The Turf at Dolphin Stadium

Advertisement
This is just crazy that is 2017 and they cant figure this out.
I know they want to have International soccer games and stuff there but we might need to go to the artificial turf.
Which I know soccer wont play on.
But what other option do they have?

The turf was fine last year. In 2016 they had it figured it out. What they might not want to do is have a concert just over a week before the season starts next year which forces them to tear up the field. That started a chain of events where the turf never has gotten anytime to be rooted in without rain and wear and tear ******** it up.

This actually makes sense. Sounds like this is why it happened.

In one of the other turf threads someone mentioned that the construction equipment damaged the drainage system during the remodel and they never had time to fix it but I'm not sure if there is any validity to that claim. I think the most likely culprit is the new roof is simply not allowing the field to get enough sunlight.

Field Turf needs to be installed at Hard Rock as the playing field has been atrocious the past few years. I don’t think that the hot weather can be used as an excuse. Both the Orange Bowl and UF's stadium had the old style astroturf in the 70s so there is history. And basically every NFL and college team in Texas (which is just as hot as Florida) has field turf. Many high schools too. Today's field turf is light years ahead of the old stuff.

As for the soccer reason, I'm a big EPL fan, and if I recall correctly, at Giants Stadium they would place a temporary grass field over the astroturf whenever there were games involving European teams like the 1996 All Star Game. Nothing wrong in laying down grass for an occasional event instead of it being the reason that primary revenue tenants have to play on grass.

Field Turf needs to be installed at Hard Rock as the playing field has been atrocious the past few years. I don’t think that the hot weather can be used as an excuse. Both the Orange Bowl and UF's stadium had the old style astroturf in the 70s so there is history. And basically every NFL and college team in Texas (which is just as hot as Florida) has field turf. Many high schools too. Today's field turf is light years ahead of the old stuff.

As for the soccer reason, I'm a big EPL fan, and if I recall correctly, at Giants Stadium they would place a temporary grass field over the astroturf whenever there were games involving European teams like the 1996 All Star Game. Nothing wrong in laying down grass for an occasional event instead of it being the reason that primary revenue tenants have to play on grass.

The playing surface was fine last year. You can see the highlights from last year here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDwdbq4k0wfw2v8WpiaYzwg/videos. The field was great. Even held up when it rained against Pitt

[video=youtube;Eer2kN6kt0Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eer2kN6kt0Q[/video]

Advertisement
Wasn’t there an issue with the field last year with the Orange Bowl game and the Dolphins-Patriots game?

The playing surface was fine last year. You can see the highlights from last year here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDwdbq4k0wfw2v8WpiaYzwg/videos. The field was great. Even held up when it rained against Pitt

Wasn’t there an issue with the field last year with the Orange Bowl game and the Dolphins-Patriots game?

Yes, the field held up well, but the biggest impact is when there are multiple uses of the field within days of each other with the second game getting the shaft. The UM-Pittsburgh game was followed the very next day by the Jets @ Dolphins. And yes, I do recall the condition of the field being an issue with the Orange Bowl between Clemson & Oklahoma (12.31.15) and Patriots @ Dolphins (1.3.16) being close to each other the season before.

Same thing going to happen this season with Orange Bowl (Dec 30 night game) and the Dolphins-Bills game (Dec 31 @ 100p)

I guess UM fans don't get the brunt of the bad field of play as their games are always before the Dolphins games so they don't see the big deal. But I'm sure if the Dolphins had a Thursday night home game and the Canes had a home game 2 days later (or if the Orange Bowl game fell after a Dolphins game) and the field was coming apart then us Canes fans would feel differently.

Last edited:

Yes, the field held up well, but the biggest impact is when there are multiple uses of the field within days of each other with the second game getting the shaft. The UM-Pittsburgh game was followed the very next day by the Jets @ Dolphins. And yes, I do recall the condition of the field being an issue with the Orange Bowl between Clemson & Oklahoma (12.31.15) and Patriots @ Dolphins (1.3.16) being close to each other the season before.

Same thing going to happen this season with Orange Bowl (Dec 30 night game) and the Dolphins-Bills game (Dec 31 @ 100p)

I guess UM fans don't get the brunt of the bad field of play as their games are always before the Dolphins games so they don't see the big deal. But I'm sure if the Dolphins had a Thursday night home game and the Canes had a home game 2 days later (or if the Orange Bowl game fell after a Dolphins game) and the field was coming apart then us Canes fans would feel differently.

The field was in good condition for the Jets-Dolphins game that followed the Miami-Pitt game: [video=youtube;mpIDQR8XFtk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpIDQR8XFtk[/video]

Your examples from late 2015 and early 2016 are a different issue altogether. There was no canopy in place and I would bet the field conditions had more to do with replacing the field for the bowl game combined with rain and it not having an opportunity to take root as opposed to it being a heavy usage thing.

After looking at the highlights of that Pats-Dolphins game, the grounds crew did a good job of laying new sod in rough spots along with replacing spots that had Orange Bowl/Capital One logos on them. The field was fine that day too.

This is the first year since since 2007 that field has had playability problems.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Field seemed better last week. In any case, at this point I find it to be an advantage for the Canes. Our guys have played on it and seem to have figured something out on how to deal with it. Seemed like VT was the only guys slipping and sliding on Saturday.

Advertisement
its an airflow and sun thing im guessing. Roof provides less sun on the field and grass needs airflow or it wont grow. that's why so many golf courses are cutting trees down. creates more air flow/better growing conditions for the greens that have to be cut down so tight. With that roof I think we need to go with the new synthetic turf stuff.

The new sod was installed on Tuesday. They are lining the field this morning.

They need to line it with the strain Hollands Hope. "Hollands Hope is a perfect outdoor plant. It has a sweet flavor and medium strength and comes highly recommended." Problem solved. :kiwi-fruit:

I thought it was much better last week at least for us since we were the first to use it. Should be in good shape come Saturday night. Cant believe they have to re-sod after every game. What a nightmare.

Advertisement
It would likely cost tens of millions to retrofit Hard Rock Stadium for this but here's how they do it at Arizona Cardinals Stadium, which has the same issue given its retractable roof. The entire stadium playing surface is on a movable rail surface which slides in and out of the stadium.

[video=youtube;EUs70OZnqpc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUs70OZnqpc[/video]

It would likely cost tens of millions to retrofit Hard Rock Stadium for this but here's how they do it at Arizona Cardinals Stadium, which has the same issue given its retractable roof. The entire stadium playing surface is on a movable rail surface which slides in and out of the stadium.

Hundreds of millions of dollars to do it, the scope of the project is insane.

RoRT0qD.jpg

Especially when you consider the angle the field sits at in the stadium.

rVEUWx5.jpg

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that will never be available to do here.

Advertisement
Back