The Unintended Consequences

Rellyrell

Heisman Winner
Premium
September 25, 2021

Kirk Herbstreit decided to air his frustration towards The University of Miami, particularly its direction. Why? B/c The U was on a 4 game losing streak against P5 opponents, struggling against a G5 team at home, at the time of his rant. The rant questioned our dedication to winning, and for the first time, questioned the alignment of the decision makers of The U.

Results? It prompted a letter from The President’s office to refute such claims. It prompted a rehearsed statement by Diaz after a blowout win against a semi FCS school to defend The University. However something sinister happened; On October 23rd, 2021, before an ACC matchup against NCSt, Blake James provides an interview w/ a hand select few regarding Diaz’s job. That interview unveiled a complete chit storm showing, indeed, The University of Miami has zero alignment.

From that time onward, all we’ve seen is a school that’s been made to look more & more incompetent. Unfortunately, the media have been used as weapons of mass destruction. Whether the info leaked has merit or not is of no consequence to me; what it has been done is validate what Herbstreit said some 9 weeks ago.

I’m going to go out on a limb & say whether these reports are accurate or not, they are not being pulled out of thin air. I’m going to assume those w/in the dept are either accurately or deceptively leaking reports, all of which are sabotaging our reputation further. If it’s the former, then our direction of leadership is f’d; however, if it’s the latter, it shows our alignment & unity is disjointed af at The Hecht.

Look, I’m not an insider; I’m just a loyal fan for 3+ decades. I’m just a guy who’s made friends w/ some old school & current alums; but, what I will say is that regardless of how we may try to reason, spin, or justify what’s been going on, THIS IS NOT HOW A PROPERLY RAN UNIVERSITY OPERATES. I know business; I’ve been successful in it. I’ve worked for companies who lived on its past reputation w/o fwd thinking, and we were a complete chit show b/c of it. There was no alignment, too many chefs in the kitchen w/ huge egos. The results? Ppl w/ decision making influence jockeying for position no matter the end results vs. coming together to right the ship, A Reactive nature when JD Powers & Associates ripped us a new one vs. formulating a cohesive plan.
We’re seeing this type of chit happen before our very eyes, b/c we’ve been unveiled as a chit show.

Timeline & justifications:
-Blake James makes a statement on Diaz’s tenure before NC St game; James looks shady for coming out w/ said statement before a big game AND using certain media members, while excluding others (he would catch **** from both Diaz supporters & hurt feelings media members)

-Diaz after game makes statement to low key slight James

-James fired, causing a divide of some BOT members who loved him vs The Presidents office.

-Diaz allegedly on hot seat, but goes on a streak of winning 5 of 6 games.

-Allegedly an AD was supposed to have been announced two weeks ago. (Failed)

-Allegedly The University wanted to wait until Dec. 1st to make a decision to fire Diaz (Hasn’t come to fruition as of yet)

Hopefully we hire the right AD & coach, but between the academic tumbles, the COMPLETE athletic stumbles, and leaving a decision in the hands of a guy who yesterday had no interest in sports or cognizant of its affect on school revenue, doesn’t make me feel good.

I’ll just finish up w/ this; living in SC territory, there wasn’t nearly this much chit being talked about. Matter of fact, there were no leaks until it was time to pull the trigger. The only speculation was SC’s interest in Meyer (which he commented on) & Fickell (which a story was upon). Nothing else. Why? B/c SC has alignment from top to bottom. When the firing came of Swann, it was a unanimous decision. This power play that’s going on at Miami is not only tiresome, but worrisome.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not much to really add since you thoroughly laid it out

But one thing I’ve experienced in my life, that prompted me to change everything, was there is a huge misconception out there that “successful” people, or wealthy/positions of prominence so to speak etc know what they’re doing

One thing social has helped many realize is that is absolutely not true

When we hired Diaz, I had nothing against him personally. I didn’t hate the idea of him as our coach at all if it played out that way

But Richts retirement and his hiring was the moment when any questions about the competence of the program should have been erased

Anyway, not to beat that same tired point home but I wish I could say I was shocked at all of the nonsense we’ve read recently

Yes in part it’s our fans throwing **** around but underneath all of that you can see the fundamental problems even if you don’t know the intimate details

For me, this might be the most important couple of weeks in my time as a fan and it’s unnerving to see how it’s playing out, though I’m still optimistic we can make it work (but that might just be my heart speaking)

All valid points. What I see is a University that has allowed itself for years to become a mess, and a University that still lacks a few strong people at the top who can not only make decisions, but can control who speaks. I don't understand how a corporation/university can have so many voices speaking for it. Imagine Apple having 10 different people speaking to the media instead of Tim Cook, or someone Cook specifically appoints to speak on a specific topic, like his CFO.

But let me also add that some of this is media driven. There are so many media outlets these days and all of them want to scoop a story and/or provide a provocative headline that generates clicks. As an example, Brett McMurphy's Twitter post (I think it was on Twitter) provided no substance. But one of the people at UM who is unhappy wanted that narrative to be released, and McMurphy wants to write that post which means nothing other than it gets people to comment on his post, like dumbass Barry Jackson did. And like my dumbass is doing right now.

So what I see is a University with weak leadership that may make the right decisions, but which is completely unable to shut up its own people, and apparently unable to remove those who are trying to subvert this process. And I see media who are circling around the school like sharks making themselves available to anyone with a gripe because it furthers the interests of the media member. Clickbait.

So where does this lead? Who knows. I for one will choose to be an optimist until I am proven wrong because living life as a pessimist or skeptic seems horrible. I will add that if I was President Frenk, I would have some heads removed when this is done. I would basically go Michael Corleone at the end of Godfather 1 and kill of Tattaglia, Bodzini, Epstein and settle all family business on one day.

Advertisement
I remember someone early on in this process saying this was gonna get ugly and it did. The old expression things need to get worse before they get better is applicable here. We need to do something with the whole BOT structure as it relates to athletics and this has finally been aired in public. Maybe it gets better, Maybe not but at least the problem is out and now the rebuild can begin.

They have to know if they **** these hires up it'll kill the school as a relevant sports entity.

Nobody will show up to watch a depleted football roster led by a moron trudge to mediocrity every week. As I understand it the baseball, basketball etc programmes are in turmoil too.

You'd be better off just ditching sports entirely at that point.

Advertisement
September 25, 2021

Kirk Herbstreit decided to air his frustration towards The University of Miami, particularly it’s direction. Why? B/c The U was on a 4 game losing streak against P5 opponents, struggling against a G5 team at home, at the time of his rant. The rant questioned our dedication to winning, and for the first time, questioned the alignment of the decision makers of The U.

Results? It prompted a letter from The President’s office to refute such claims. It prompted a rehearsed statement by Diaz after a blowout win against a semi FCS school to defend The University. However something sinister happened; On October 23rd, 2021, before an ACC matchup against NCSt, Blake James provides an interview w/ a hand select few regarding Diaz’s job. That interview unveiled a complete chit storm showing, indeed, The University of Miami has zero alignment.

From that time onward, all we’ve seen is a school that’s been made to look more & more incompetent. Unfortunately, the media have been used as weapons of mass destruction. Whether the info leaked has merit or not is of no consequence to me; what it has been done is validate what Herbstreit said some 9 weeks ago.

I’m going to go out on a limb & say whether these reports are accurate or not, they are not being pulled out of thin air. I’m going to assume those w/in the dept are either accurately or deceptively leaking reports, all of which are sabotaging our reputation further. If it’s the former, then our direction of leadership is f’d; however, if it’s the latter, it shows our alignment & unity is disjointed af at The Hecht.

Look, I’m not an insider; I’m just a loyal fan for 3+ decades. I’m just a guy who’s made friends w/ some old school & current alums; but, what I will say is that regardless of how we may try to reason, spin, or justify what’s been going on, THIS IS NOT HOW A PROPERLY RAN UNIVERSITY OPERATES. I know business; I’ve been successful in it. I’ve worked for companies who lived on its past reputation w/o fwd thinking, and we were a complete chit show b/c of it. There was no alignment, too many chefs in the kitchen w/ huge egos. The results? Ppl w/ decision making influence jockeying for position no matter the end results vs. coming together to right the ship, A Reactive nature when JD Powers & Associates ripped us a new one vs. formulating a cohesive plan.
We’re seeing this type of chit happen before our very eyes, b/c we’ve been unveiled as a chit show.

-Blake James makes a statement on Diaz’s tenure before NC St game; James looks shady for coming out w/ said statement before a big game AND using certain media members, while excluding others (he would catch **** from both Diaz supporters & hurt feelings media members)

-James fired, causing a divide of some BOT members who loved him vs The Presidents office.

-Allegedly The University wanted to wait until Dec. 1st to make a decision to fire Diaz (Hasn’t come to fruition as of yet)

Hopefully we hire the right AD & coach, but between the academic tumbles, the COMPLETE athletic stumbles, and leaving a decision in the hands of a guy who yesterday had no interest in sports or cognizant of its affect on school revenue, doesn’t make me feel good.

I’ll just finish up w/ this; living in SC territory, there wasn’t nearly this much chit being talked about. Matter of fact, there were no leaks until it was time to pull the trigger. The only speculation was SC’s interest in Meyer (which he commented on) & Fickell (which a story was upon). Nothing else. Why? B/c SC has alignment from top to bottom. When the firing came of Swann, it was a unanimous decision. This power play that’s going on at Miami is not only tiresome, but worrisome.
All of this ☝️ !!!

It seems apparent that this program is done. There is no way for a football program to operate successfully in this environment… it’s literally being sabotaged from within. There will be no appetite to purge BOT, and so this is what a new HC and AD will have to contend with. And they will fail.

So it begs the question…What are we, the fans, even doing supporting this? What are we loyal to…A logo? A memory? What’s the point?

I’ll just finish up w/ this; living in SC territory, there wasn’t nearly this much chit being talked about. Matter of fact, there were no leaks until it was time to pull the trigger. The only speculation was SC’s interest in Meyer (which he commented on) & Fickell (which a story was upon).
Agreed with everything up to this point. SC was a **** show. They also strung out the Helton saga over 7 years. My SC friends would DEF disagree with how everything was handled until literally this year, and the media was still killing them during this process until they caught everyone by surprise and landed Riley. Bohn is obviously a very good AD but they still were receiving a lot of criticism for the Urban gaffe last year and then bringing Helton back only to fire him early this season as well.

Advertisement
I will say this:
- if we don’t like the decisions for AD and HC we fight it

- if we do like the decisions for AD and HC, we demand answers related to the embarrassment of our school
My only regret as an alum is that since I cancelled my donations (including to the school no just the athletic dept)and season tickets when they hired Manny that I have nothing to hold back now.

September 25, 2021

Kirk Herbstreit decided to air his frustration towards The University of Miami, particularly it’s direction. Why? B/c The U was on a 4 game losing streak against P5 opponents, struggling against a G5 team at home, at the time of his rant. The rant questioned our dedication to winning, and for the first time, questioned the alignment of the decision makers of The U.

Brother you gotta stop listening to these Ppl that cover the team..their info is the part that’s unreliable and is the cause of confusion. Canes Twitter and message boards has become a echo chamber..as for the BJ part, he got himself fired imo based on the stunt he pulled prior to the NC state...that caused (obviousl) a rift between the ppl in the football building vs the leadership in the Sports Admin..and that seemingly caused The school president to take the action he took with James

now the SC part i fully agree with. The reason why they were aligned is simple to me..they Had a AD in place..Miami’ fired theirs. So now your stuck with a few Ppl who were aligned with bj and his plan in the sports department..vs the school administration..and some of the former leaking **** to make it seem like the decision makers are all over the place...when i step back and look it seems clear to me that those Bj loyalist have absolutely no say in the new direction..and they want a say..so the only tactic they have to be involved is getting into the ear of some the miami media who want to be first to have a story..and certain media Ppl in hast to give Miami fans a scoop are regurgitating **** they hear and giving it oxygen.

ultimately it’s clear..Their are very few who will have a legitimate say in the New Ad..and that’s how it should be. It can’t be a power play if the ones with ACTUAL power are the decision makers in the room...all the other **** is just noise and nonsense

All valid points. What I see is a University that has allowed itself for years to become a mess, and a University that still lacks a few strong people at the top who can not only make decisions, but can control who speaks. I don't understand how a corporation/university can have so many voices speaking for it. Imagine Apple having 10 different people speaking to the media instead of Tim Cook, or someone Cook specifically appoints to speak on a specific topic, like his CFO.

But let me also add that some of this is media driven. There are so many media outlets these days and all of them want to scoop a story and/or provide a provocative headline that generates clicks. As an example, Brett McMurphy's Twitter post (I think it was on Twitter) provided no substance. But one of the people at UM who is unhappy wanted that narrative to be released, and McMurphy wants to write that post which means nothing other than it gets people to comment on his post, like dumbass Barry Jackson did. And like my dumbass is doing right now.

So what I see is a University with weak leadership that may make the right decisions, but which is completely unable to shut up its own people, and apparently unable to remove those who are trying to subvert this process. And I see media who are circling around the school like sharks making themselves available to anyone with a gripe because it furthers the interests of the media member. Clickbait.

So where does this lead? Who knows. I for one will choose to be an optimist until I am proven wrong because living life as a pessimist or skeptic seems horrible. I will add that if I was President Frenk, I would have some heads removed when this is done. I would basically go Michael Corleone at the end of Godfather 1 and kill of Tattaglia, Bodzini, Epstein and settle all family business on one day.
1000 percent

Advertisement
Agreed with everything up to this point. SC was a **** show. They also strung out the Helton saga over 7 years. My SC friends would DEF disagree with how everything was handled until literally this year, and the media was still killing them during this process until they caught everyone by surprise and landed Riley. Bohn is obviously a very good AD but they still were receiving a lot of criticism for the Urban gaffe last year and then bringing Helton back only to fire him early this season as well.

Let me clarify, my brother;

Before Bohn, u r absolutely right. Between Haden & Swann, it was a chit show. It was a completely disorganized. The ONLY reason Helton was brought back b/c SC won the Pac-12 South. He was not Bohn’s choice; Swann was the one that ridiculously extended him. However, it was made clear he was on thin ice; as a matter of fact, I commented on this. Helton had zero room for error.

But it was already agreed he had zero room, b/c SC finally got their heads out their ***. What I was referring to was the fact SC truly moved in silence. Only a few had a clue, but the Riley hire came as a complete surprise, but they already had a big board & worked it.

yes-but time will tell..its not impossible to come out of this smelling like roses...give it a couple weeks.

Brother you gotta stop listening to these Ppl that cover the team..their info is the part that’s unreliable and is the cause of confusion. Canes Twitter and message boards has become a echo chamber..as for the BJ part, he got himself fired imo based on the stunt he pulled prior to the NC state...that caused (obviousl) a rift between the ppl in the football building vs the leadership in the Sports Admin..and that seemingly caused The school president to take the action he took with James

now the SC part i fully agree with. The reason why they were aligned is simple to me..they Had a AD in place..Miami’ fired theirs. So now your stuck with a few Ppl who were aligned with bj and his plan in the sports department..vs the school administration..and the some of the former leaking **** to make it seem like the decision makers are all over the place...when i step back and look it seems clear to me that those Bj loyalist have absolutely no say in the new direction..and they want a say..so the only tactic they have to be involved is getting into the ear of some the miami media who want to be first to have a story..and certain media Ppl in hast to give Miami fans a scoop are regurgitating **** they hear and giving it oxygen.

ultimately it’s clear..Their are very few who will have a legitimate say in the New Ad..and that’s how it should be. It can’t be a power play if the ones with ACTUAL power are the decision makers in the room...all the other **** is just noise and nonsense

“Brother you gotta stop listening to these Ppl that cover the team..their info is the part that’s unreliable and is the cause of confusion.”

That’s point of the OP. Lol.

These “sources” are coming from w/in my guy. It’s a tug-o-war from w/in & that’s a problem.

Advertisement
Back