The Work 7-13

View as article
The point here is that South Florida has no loyalty, no sense of hometown pride. Golden is expected to lock down a town to historical proportions despite the town being overrun with street agents and hangers on that non-stop **** on the program and steer the kids everywhere else.

South Florida is ambivalent on UM because of the product that Al puts on the field. Would you be dying to have your son play on that defense if you didn't attend UM? It's the coach's job to get the community excited about his program.

That would hold some water if any coach in UM's history had ever actually done it. If any of the championship teams simply had south Florida players throughout the entire roster with the QB from somewhere else. I'm not sure who started the false story that kids never left before Golden got here but people are eating it up.

Its the 4th year. No NCAA to deal with. Time to show out. As "bad" as he has done recruiting there is enough talent on the roster to at a minimum get to an ACC title game. For whatever reason the 2016 kids believe. Reward their faith.

The false story was started by some of our heroes, but mostly build by local HS coaches, handlers and has-been celebrities trying to latch on to control of scholarships like politicians use tax dollars. Howard went out and brought more local kids in and the team did improve. Surely that improved support but local kids have long gone to other schools. Given the attention local high schools have gotten since the rise of THE U, there is a stronger argument that it is THE U that made local football what it is today more so than local stars making THE U. Remember, it was a shock to see Howard, a white coach, walking in Overtown. Before that, you better believe ole pantywaist Urban would never troll around down here. The local kids owe THE U as much as THE U owes them. I am all for getting local kids, but pretending that they are solely responsible for the rise of THE U and its dominance is to deny reality. All that said, product on field has to improve.

Advertisement
Kids are more inclined to stay home than leave. Our product on the field....on defense is what is easy to recruit against. We do not have any glaring weakness on offense where the talent is way below standard. ..QBs are young but talented and more on the way. We have been having problems recruiting DTs and its not enticing for kids to watch what we put out there.....at all. Trust me some kids will always leave but if kids think the best option to be successful was here at home plus have their families watch the weekly plus go home on weekends and holidays easy. They would stay home.....more of them. I totally believe that. Handlers and all. The ball is in Golden and No D's court.

Yes, the ball is in Golden's court now, but if you want to point blame for many of these "misses", you have to spread the blame across Coker and Shannon for overseeing the fall from national champs to mediocrity and the Shapiro fiasco, the administration for the turnover at AD, Shapiro and not promoting the program more, the "fans" for not showing up at games and bad mouthing their own program, the local media for painting UM is such a negative light while putting the SEC, FSU, etc on a pedestal and local coaches for pushing players elsewhere. If you look through that list, there are players you can place squarely at the foot of Golden (Moore), players that were heavily influenced by local coaches (Valentine, Collins), players that were influenced by lack of fan support (Michel, Clark - at least I've read that they loved the game day atmospheres), players that just wanted to leave (Cook), and others that had little to no interest due to the years of mediocrity under Coker and Shannon (Thomas).

I also think it's too early to call some of those players misses. I liked Worton, but I don't think he has the upside of Berrios, Brady or Langham. If they brought in McKenzie, that probably means no Berrios. Sean White looks pretty good but we'll have to wait and see if he's better than Kaaya. I don't think you can compare him to Rosier, because I doubt White and Kaaya would have come in together. Is Michael Johnson going to be a better player than Hester or Gayot? Cerenord didn't exactly have big time offers with Duke probably being his best offer, from a football perspective. Are you taking Lamar Robbins over Burns or Elder? Deeb didn't play last year at ND, so we have nothing to judge him on yet and Ahmad Thomas mostly just played special teams for Oklahoma. Sibiea RS in 2012, had 2 tackles last year and now looks like he may have been moved to OL.

Kids are more inclined to stay home than leave. Our product on the field....on defense is what is easy to recruit against. We do not have any glaring weakness on offense where the talent is way below standard. ..QBs are young but talented and more on the way. We have been having problems recruiting DTs and its not enticing for kids to watch what we put out there.....at all. Trust me some kids will always leave but if kids think the best option to be successful was here at home plus have their families watch the weekly plus go home on weekends and holidays easy. They would stay home.....more of them. I totally believe that. Handlers and all. The ball is in Golden and No D's court.

Yes, the ball is in Golden's court now, but if you want to point blame for many of these "misses", you have to spread the blame across Coker and Shannon for overseeing the fall from national champs to mediocrity and the Shapiro fiasco, the administration for the turnover at AD, Shapiro and not promoting the program more, the "fans" for not showing up at games and bad mouthing their own program, the local media for painting UM is such a negative light while putting the SEC, FSU, etc on a pedestal and local coaches for pushing players elsewhere. If you look through that list, there are players you can place squarely at the foot of Golden (Moore), players that were heavily influenced by local coaches (Valentine, Collins), players that were influenced by lack of fan support (Michel, Clark - at least I've read that they loved the game day atmospheres), players that just wanted to leave (Cook), and others that had little to no interest due to the years of mediocrity under Coker and Shannon (Thomas).

I also think it's too early to call some of those players misses. I liked Worton, but I don't think he has the upside of Berrios, Brady or Langham. If they brought in McKenzie, that probably means no Berrios. Sean White looks pretty good but we'll have to wait and see if he's better than Kaaya. I don't think you can compare him to Rosier, because I doubt White and Kaaya would have come in together. Is Michael Johnson going to be a better player than Hester or Gayot? Cerenord didn't exactly have big time offers with Duke probably being his best offer, from a football perspective. Are you taking Lamar Robbins over Burns or Elder? Deeb didn't play last year at ND, so we have nothing to judge him on yet and Ahmad Thomas mostly just played special teams for Oklahoma. Sibiea RS in 2012, had 2 tackles last year and now looks like he may have been moved to OL.

I dont see how 4 years later its still Shannon and Coker fault. No one cares how we got here. No one. Its losing and horrible coaching that lost us local kids. Not neglect. When Shannon came in he cleaned up So FL. He failed to coach them up and lost the rest of them. Same for Coker. So far Golden is going almost down the same road. If he doesn't start to win and improve particularly the defense. Its going the same way no matter if he lives in these kids houses. Point blank period. And it wont be Shannon fault. He had that excuse for 3 years. He hs alot of talent on the team he brought in andnif he can't win or show some fight with them he is gone just like Shannon and Coker. Period

I dont see how 4 years later its still Shannon and Coker fault. No one cares how we got here. No one. Its losing and horrible coaching that lost us local kids. Not neglect. When Shannon came in he cleaned up So FL. He failed to coach them up and lost the rest of them. Same for Coker. So far Golden is going almost down the same road. If he doesn't start to win and improve particularly the defense. Its going the same way no matter if he lives in these kids houses. Point blank period. And it wont be Shannon fault. He had that excuse for 3 years. He hs alot of talent on the team he brought in andnif he can't win or show some fight with them he is gone just like Shannon and Coker. Period

First of all, I'm not absolving Golden of any blame, I'm saying that blame should be spread across all 3 coaches. And I wasn't talking about "4 years in", my comment was clearly about recruiting "misses" 1 and 2 years into his tenure at the height of the "cloud". These kids were 4, 5, 6 years old in 2001. They know the University of Miami football team as the product that Coker and Shannon and now Golden put on the football field, so how can they not share in the blame of missing a recruit that grew up thinking of Miami as a mid tier program. Their, and their staff's, actions, or lack of action, with Shapiro has also directly impacted Golden's recruiting efforts. That should no longer be the case, but certainly was for 2012 and 2013.

Yes, now it's on Golden to right the ship, and he needs to win to change the perception of the program going forward, but my comment was in response to recruiting "misses" going back to 2012. The longer he goes without winning at least the Coastal the more he solidifies the perception of the program that was established during the Coker and Shannon tenures.

South Florida is ambivalent on UM because of the product that Al puts on the field. Would you be dying to have your son play on that defense if you didn't attend UM? It's the coach's job to get the community excited about his program.

That would hold some water if any coach in UM's history had ever actually done it. If any of the championship teams simply had south Florida players throughout the entire roster with the QB from somewhere else. I'm not sure who started the false story that kids never left before Golden got here but people are eating it up.

Its the 4th year. No NCAA to deal with. Time to show out. As "bad" as he has done recruiting there is enough talent on the roster to at a minimum get to an ACC title game. For whatever reason the 2016 kids believe. Reward their faith.

You guys are caught up in advocating. In your zeal to advocate, you're making things up. No one said every UM coach has gotten every S. FL kid. We are saying, specifically, that Al has to do a better job protecting his backyard because there's a reason top programs are coming down here and poaching the guys on Thread Killa's list.

On top of missing the big fish, he's completely overlooking some really good talent like Dowells, Moore and McKenzie and offering guys like Hope and Dortch and other reaches.

A lot of fans have a hard time understanding the times, we had first dips back then and the Ray Lewis's Sean Taylor would not be wearing Cane jerseys because the sec would do what needs to be done to get them. They couldn't evaluate like us and now with the rankings it's easier for them. We are losing on the field because we are missing a lot of big chip players. A lot of the fans are here are crazy if they think we are going to win with the guys we are missing, keep waiting till we win big until you figure out it's the recruiting that is keeping us at bay. Once we get the collins's the Beckers the DTs and lock down sfla etc we will be back.

Past coaches didn't lock down sfla they got the best players from sfla while other teams thought they got the best players. Our evaluations were way ahead because of our location and that's not the case anymore. It doesn't matter who's coach at UM it matters if he can keep elite kids home, you find the coach that does that you find the coach that win a national title.

Totally agree, I think if we locked it down the the cooks, Rudolph's, 6, Ridleys etc, every year we would be Alabama, but better. Maybe one day we can get back to that but it will take some time, or a complete attitude change like the 2016 class. Maybe they can be the movement that will sustain for years to come.

Well no, Miami would not be Alabama or better. Alabama, in addition to recruiting well, also coaches well. Coaching matters. Miami doesn't have actual coaching at the level of Alabama right now.

Advertisement

You guys are caught up in advocating. In your zeal to advocate, you're making things up. No one said every UM coach has gotten every S. FL kid. We are saying, specifically, that Al has to do a better job protecting his backyard because there's a reason top programs are coming down here and poaching the guys on Thread Killa's list.

On top of missing the big fish, he's completely overlooking some really good talent like Dowells, Moore and McKenzie and offering guys like Hope and Dortch and other reaches.

A lot of fans have a hard time understanding the times, we had first dips back then and the Ray Lewis's Sean Taylor would not be wearing Cane jerseys because the sec would do what needs to be done to get them. They couldn't evaluate like us and now with the rankings it's easier for them. We are losing on the field because we are missing a lot of big chip players. A lot of the fans are here are crazy if they think we are going to win with the guys we are missing, keep waiting till we win big until you figure out it's the recruiting that is keeping us at bay. Once we get the collins's the Beckers the DTs and lock down sfla etc we will be back.

Past coaches didn't lock down sfla they got the best players from sfla while other teams thought they got the best players. Our evaluations were way ahead because of our location and that's not the case anymore. It doesn't matter who's coach at UM it matters if he can keep elite kids home, you find the coach that does that you find the coach that win a national title.

Totally agree, I think if we locked it down the the cooks, Rudolph's, 6, Ridleys etc, every year we would be Alabama, but better. Maybe one day we can get back to that but it will take some time, or a complete attitude change like the 2016 class. Maybe they can be the movement that will sustain for years to come.

Well no, Miami would not be Alabama or better. Alabama, in addition to recruiting well, also coaches well. Coaching matters. Miami doesn't have actual coaching at the level of Alabama right now.

Nick Saban > Al Golden
Kirby Smart > Mark D'Onofrio
Lane Kiffin > Jame Coley

Nick Saban > Al Golden
Lane Kiffin > Jame Coley

Bama $ > Miami $

Nick Saban > Al Golden
Lane Kiffin > Jame Coley

Maybe so but it was good to see Saban coach himself out of a chance to beat Auburn in the SEC CG. Couldn't have happened to a bigger d-bag

Nick Saban > Al Golden
Lane Kiffin > Jame Coley

Kiffin sucks balls...almost single handily destroyed the USC program. As soon as O took over that team did a complete 360 because he is a better coach. Even though Coley is unproven..Kiffin is not greater than him

Advertisement

Nick Saban > Al Golden
Lane Kiffin > Jame Coley

Kiffin sucks balls...almost single handily destroyed the USC program. As soon as O took over that team did a complete 360 because he is a better coach. Even though Coley is unproven..Kiffin is not greater than him

Kiffin is impressive to the layman, and the kids. The name. The bloodline. The places he's coached.

But ****, look at that reputation, that record. If he looks like a bad coach, walks like a bad coach, and talks like a bad coach, then he's probably a bad coach.

I think Coley is a better coach than Kiffin. He can recruit, the kids like him, and I think he can communicate his vision, philosophies, etc. That said, he needs to brush up on his play calling. Woof.

The guy is still living off his reputation from his USC days. He has done jack$hit since. I mean hes been to THREE places since USC and FAILED at all three and the clout from those USC days still has him riding high! Smh. ****. Norm Chow was the same way I guess. 10 years later and people still consider him an offensive genius. Although I think people are starting to see through the smoke and mirrors with him in the last few years.

I get the feeling that Al is looking for a certain type of player for each position he recruits. For example, if you are a small DB, you better be a super duper athlete or a guy who can play multiple positions. (the reason why he probably didnt go for Dowels but went for a kid like Elder. I think he liked Hope because he wanted to show kids that if you come to his camps, you can earn a scholie. So its not a waste of time to attend.)

And at WR, the days of the Roscoe Parish types are almost extinct. Roscoe was a freak when it came to his toughness for someone is stature. That "Stanford Samuels FSU hit" would have ended most players his size careers. The age of BIG WRs is coming fast. Look at Missouri. Those guys swept through the SEC with those big WRs. Should have gone undefeated. I say that to say maybe thats the reason why a guy like McKenzie was not recruited. Buddy is the goods. But he looks small and frail. We are recruiting mammoths at the WR position.

These are just a few examples. These are just my opinions too of course. But at the same time, some of it holds weight. Time will tell whether or not him missing out on guys will hurt him because..well...he wont be here much longer if he doesnt get this train back going again. Im not buying that he has 3-4 more years. I think hes got 2 years. After that, I think the administration will starting looking in another direction. 6 years, without any cloud of REAL probation/sanctions, to turn a program around is long enough. Butch only needed 6 so as far as im concerned, thats all Al should get.

Advertisement
Back