They hear the noise

They won't fire Diaz even if we lose the rest of the games this year due solely to the fact that it would be a bad look from a public relations perspective (of course, so is losing). The only way I see that happening is if Blake James is let go and the new AD decides to bring in his own guy; that's the only way to make this change without the entire University looking incompetent. To me that's what stings the most is that there is no short-term fix, another year down the tubes......

Advertisement
I guess where I am going with this is what legitimate AD would even want to come here if we did fire BJ

The better question is, would Epstein and his cronies even know what a legitimate AD looks like.
Answer that honestly and be scared for the future.
Fire Blake James? Fine.
Now who hires Blake's replacement? The same guy who was instrumental in hiring Blake (Epstein).

Hold up....

DON'T blame Epstein because he was in Europe? That's like saying "don't blame the bus driver for the crash, he was asleep!"

So he was on vacation during this program's greatest hour of need. Nice. And of course we all know they don't have phones in Europe. His hands was tied. :rolleyes:

his hands were tied, because Blake made an autonomous decision. He was in Europe and richt retired abruptly, therefore leaving Blake in a panic and acting alone. This is where we are. The bot has stepped up a ton in the last 4 years with $$&. The ad is a putz, blame him

giphy.gif

Advertisement
The only chance i see diaz getting fired is if he looses out and he still might not then.

They won't fire Diaz even if we lose the rest of the games this year due solely to the fact that it would be a bad look from a public relations perspective (of course, so is losing). The only way I see that happening is if Blake James is let go and the new AD decides to bring in his own guy; that's the only way to make this change without the entire University looking incompetent. To me that's what stings the most is that there is no short-term fix, another year down the tubes......

Nope. Firing Manny after one year is not only a public admission by James (and Epstein) that they made the wrong hire, it conclusively demonstrates they RUSHED the hire. Making bad decisions is one thing, but having a bad decision-making process is far worse. They can't (and won't) admit that.

They'll give Manny another year, let him get blown out by some basement dwelling P5 school, and, if we have two truly horrific seasons where we miss out on the bowl game checks, fire him with the old, "We appreciate the work Manny Diaz put into the program, but he didn't get the job done. At the U, there is an expectation of excellence... blah blah blah... accountability starts with the coach... blah blah blah."

Meanwhile, we just extended Blake James last year (through 2023). And Manny Diaz signed a 5 year contract (which I believe goes through the 2023 season). Double buyout? Let that sink in.

The issue is, Manny has been here since 2016. He harped all offseason about how there was a disease and he knows the problems. Just because he is a HC for the first time doesn't give him an excuse. He has been here. He should know our strengths and weaknesses. He hand picked the staff. End result has been one of the worst teams I have ever seen play at Miami. I am not even excited to watch Canes games anymore. I don't even get mad watching them lose anymore. That is never a good feeling or sign as a fan.

Friendly reminder, we open next season with Temple then a few weeks later @ Michigan State. If no changes are made after this season I 100% expect both of those games to be L's. Imagine Temple beating Manny on opening weekend. That will be the third time Temple has fu**** us lol

The issue is, Manny has been here since 2016. He harped all offseason about how there was a disease and he knows the problems. Just because he is a HC for the first time doesn't give him an excuse. He has been here. He should know our strengths and weaknesses. He hand picked the staff. End result has been one of the worst teams I have ever seen play at Miami. I am not even excited to watch Canes games anymore. I don't even get mad watching them lose anymore. That is never a good feeling or sign as a fan.

Friendly reminder, we open next season with Temple then a few weeks later @ Michigan State. If no changes are made after this season I 100% expect both of those games to be L's. Imagine Temple beating Manny on opening weekend. That will be the third time Temple has fu**** us lol
At this rate UAB might roll in and finish Manny off.

Advertisement
The better question is, would Epstein and his cronies even know what a legitimate AD looks like.
Answer that honestly and be scared for the future.
Fire Blake James? Fine.
Now who hires Blake's replacement? The same guy who was instrumental in hiring Blake (Epstein).
All valid points. To me, the answer lies right up the highway at UCF, just as it should have when Jim Morris was retiring. Look around the country at who has had the most success hiring successful coaches, whose athletic department is in good financial standing, and if they can raise money (pretty much don't be Eichorst for the third point). That third one really does not matter as much if you have winning programs. Just about anyone can get people to donate and cut checks when you're winning consistently.

It took Golden and Shannon 3-4 years for me to reach the level of apathy that Manny has caused in 6-7 games.

I agree with everything above, but it's the highlighted portion that consistently leads me to a different conclusion.

I expect people in a new job to make mistakes that others with more experience would not make. So personally, I expected a significant amount of growing pains at the start of the year but was optimistic there would be improvement and Manny (and the team) would get better. That absolutely has not happened (with the one possible exception of penalties, which have gotten better). Manny's performance so far has greatly exceeded my tolerance for what can be considered "growing pains" and "rookie mistakes."

But it just reinforces my ultimate conclusion: UM simply should not be hiring rookie HCs. Let assistant coaches cut their teeth somewhere else and earn the $3+ million per year, five-year contract that comes with the job.

Advertisement
Nope. Firing Manny after one year is not only a public admission by James (and Epstein) that they made the wrong hire, it conclusively demonstrates they RUSHED the hire. Making bad decisions is one thing, but having a bad decision-making process is far worse. They can't (and won't) admit that.

They'll give Manny another year, let him get blown out by some basement dwelling P5 school, and, if we have two truly horrific seasons where we miss out on the bowl game checks, fire him with the old, "We appreciate the work Manny Diaz put into the program, but he didn't get the job done. At the U, there is an expectation of excellence... blah blah blah... accountability starts with the coach... blah blah blah."

Meanwhile, we just extended Blake James last year (through 2023). And Manny Diaz signed a 5 year contract (which I believe goes through the 2023 season). Double buyout? Let that sink in.
How does waiting an additional year or two to fire Manure change the fact it was a horrible and unnecessarily rushed decision?

I agree with everything above, but it's the highlighted portion that consistently leads me to a different conclusion.

I expect people in a new job to make mistakes that others with more experience would not make. So personally, I expected a significant amount of growing pains at the start of the year but was optimistic there would be improvement and Manny (and the team) would get better. That absolutely has not happened (with the one possible exception of penalties, which have gotten better). Manny's performance so far has greatly exceeded my tolerance for what can be considered "growing pains" and "rookie mistakes."

But it just reinforces my ultimate conclusion: UM simply should not be hiring rookie HCs. Let assistant coaches cut their teeth somewhere else and earn the $3+ million per year, five-year contract that comes with the job.

I want Manny to succeed. I really do. The one thing that will make me believe in him again is if he does something the previous 3 coaches refused to do...make appropriate changes and scheme your system to the players you have.

I posted this elsewhere, but add on 21% excise tax to most parachute payments that exceed $1m. Diaz’s would meet that but James may not. New provision for tax exempt orgs for executive compensation.

Advertisement
How does waiting an additional year or two to fire Manure change the fact it was a horrible and unnecessarily rushed decision?

It doesn't. But now you're just thinking like someone who has to use his head for a living.
In their hive mind, the further in time you get from the initial decision, the more likely some people are to forget that critical causal link.

Advertisement
Back