This article should be posted everywhere

MizCane

Senior
To get the admin's heads out of the sand. Building a campus stadium close to or on campus would do this program/school wonders:
Stanford built a beautiful 90M stadium with a capacity of 50k in 10 months - yes 10 months.

This article is incredible and all the UM people need to read and see how its done!!

Stanford: https://alumni.stanford.edu/get/page...ticle_id=33324

Advertisement
To get the admin's heads out of the sand. Building a campus stadium close to or on campus would do this program/school wonders:
Stanford built a beautiful 90M stadium with a capacity of 50k in 10 months - yes 10 months.

This article is incredible and all the UM people need to read and see how its done!!

That link leads to a Page Not Found.

Cant read the story but, as a Bay Area resident, I can tell you that building a new stadium at the site of a withering older one is a much different problem then that faced by UM. It is remarkable how fast they built the new one and it speaks to the $$ within Stanford's alumni base.

UM probably might have that cash at its disposal, should they see it as a priority, but as has been described in countless other threads I don't see the city fathers of Coral Gables signing on any time soon.

NIMBY

Cant read the story but, as a Bay Area resident, I can tell you that building a new stadium at the site of a withering older one is a much different problem then that faced by UM. It is remarkable how fast they built the new one and it speaks to the $$ within Stanford's alumni base.

UM probably might have that cash at its disposal, should they see it as a priority, but as has been described in countless other threads I don't see the city fathers of Coral Gables signing on any time soon.

NIMBY

along with the fact that they call Stanford the farm for a reason. their campus is huge

Advertisement
Can't read the article either. Did the entire process only take 10 months or was that just the construction? I've worked on a minor league baseball stadium and the design process alone took over a year. For a 40-50k person stadium, I can't imagine the entire design/build process taking any less than 2 or 3 years. I absolutely think it's worth building a stadium close to campus (if it's even possible in Coral Gables), but you shouldn't think that it's something we could bang out in a year's time.

THE CITY OF CORAL GABLES WILL NEVER, REPEAT NEVER, REPEAT NEVER (AD INFINITUM) ALLOW AN ON-CAMPUS STADIUM WITH TONS OF TRAFFIC AND PARKING ISSUES.

Lets do this thread again for the 20,000th time cause its gonna matter this time.

Advertisement
Advertisement
THE CITY OF CORAL GABLES WILL NEVER, REPEAT NEVER, REPEAT NEVER (AD INFINITUM) ALLOW AN ON-CAMPUS STADIUM WITH TONS OF TRAFFIC AND PARKING ISSUES.

It is not necessarily about having an on-campus stadium. It is about having a stadium that accommodates the needs of the University of Miami fanbase. UM is a very small school, all things considered. We only draw about 6-8k students and thats only for the big games, too. Most of our fans live 30 to 45 minutes from Miami Gardens. So if it closer than SLS, more people will show up and the environment would be remarkable because there won't be an empty seat in the stadium.

Advertisement
I grew up in the South Miami projects. Condemn part or all or that sh*t hole and build a stadium and parking.

It is not necessarily about having an on-campus stadium. It is about having a stadium that accommodates the needs of the University of Miami fanbase. UM is a very small school, all things considered. We only draw about 6-8k students and thats only for the big games, too. Most of our fans live 30 to 45 minutes from Miami Gardens. So if it closer than SLS, more people will show up and the environment would be remarkable because there won't be an empty seat in the stadium.

i remember a lot of empty seats in the oB too when it wasn't a big game

i remember a lot of empty seats in the oB too when it wasn't a big game

OB's size was comparable to Sun Life right now. If I remember correctly it was 70k+ at max capacity. Thats still far too much. We need somewhere between 40-50k to get a good college environment.

Advertisement
Back