a design standpoint.

Gattis by himself puts us in rarified air but then you throw in the Satterfield outside zone stuff that Ponce brings and Oregon/Alabama run blocking schemes from Mirabal and Mario.... On paper there is not a better run game coaching staff in college football.

Advertisement
I agree wholeheartedly with the OP's analysis. I watched that game and OSU could not figure out how to stop the Michigan running game. Much of that success was predicated on Michigan using 2 TE's. But the interesting part to watch was that whenever OSU tried to load up against the run, Gattis had the perfect pass play dialed up. Once Gattis found an advantage, he was able to control the game and keep OSU's defense off balance all game.

The question for us will be whether UM has an advantage in either the passing or running game that allows Gattis to dictate the game. I would argue going in that we have a passing game advantage over most defenses on our schedule that is similar to the running game advantage Michigan had, which will allow Gattis to dissect whatever a defense tries to do.

I'd say having TVD gives us a passing advantage in just about every game. Having several quality TEs may give us that advantage running when needed. Here's to hoping Gattis really does call to a teams strengths. 🍻

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP's analysis. I watched that game and OSU could not figure out how to stop the Michigan running game. Much of that success was predicated on Michigan using 2 TE's. But the interesting part to watch was that whenever OSU tried to load up against the run, Gattis had the perfect pass play dialed up. Once Gattis found an advantage, he was able to control the game and keep OSU's defense off balance all game.

The question for us will be whether UM has an advantage in either the passing or running game that allows Gattis to dictate the game. I would argue going in that we have a passing game advantage over most defenses on our schedule that is similar to the running game advantage Michigan had, which will allow Gattis to dissect whatever a defense tries to do.
The fact that the Ohio State/Michigan game was played in a snow storm helped. Michigan's power running game was built for those conditions.

The only discussion Buckeyes should have - is how to pack our National Championship Trophy up that's in THEIR trophy case - so it doesn't get damaged when they send it to UM.

OSU. Notre ****. They don't just suck sphincter with enthusiasms enough to create a serious vacuum - they'll suck out your tonsils and cave in the top of your head quickly.
Totally agree.......my system goes on alert when a Buckeye comes on a Cane board talking about our Cane's game when I feel extreme agita from the stolen game while our Cane trophy sits at their house.......still get's me, and I refuse to let go.....

Why is a Buckeye coming on here and congratulating us for having the OC who BEAT them last year, and wishing us luck this year?.....hmmmmmm.

I sure as **** would not be on an OSU site wishing them luck.......**** no way.......so my suspicions are there.......oh yea.....send us the trophy that you all stole now.

The fact that the Ohio State/Michigan game was played in a snow storm helped. Michigan's power running game was built for those conditions.
Agreed but Michigan had a pretty balanced attack all year. There are lots of factors and the OC is just one, albeit an important factor. But I am happy that we have an OC who took advantage of his team's strengths. Now we have to hope he can do the same at Miami and that he didn't just get lucky that Michigan's strength matched his strength as a play caller in the running game.

Advertisement
Totally agree.......my system goes on alert when a Buckeye comes on a Cane board talking about our Cane's game when I feel extreme agita from the stolen game while our Cane trophy sits at their house.......still get's me, and I refuse to let go.....

Why is a Buckeye coming on here and congratulating us for having the OC who BEAT them last year, and wishing us luck this year?.....hmmmmmm.

I sure as **** would not be on an OSU site wishing them luck.......**** no way.......so my suspicions are there.......oh yea.....send us the trophy that you all stole now.
Careful friend, it almost sounds like you're not being respectful of the OPs opinion and the immense value that his post brought to the forum. Having a buckeye fan draw a tangent between the 2021 Michigan run game versus Ohio State (I was at the game) to the 2022 Miami run game simply because Gattis is now our OC, is "next-level" analysis. We need to be careful not to create an echo chamber here so posts like his will continue to be made, lol.

In all seriousness, thank god one of Gattis' strengths is adapting his offense to the personnel he has in his ****nal, because if he tries to emulate what he did with Michigan's OL in the run game with Miami's 2022 OL, then our run game is in deep ****. Michigan OL = FAR SUPERIOR to Miami OL. I'm confident we get there with our coaches, but it's currently not our strength. Gattis will have to significantly adapt his schemes if we are going to have a successful run game.

Unfortunately...

Michigan OL > Miami OL

Cristobal needs time.
Exactly! It took four pages, but finally somebody understands how ridiculous the OPs post was. Michigan ‘21 running game has zero in common with Miami ‘22 run game. Apples to oranges. Looking forward to seeing Gattis adapt to our OL and it’s capabilities.

U wouldn't U ...............you got it.... I agree
Here is a Buckeye with concern for our running game, when we have NO idea of what the Cane game will be for 22.. or what Gattis will do with our talent pool.
The Michigan team could be night to day in comparo to our current Canes .
It all depends on talent and the game plan.....must have been more to bring a Buckeye on here...reality...
After that steal of our 'Ship I do NOT trust any Buckeyes.....period.

Advertisement
Gattis had a ratio of 50/50 run to pass last year at Michigan. But Michigan had most likely a better oline than we will have this coming year. My concern is we have TVD a potential Hiesman candidate and a guy who can get the ball down the field. I am old school but realize the ever changing nature of offenses having to pass more in both College and especially the NFL. Mario said he would not change what was working last year I hope he remembers that.

Gattis had a ratio of 50/50 run to pass last year at Michigan. But Michigan had most likely a better oline than we will have this coming year. My concern is we have TVD a potential Hiesman candidate and a guy who can get the ball down the field. I am old school but realize the ever changing nature of offenses having to pass more in both College and especially the NFL. Mario said he would not change what was working last year I hope he remembers that.
I feel confident Miami OL will be improved.

Mich averaged about 445yds of offense per game and 35pts/gm. Their avg snap count was 69/gm, so a little slower pace than under Lashlee. Mich was great tho with the number of plays over 20yds.

I’m guessing we avg 35 to 37 pts/GM and about 440 to 470 yds/gm. I’d be surprised if we weren’t close to 200 rushing yds a game

Advertisement
Back