The Work 3-31

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
**Miami continues to recruit Torrance Gibson, but that still looks like it will be an extremely tough pull. The most realistic option at quarterback right now is Brandon Wimbush, who Miami coaches absolutely love as a prospect. Penn State and Ohio State have cemented themselves as top contenders along with Miami, but the positive news with both Wimbush and his teammate Minkah Fitzpatrick is that their high school coaching staff was down in Miami this weekend for the coaching clinic on campus. That could have been a vacation to Miami for them, but it has to be a good sign nonetheless. On Gibson, I ultimately expect Auburn to regain the advantage with him when he visits there in mid-April.

**Speaking of the coaches clinic on campus last week, that was a brilliant idea by whoever set it up. It is a great relationship-building tool for Miami staff and high school coaches around the country. The local coaches that I’ve spoken to only had positive things to say about the event and I expect this to be even bigger next year, as does Miami.

**The situation at tight end has been developing quickly over the past few weeks with the commitment of stud Bowman Archibald and the “commitment” of Trevill Holcy. There were reports out there that Miami sees Archibald as a prospect who could grow into an offensive lineman, but I was told the opposite. The coaches love Archibald’s versatility and size in the passing game and view him as a tight end all the way. It is out by now that Holcy was never a legitimate commitment and I have been told that Miami never really discussed him as a viable option at the position. This leads me to my next point about Devonaire Clarington. Earlier in the process, there was some trepidation from Miami’s side about Clarington, but he is most definitely wanted by them now and the Canes lead by a wide margin. A spring/early summer commitment would not surprise me.

**I have seen some posts recently on both here and Twitter where some fans are worried that JaQuan Johnson could be the next big-time prospect from South Florida to spurn Miami for another program, but not much has changed there and the Canes are still the team to beat. Both Johnson and Tim Irvin were on Miami’s campus last week for a mid-week unofficial, which included a film session with Paul Williams and Mark D’Onofrio. That trip went very well for both according to a source who was with Irvin on the visit. Hurlie Brown has made an impression on Irvin.

**The other Westminster talent that Miami fans have been patiently waiting on is Jordan Cronkrite. I’ve mentioned several times in the past couple months that Cronkrite was not only a legitimate top target for the staff, but he was feeling Miami equally as much. One thing to note about him is the number of times he has been on campus. It seems like he has been at every junior day/invited recruit day and he took yet another visit last week as well. Nothing is set in stone, but I still project him to commit sooner rather than later. A commitment at his spring game is not out of the question.

**All is quiet on the Burgess-Becker and Ridley front for now. Look for this one to string out until the end, even if they commit prior to signing day.

**The top target for Miami at linebacker right now is Jeff Holland. I don’t necessarily thing it is realistic that he winds up here, but the coaches are trying. Most have penciled in Tevon Coney to UF, but Miami is certainly in the game at this point.

Advertisement
7:30 Miami staff
Ethics 101
How to hold a coaching clinic and not pay hS coaches to attend by assigning fake presentations

Advertisement
SBB and Ridley are gonna be a battle to the end. No surprise there.

Also, loved this part.

**The top target for Miami at linebacker right now is Jeff Holland. I don’t necessarily thing it is realistic that he winds up here, but the coaches are trying. Most have penciled in Tevon Coney to UF, but Miami is certainly in the game at this point.

Advertisement
I attended the coaching the clinic. I noticed/spoke with some staff members from: Booker T, Miami Central, Miramar, South Dade, Belen, Gulliver, Homestead, Westminster Christian, Columbus, St. Peters Prep (New Jersey), Park Vista, Keys Gate, Desmond Howard attended it (not sure where he's coaching), Barbara Goleman, and coaches from various optimist programs. There were coaches from other schools that I'll list if I remember lol.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Mostly good news Pete and I appreciate the update. I think the best bet at getting Wimbush is if we make a serious impact on Fitzpatrick which I think we can. If we can win him over then getting Wimbush would be a lot more plausible.

Advertisement
I attended the coaching the clinic. I noticed/spoke with some staff members from: Booker T, Miami Central, Miramar, South Dade, Belen, Gulliver, Homestead, Westminster Christian, Columbus, St. Peters Prep (New Jersey), Park Vista, Keys Gate, Desmond Howard attended it (not sure where he's coaching), Barbara Goleman, and coaches from various optimist programs. There were coaches from other schools that I'll list if I remember lol.

Was hoping to get a little more insight from this post.

Advertisement
Back