The Work 10-8

View as article
why are people trying words like "if Kaaya decommits?"

there has been no signs showing he will or that he is even thinking about such things.

Advertisement
Thread starts about Kaaya being solid to Miami and Harris being solid to FSU.

"Kaaya's gonna flip! We need to offer Harris, WE NEED ANOTHER QB!!!!!!"

We need to all let the Treon Harris topic go, he's committed to FSU to live out his dream as a back-up "QB".....

Miami doesnt need another QB in this class even if Kaaya de-commits imo. Trayone Gray and Malik Rosier can suffice for this year. None of them would even be the 2nd string QB until 4 years from now anyway.

Wrong.

One thing we learned during the Jimmy Johnson era is that you always take a QB, every year. We had some periods where guys left or didin't work out, and we were very very thin. We had to go out and find Geoff Torretta to back up Vinnie. When Bill Turkowski from Pittsburgh didn't work out we had to find somebody to be 3rd behind Walsh and Erickson. (Turkowski transferred to Pitt where they made him a TE.) That ended up being a former punter, who had played some HS QB, Kirk Sandifer. God forbid if we had to go to Sandifer. We were desperate that year, '87, fortunately, Walsh stayed healthy.

Johnson said after those experiences, you recruit a QB every year.

Look what happened to Coker, to struck out time and again at QB. We were grasping at straws.

So, you never know what happens, but you bring in a QB every year.

QB's have a way of not working out--think of Kenny Kelly, Alan Hall, Turkowski, Greg Jones, Joey Coles....

I agree w/ everything you said but i dont understand what's "wrong" about my comment?

Miami already has 2 QBs right now (Kaaya and Rosier)..... and i'm going to stop selling Treon Harris short b/c he is probably better right now then Trayone Gray and Malik Rosier at QB. But is the level of separation between them that much of a difference for Miami to offer him as the 3rd QB..... thats what i dont see.

All this is figuratively speaking b/c I dont think Kaaya is going to de-commit especially if Berrios and Dixon commit, and in that case we definitely dont need another QB. Thats why I dont think the staff wanted Alin Edouard b/c they didnt want 3 QBs, and Rosier and Kaaya were Coley's guy.

I prefer Trayone Gray at safety, but he doesnt want to play defense, so receiver is his next best fit.... i was just saying if Miami loses Kaaya, then Gray could be the "replacement" QB for 1 season, which will let him see the mountain he would have to climb to get on the field, and then Miami goes after QBs in the next class, and Gray would accept a position change, for the team and his own benefit.

Miami is deep at QB.... even w/o Stephen Morris, there is still Williams, Olsen, Crow, Lassiter, and Welch.

Last edited:
We need to all let the Treon Harris topic go, he's committed to FSU to live out his dream as a back-up "QB".....

Miami doesnt need another QB in this class even if Kaaya de-commits imo. Trayone Gray and Malik Rosier can suffice for this year. None of them would even be the 2nd string QB until 4 years from now anyway.

Wrong.

One thing we learned during the Jimmy Johnson era is that you always take a QB, every year. We had some periods where guys left or didin't work out, and we were very very thin. We had to go out and find Geoff Torretta to back up Vinnie. When Bill Turkowski from Pittsburgh didn't work out we had to find somebody to be 3rd behind Walsh and Erickson. (Turkowski transferred to Pitt where they made him a TE.) That ended up being a former punter, who had played some HS QB, Kirk Sandifer. God forbid if we had to go to Sandifer. We were desperate that year, '87, fortunately, Walsh stayed healthy.

Johnson said after those experiences, you recruit a QB every year.

Look what happened to Coker, to struck out time and again at QB. We were grasping at straws.

So, you never know what happens, but you bring in a QB every year.

QB's have a way of not working out--think of Kenny Kelly, Alan Hall, Turkowski, Greg Jones, Joey Coles....

I agree w/ everything you said but i dont understand what's "wrong" about my comment?

Miami already has 2 QBs right now (Kaaya and Rosier)..... and i'm going to stop selling Treon Harris short b/c he is probably better right now then Trayone Gray and Malik Rosier at QB. But is the level of separation between them that much of a difference for Miami to offer him as the 3rd QB..... thats what i dont see.

All this is figuratively speaking b/c I dont think Kaaya is going to de-commit especially if Berrios and Dixon commit, and in that case we definitely dont need another QB. Thats why I dont think the staff wanted Alin Edouard b/c they didnt want 3 QBs, and Rosier and Kaaya were Coley's guy.

I prefer Trayone Gray at safety, but he doesnt want to play defense, so receiver is his next best fit.... i was just saying if Miami loses Kaaya, then Gray could be the "replacement" QB for 1 season, which will let him see the mountain he would have to climb to get on the field, and then Miami goes after QBs in the next class, and Gray would accept a position change, for the team and his own benefit.

Miami is deep at QB.... even w/o Stephen Morris, there is still Williams, Olsen, Crow, Lassiter, and Welch.

Miami is not even remotely deep. Williams is serviceable at best. Crow is a carear back up. Olsen should get the nod next year or after. Lassiter is 30 and a walk on as us welch. It is imperative we get atleast 1 solid QB in this class. Kaaya fills that void.

Advertisement
Miami is not even remotely deep. Williams is serviceable at best. Crow is a carear back up. Olsen should get the nod next year or after. Lassiter is 30 and a walk on as us welch. It is imperative we get atleast 1 solid QB in this class. Kaaya fills that void.

What team in this country has 3 guys on the roster at QB that could eventually start for their team??? Ryan Williams is more then serviceable, and next year he's going to be even better.... he is the clear front runner to be our QB next year.

Kevin Olsen we all know he's being groomed to take over eventually.... but dont sale Gray Crow short, he is nowhere near ready at this point, but Stephen Morris and Ryan Williams were not good QBs as "redshirt" freshman either. Gray Crow could end up developing into a solid QB especially under this program.

Yeah we need 1 solid QB in this class, of course that's Kaaya, but there are no other solid QBs left in the class if Kaaya de-commits.... so my point is no point in waisting that xtra ship trying to find another project at QB when it could be used for another DB, DT, or receiver.

I know Pete likes our chances with Berrios, but is he predicting he chooses Miami on Sat?

1. Kaaya will sign with UM
2. Harris sucks as a QB
3. Berrios will sign with either South Carolina or Oregon

Advertisement
DON'T GET ME WRONG, i like what he brings to the table. But, I am hoping we have bigger fish in the basket.

Nothing against him. I hope he thrives anywhere but where we play.

With that said, give me more 305 ballas, and lock South Florida down!

DON'T GET ME WRONG, i like what he brings to the table. But, I am hoping we have bigger fish in the basket.

Nothing against him. I hope he thrives anywhere but where we play.

With that said, give me more 305 ballas, and lock South Florida down!

Miami is going to land the right amount of "305 ballas"..... but i'd take Braxton Berrios over CJ Worton and JoJo Robinson any day.

Not worried about anything recruiting. We are winning, have a loaded class, and as organized and proactive a staff on the recruiting trail as there is in the country. I'm enjoying the **** out of this right now. As long as Valentine, Yearby, KC, Langham, Owens, and CT99 stick on signing day, I'm a happy man. Anything else is cake.

Advertisement
This dude Berrios ran 4.49, jumped 40.9' and then did 3.81 in the shuttle. Crown him. This is a once in a decade type dude IMO and would kill it. Look past the color and see this guy is our next Santana Moss

I really liked Rosier's film, but he was disappointing at the camp. Short and a bit wild in terms of accuracy. Strong arm, though.

He's been wild this season too. His completion percentage is poor. That's the thing about those highlight films. They never show all the bad throws, so all you see is a guy with a strong arm making good throws. You don't see the other 50% that he threw badly.

All i was thinking was this kid looks good! But i guess u got a point. Lol

This dude Berrios ran 4.49, jumped 40.9' and then did 3.81 in the shuttle. Crown him. This is a once in a decade type dude IMO and would kill it. Look past the color and see this guy is our next Santana Moss

Just stop.

206.gif

Advertisement
Berrios is a helluva athlete, and I would love to have him at the "U". He's one of the best athletes in the entire 2014 class. Don't compare him to Santana Moss. Moss was on a different level! He scared people on the defensive side of the ball. The only thing comparable is body size. Berrios is fast, Santana's speed is elite! Santana played on the outside. I think Berrios game will be mostly from the slot.

Berrios likes Miami, Oregon, and USCe. Has been to USCe the most. Loves Oregon's system. Family connection for UM. Many believe family wins out in the end, but I don't. The young man was shown the love early on from UM and he didn't commit then. So why now.

As for options, UM has plenty. It's great that this year is particularly strong in wr's for the state so I'm not worried at this time. Besides, UM keeps throwing the rock the way they have in the first 5 games, and that many more kids will take notice...

1. Kaaya will sign with UM
2. Harris sucks as a QB
3. Berrios will sign with either South Carolina or Oregon

Is 3 because of him wanting to go to one of those schools or us having another guy we like better?

I had a bad feeling about Berrios for a while but lately I feel pretty good.

It'll be either us or South Carolina this Saturday.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back