The UiF Credit Card Fraud Scandal Thickens

Just thinking out loud here (and based on the allegations, as we know them)...

Enterprise? Check -- football players, arguably associated in fact for the commission of multiple criminal acts.
Common plan made with intent to deceive/defraud? Check -- easy one.
Pattern? Check -- multiple counts involving the same general acts of credit card fraud involving student accounts.
Predicate Act? Check -- credit card fraud.

RICO? It would take a very aggressive AUSA, but based on the allegations out there a RICO case could arguably be charged (at least to the kids using the UF bookstore accounts).

Wasnt their head of student housing fired because of credit card fraud?

Yeah, the Housing Director was allegedly pulling $180k in credit card fraud. On the surface, it would seem like a separate, unrelated fraud, but then again, who knows at this point?

They probably audited everyone with a UF CC. Doubt its related but who knows.

Advertisement
Could not have come at a worst time........... Equifax breach will culminate in the Feds having to markedly increase the penalty for such behavior. The Feds' only option right now is to elevate the repercussions for such activity. With ~144,000,000 stolen IDs, the country will stop paying off their debt if even a fraction of those citizens lose their credit standing.

If the majority of the country experiences credit fraud, what is the motivation to continue paying off your debt.

Moreover, credit card system is built for 7% delinquencies, school debt is even lower and car debt is at 3%. What happens if those delinquency rates triple, quadruple or quintuple......... Anyway......... When these fools finally make it to trial, the penalties will be severe for this type of crime.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Yeah its all fun till American Express calls you and asks if you had food delivery service in Gainesville . . .

"Telfort is also accused of using stolen credit card numbers to pay for food delivery to his dorm on several occasions. In one order, he allegedly charged $22.82 to have Chester's Hot Fries, Funyuns, Gatorade, Sour Patch Kids and Gummi Worms delivered to his dorm."

Someone had a serious case of the munchies. Was he hanging out with Robinson and Miller that night?

Funny thing is, not a single one of us would have made the same order if we were in the same situation. We would have done some classy delivery like Waffle House!

Could not have come at a worst time........... Equifax breach will culminate in the Feds having to markedly increase the penalty for such behavior. The Feds' only option right now is to elevate the repercussions for such activity. With ~144,000,000 stolen IDs, the country will stop paying off their debt if even a fraction of those citizens lose their credit standing.

If the majority of the country experiences credit fraud, what is the motivation to continue paying off your debt.

Moreover, credit card system is built for 7% delinquencies, school debt is even lower and car debt is at 3%. What happens if those delinquency rates triple, quadruple or quintuple......... Anyway......... When these fools finally make it to trial, the penalties will be severe for this type of crime.

A convicted defendant is entitled to the less severe punishment between the punishment that was law when the crime was committed and the punishment that exists at the time of sentencing (assuming it has changed). More severe punishment at sentencing than was possible at the time of commission of the crime would be unconstitutional.

Advertisement
Gotta wonder if Scarlett and Calloway get booted.

There is nothing to wonder. Those boys will not play another down at UiF. ****, and they all better pray that they don't face jail time.

McElwain is not stupid. He's scared to death because he knows that he desperately needs Scarlett and Calloway in order to make another run at the SEC East. The loss of the other guys will hurt depth which will become a factor later in the season.

They should be 0-3 and he knows it.

What do our resident Esquires think? RVA Cane? Franchise? Felony 2???

I'm a zoning and development guy... I'll yield to [MENTION=4841]The Franchise[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1846]TheOriginalCane[/MENTION].

LOIC

Removing 10 scholly's a year for 4 years would cripple a program. It would be well deserved.

Advertisement
Listening to the Finebaum show at work. It's hilarious, no mention of lack of control, no mention of a significant punishment because "most are guilty by association"

Remove 10 schollys a year for 4 years with bowl ban of same time frame for the lack of disciplinary action taken

I'm not into bdsm or getting an aneurysm so my overall exposure to Ol' Pawl is limited but you shoulda heard that clown when the Ole **** dirt first started trickling out. He said it was a huge nuthinburger and vouched for Freeze's character on air. Of course it doesn't matter because Ol' Pawl's base audience are all SEC cultists but it was still insane to hear.

Oh trust me, if I wasn't working with two Texas A & M alums right now I wouldn't be listening to him. They're even here laughing their *** off at this.

Wait, you work at a car wash?

What do our resident Esquires think? RVA Cane? Franchise? Felony 2???

From what I've heard, the two guys with the most charges (including Telfort) are in the worst negotiating positions with the state attorney. The rest will likely use that good ol' boy Huntley to cut deals, but I'd imagine that UF (the administration, NOT the Athletic Department) will push for most of the players to be booted from the team, particularly upperclassmen with any prior disciplinary actions.

Did Scarlet tell his GF that the "money" come from an agent? Like that is normal and expected?

Advertisement
Back