The two biggest things Sam Bruce brings to the table

Advertisement
Sam just needs to be an Artavis Scott for us and I will be more than happy

You mean the best receiver in the conference who does nothing but score touchdowns and is averaging 85 catches a year headed into his junior season?

Yeah, I think we'd all be more than happy with that.

Again, I love having him on board. But I've yet to see how an elite short area burst guy with elite moves and quickness could be held to 9 yards per catch over the course of an entire season in high school, especially on a team with multiple weapons that didn't allow opponents to focus on Sam.

Easy answer to your question, not being used properly and not having a good qb, he can be lethal with Kaaya. Another poster awhile back asked the same question, the two years Bruce have been at STA it was horrible playcalling even though they had great success. His junior year their coach isolated Peete by himself instead of allowing bruce to use his best trait, which is not his quickness but his route running like I've been trying to tell you guys, look at all the past recent greats wrs from SFL, they have one trait in common, good route running. Bruce could have even been lethal in the slot position at STA but their combination routes were not designed for him to get big stats and thats not even an excuse its the truth. Stats mean little if your are not designed to get them.

In all fairness to Berrios, he had to play in James Coley's offence for two years. That's enough to make any slot receiver look terrible. Berrios, and Bruce, will look really good next year in a Richt O.
Bruce starts over Berrios day 1 no doubt. And im not a berrios hater by any means, I just don't think he can break tackles worth a ****. Bruce is the biggest playmaker we've picked up since Duke. Size isn't great but I'll be damned if this kid doesn't have the highest of high caliber athleticism and drive.

Advertisement
steve smith ran a 4.39 40

there's no reason to think that with a college strength program that bruce can't get down to 4.4-4.45 range.

Will he be as good as smith? I doubt it but who knows.

Steve Smith was elite in space, and was exceptional at going up for the ball despite his size. Panthers would run 5-6 bubble screens a game to him and he would bound to break one for a massive gain

I'm a Panthers fan, so perhaps I'm biased, but Steve Smith in his prime is probably the best WR of this era.

Those 'smoke' screens were deadly - partly because it became a punt return when he got the ball in his hands, partly because if the CB came up and jammed him he had the speed to run away from anyone on a streak.

I haven't seen anything from Bruce to suggest he's remotely that talented - besides being a similar size and build. We'll see of course, he has 3 / 4 years to develop.

You aren't biased, dude dominated games at 5'9, and he's was an outside guy. Not your typical short slot.

He was a unicorn

I don't think you're biased. But then again, I'm from Charlotte and love the panthers too! ha

You mean the best receiver in the conference who does nothing but score touchdowns and is averaging 85 catches a year headed into his junior season?

I would rather make that comparison instead of potential hall of famer in Steve Smith. Shoot if he equals Ryan Switzer production I will be more than happy.

I would rather make that comparison instead of potential hall of famer in Steve Smith. Shoot if he equals Ryan Switzer production I will be more than happy.

Fair. I don't think he is as dynamic as Scott, but then again I just looked at Scott's stat line for last season and he averaged 9.7 yards per catch. Part of that is that a huge part of Clemson's game is screens, but still a very doable number for Bruce.

Switzer is the comparison I would actually make though. Also like Ace Sanders for Skerlina.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Fair. I don't think he is as dynamic as Scott, but then again I just looked at Scott's stat line for last season and he averaged 9.7 yards per catch. Part of that is that a huge part of Clemson's game is screens, but still a very doable number for Bruce.

Switzer is the comparison I would actually make though. Also like Ace Sanders for Skerlina.

Maybe he won't have the same production as Scott because Clemson throws it a ton but hopefully Bruce has the same type of impact. But I do think he is plenty dynamic. People questioning his long speed need to compare their ESPN measurables coming out of HS. Scotts were 5'11 179 running a 4.62 and Bruces' at 5'8 183 with a 4.53 40. So Bruce might actually be faster than Scott.

But like I said I would take as a Ryan Switzer type for the canes.

Last edited:
If you have watched Sam Bruce over the years you would know that each year he gained an extra gear. From his days at uschool to this year he had gotten a lot faster. We can expect for him to continue that jump when he gets a college program training him. Remember dorsett didn't come in running anything close to a 4.3 40. Kids improve their speed all the time at Miami. With that being said Bruce has more than enough speed and can be explosive with the ball in his hand when he gets the opportunity. People love to talk about Sam Bruce size but if you haven't noticed he is not small by any means he weighs about 185+ and he can catch a pass over anyone no matter the height of the db....

PD was in the 4.40 range as a true freshman. I want to say maybe even better.

No, PD ran a 4.5 his Freshman year

listen guys!! What makes Bruce elite is he can change directions at top or almost near top speed without slowing down....He can almost change 90 degrees without slowing down thaths when he separates.... Thats the xplosive part about him.. It takes him a while to get to top speed unlike lets say Stacy Coley who is at top speed on his second third step. Bruce is not a WR screen type of reciever....he is a double move type and tough great hands over the middle type of reciever..Go look at his tape even from sophomore and junior year..his longest catches are on double moves..He wont just run past you as a WR on a go route

Lol at he's not a screen type of wr

Advertisement
[video=youtube;oB__HJX28v8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB__HJX28v8[/video]

[video=youtube;-2er9ixrIOI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2er9ixrIOI[/video]

^this is a very brief display of richts offense. they said he would run the same play five times in a row at FSU until someone could stop him (not sure, haven't seen evidence of that but clearly it worked)

berrios and bruce specifically are perfect for the shallow cross or choice. Ahmmon richards and stacy coley deep on the corner

this WR group is going to be incredible with kaaya

Good stuff

Steve Smith ran a 4.41 at 5-9, 184, with a 1.51 10- yard shuttle, 10'1" broad jump, 38.5" vertical, 4.25 short-shuttle, and 7.44 3-cone. I hope he fell down, broke a leg, and then dragged himself across the finish line on that 3-cone, which ranked 249th out of 252 WR's to run it since 1999. Jarvis Landry actually the worst time at 7.55.

That broad jump is pretty pedestrian as well, as he finished tied for 187th out of 252 WR's since 1999. His vertical was good- tied for 37th. That short shuttle was tied for 225th out of 252 WR's.

The idea that Steve Smith was a great athlete is false. He's an outlier in strength, toughness, competitiveness, and sheer will.

I've been disappointed with Berrios thus far; however, his ACL injury didn't do him any favors in his senior year in HS.

Advertisement
Back