The Work 8-5: First week of fall camp

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
**The quarterback position is shaping up more and more to be an Evan Shirreffs and N'Kosi Perry race. According to program sources, Shirreffs appears more confident than he was in spring practice and seems to be trusting has arm downfield more than he previously had. N'Kosi Perry, who had been working almost exclusively with the second-and-third offensive units, received some first-team action in Saturday morning's practice.

A major positive with Perry that a few people have noted is how quickly he gets the ball out of his hands. There does not seem to be much hesitation in his decision making -- add that with the fact that Perry is the most gifted passer on the roster. I'd expect most of the first team reps at QB to continue going towards Shireffs and Perry.

**There's been a ton of good buzz on freshmen receivers Mike Harley and Jeff Thomas -- and for good reason. Every Canes fan knew the type of speed each of them were bringing to the roster when they signed, but here's a bit more info on what each are doing.

Mike Harley has made big plays just about every single day of camp. Bombs, screens, posts, slants, you name it -- Harley just gets open. The criticism of him as a recruit was whether his smallish frame would hinder him against physical play at the next level, but Harley has shown that he gets off the line like a technician and it's tough for corners to recover against that sort of speed.

Jeff Thomas has shown flashes of what he can do but multiple people I've spoken to get the sense that he's only scratched the surface as far as what he can add to the offense this season. One tidbit that I found interesting when looking at these two freshmen receivers -- Thomas has been working almost primarily in the slot, while Harley is being used in more of a flanker role.

People are really excited about Lawrence Cager's return. He has a leg up on Dionte Mullins right now in that battle for the receiver spot opposite of Ahmmon Richards.

**Deejay Dallas is officially starting to get some reps with the running backs. Dallas will still be at receiver, but this potential twist has been rumored for months (first mentioned by DMoney on our spring practice podcast). The intriguing thing about Dallas' skill set is that he is looking really, really good at wide out, and Dugans has moved him around to essentially every role. Although his route running is a work in progress, his body control and ability to snatch the football out of the air have been extremely impressive to those who have watched.

It has become increasingly apparent in just the first week of camp that Dallas will have a role in the offense. He could also have tremendous value as a third-down back.

**When it comes to freshman defensive end DJ Johnson, two words you hear regarding him are "speed and motor". Johnson is sitting somewhere between 255-260 pounds right now. The eye-opening thing about him though his is speed, which some speculated whether or not would translate over from the high school track to the college field -- and it certainly has.

Johnson does not have the pass rush moves he needs moving forward, but he has made a handful of plays in the backfield based almost solely on his speed and relentless motor. Neither him or fellow freshman DE Jonathan Garvin will redshirt.

**Freshman CB Trajan Bandy has been a fit in Manny Diaz's defense almost immediately. The most notable observation I've heard from different sources is how quickly Bandy is able to diagnose plays and react. Bandy had a pick-6 during his first practice. Him and Malek Young will both see time in the nickel spot this season.

As coaches have noted multiple times already, Jhavonte Dean and Dee Delaney are both the truth and have been living up to expectations. Both are probable starters, but things could vary depending on the opposing team's personnel.

**Freshman safety Derrick Smith has the size to be an immediate contributor, which everyone knew. But what has been a bit of a surprise to some is how smooth his hips appear to be in coverage. He is not necessarily in the playing rotation at this moment, but he's showing promise.

Last edited:
Advertisement
**** bruh I kinda feel bad for Malik but "It is what it is Should've put in more time during the off season.

overall all good news that's wassup.

Last edited:
If this is indeed the case, that Shirreffs and Perry are neck and neck, with Rosier behind them, then what the **** is the rest of the media, people like Matt Porter, doing?

It's pretty sad when the only info out there were some positive quotes from Rick about Rosier, and these guys can't even be bothered to develop some sources.

Good job, Pete. Don't ever get lazy like Matt Porter.

Derrick smith is in the mold of rayshawn jenkins with even better playmaking ability in the secondary.

Advertisement
**The quarterback position is shaping up more and more to be an Evan Shirreffs and N'Kosi Perry race. According to program sources, Shirreffs appears more confident than he was in spring practice and seems to be trusting has arm downfield more than he previously had. N'Kosi Perry, who had been working almost exclusively with the second-and-third offensive units, received some first-team action in Saturday morning's practice.

A major positive with Perry that a few people have noted is how quickly he gets the ball out of his hands. There does not seem to be much hesitation in his decision making -- add that with the fact that Perry is the most gifted passer on the roster. I'd expect most of the first team reps at QB to continue going towards Shireffs and Perry.

**There's been a ton of good buzz on freshmen receivers Mike Harley and Jeff Thomas -- and for good reason. Every Canes fan knew the type of speed each of them were bringing to the roster when they signed, but here's a bit more info on what each are doing.

Mike Harley has made big plays just about every single day of camp. Bombs, screens, posts, slants, you name it -- Harley just gets open. The criticism of him as a recruit was whether his smallish frame would hinder him against physical play at the next level, but Harley has shown that he gets off the line like a technician and it's tough for corners to recover against that sort of speed.

Jeff Thomas has shown flashes of what he can do but multiple people I've spoken to get the sense that he's only scratched the surface as far as what he can add to the offense this season. One tidbit that I found interesting when looking at these two freshmen receivers -- Thomas has been working almost primarily in the slot, while Harley is being used in more of a flanker role.

People are really excited about Lawrence Cager's return. He has a leg up on Dionte Mullins right now in that battle for the receiver spot opposite of Ahmmon Richards.

**Deejay Dallas is officially starting to get some reps with the running backs. Dallas will still be at receiver, but this potential twist has been rumored for months (first mentioned by DMoney on our spring practice podcast). The intriguing thing about Dallas' skill set is that he is looking really, really good at wide out, and Dugans has moved him around to essentially every role. Although his route running is a work in progress, his body control and ability to snatch the football out of the air have been extremely impressive to those who have watched.

It has become increasingly apparent in just the first week of camp that Dallas will have a role in the offense. He could also have tremendous value as a third-down back.

**When it comes to freshman defensive end DJ Johnson, two words you hear regarding him are "speed and motor". Johnson is sitting somewhere between 255-260 pounds right now. The eye-opening thing about him though his is speed, which some speculated whether or not would translate over from the high school track to the college field -- and it certainly has.

Johnson does not have the pass rush moves he needs moving forward, but he has made a handful of plays in the backfield based almost solely on his speed and relentless motor. Neither him or fellow freshman DE Jonathan Garvin will redshirt.

**Freshman CB Trajan Bandy has been a fit in Manny Diaz's defense almost immediately. The most notable observation I've heard from different sources is how quickly Bandy is able to diagnose plays and react. Bandy had a pick-6 during his first practice. Him and Malek Young will both see time in the nickel spot this season.

As coaches have noted multiple times already, Jhavonte Dean and Dee Delaney are both the truth and have been living up to expectations. Both are probable starters, but things could vary depending on the opposing team's personnel.

**Freshman safety Derrick Smith has the size to be an immediate contributor, which everyone knew. But what has been a bit of a surprise to some is how smooth his hips appear to be in coverage. He is not necessarily in the playing rotation at this moment, but he's showing promise.

I never got the hate on D Smiff, kids that big and tall don't move like that.

Perry is the starter, harley & thomas blowing by berrios by the minute, our defense is stupid good, & DJ Dallas will have a role in this offense from day 1. Sounds good to me.

Advertisement
On TOS one of the insiders is reporting it's Malik and it's not close....I just don't see it with Sherrifs. Dude looks like a scrub to me. I hope it's not him...

I told ppl D.Smith ain't no pushover. Boy got game.

Pete Berrios getting lost in the shuffle?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Great update!

Just a piece of advice, as you may go into journalism full-time, watch out for the common "he" v. "him" grammar mistakes. Just as you wouldn't say, "Him will see time in the nickel spot," you shouldn't say, "[H]im and Malek will see time in the nickel spot...."

Advertisement
Advertisement
W Evan and N'Kosi can we just all assume

Ken Dorsey starting but splitting some reps with a freshman Charlie Ward?

That's what I'm gonna roll w until otherwise

On TOS one of the insiders is reporting it's Malik and it's not close....I just don't see it with Sherrifs. Dude looks like a scrub to me. I hope it's not him...

The thing is that no one considers Vette an insider, he is a BSer....

Advertisement
Back