The Turf at Dolphin Stadium

The field just isn't drying properly due to the roof.

They either need to come up with a better method for drying it, or just replace it with artificial turf as a last resort.

In this kind of condition it just increases our risk of injury.
I figured the drainage system was flawed or something, but the roof explanation makes sense. Thanks for the perspective.

Doesn't exclude flawed drainage system too. Business people can be almost as inept as government. Dolphins play on virtual concrete skating rink for several years back in the OB -- remember Polyturf?

Advertisement

the more traction you get on the field or court, the higher the risk of injury.

This would appear to contradict statements about the injury risk rising on our turf.

Yes, thanks for the link Jimmy, but doesn't seem to support your theory.
As Ive understood it, it's straightforward in all the studies. The less "give" in traction when players make a cut or plant, the higher the risk of injury. If someone has any evidence to disprove that, please share. Would love to learn.

Always have to check the funding of any study. Give me data and the paycheck, and I can guarantee that 2 plus 2 will equal whatever you want it to. Never trust a study -- scientific or otherwise. People who do them are wholes, especially scientists and academics. Whores never tell Johns that thing is little. You want your grant money, you dang well better find a way to say the thing being paid for.

Trust you eyes. Where do you see the most injuries happening? That is a good measure as any you read. At least your eyes are not being paid.

This would appear to contradict statements about the injury risk rising on our turf.

As Ive understood it, it's straightforward in all the studies. The less "give" in traction when players make a cut or plant, the higher the risk of injury. If someone has any evidence to disprove that, please share. Would love to learn.

It’s hard to pin down.

I’ve seen people blow out knees because their plant foot “stuck” and their body twisted in a different direction, applying hundreds of pounds of torsional force on the only place to release that energy, the knee joint/ligaments.

I blew out my left knee on a wet field sliding, my foot didn’t get twisted, I still don’t know how it happened because I don’t remember my foot ever being planted, I just ended up face up. I got up ran off and didn’t even know I had any knee damage until like 5-10 minutes later, when I could barely walk on that leg.

I think there are so many factors in a knee injury, the energy forces acting on that poorly designed joint can come from many different angles, directions, and can have multiple simultaneous forces acting upon it. There are just a shīt ton of weak or potential damage points on knees. Knees are the worst.

A lot of research shows that knee injuries are also a direct result of hamstring weakness compared to other parts of the leg. When the hamstring is weaker, you develop a lot of other compensation patterns in the leg, especially while the muscle is fatigued.

Advertisement

They either need to come up with a better method for drying it, or just replace it with artificial turf as a last resort.

I figured the drainage system was flawed or something, but the roof explanation makes sense. Thanks for the perspective.

Doesn't exclude flawed drainage system too. Business people can be almost as inept as government. Dolphins play on virtual concrete skating rink for several years back in the OB -- remember Polyturf?
Wasn't polyturf the one that turned blue and powdery?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

How about big blowers? We could have Trump do it, or hire a bunch of unemployed Nole & Gator fans.

Last edited:

Always have to check the funding of any study. Give me data and the paycheck, and I can guarantee that 2 plus 2 will equal whatever you want it to. Never trust a study -- scientific or otherwise. People who do them are wholes, especially scientists and academics. Whores never tell Johns that thing is little. You want your grant money, you dang well better find a way to say the thing being paid for.

Trust you eyes. Where do you see the most injuries happening? That is a good measure as any you read. At least your eyes are not being paid.

True, a lot of studies are what you describe, but not all.

Right. It goes without saying that, if you're reading a study, part of the evaluation process is critically thinking through its [possible] bias.

Advertisement
The artificial turf they use nowadays is nothing like the garbage they used in the 70’s in multipurpose stadiums. The research on whether natural grass is “safer” than the newer types of artificial turf is actually inconclusive.

Source?
Grass vs turf: Does it affect injury rate?

The point of the article is to show that despite the increased “traction” associated with Field Turf, not every study has shown an increase in injuries. To the contrary, the article points out that there are several studies that have shown a decrease in injuries on Field Turf. From the article:

A 2010 study looking at collegiate football injuries showed that FieldTurf may actually be safer than natural grass for injuries in general. This study also found no significant difference in knee injuries between surfaces. Another study in 2013 looked at injury rates between grass and artificial turf in female collegiate soccer players. This study actually showed a significantly lower total injury incidence rate and a lower rate of substantial injuries on FieldTurf. This study also showed no significant difference in knee injury rates between the two surfaces.

Since the research doesn’t give us a definitive answer regarding injury rates and artificial turf, what is the best advice regarding artificial turf? We know that the greater the traction, the higher the rate of injury. Wearing cleats made specifically for artificial turf, or better yet turf shoes, may help to decrease traction and therefore reduce lower extremity injuries.

You mean there can be honest brokers out there? Interesting. You could be right, just not in my experience but I am cynical by nature and old age has not improved me.

Tons of rain falling in the area again today.

The weather patterns have changed. The wet season used to be April-October but now it runs well into late November, early December.

Advertisement

You mean there can be honest brokers out there? Interesting. You could be right, just not in my experience but I am cynical by nature and old age has not improved me.

Your original comment made me think of this story https://www.theguardian.com/technol...-millions-academic-research-influence-opinion.

How about big blowers? We could have Trump do it, or hire a bunch of unemployed Nole & Gator fans.

Temperatures on the field with that crap was like 120. The other teams were melting. I'll have my wife send Trump(she's a big supporter) a suggestion about hiring noles and gators -- would be cheap since it would have to be a work release program.

Your original comment made me think of this story https://www.theguardian.com/technol...-millions-academic-research-influence-opinion.

Great stuff. Thank you. that was one I had not heard about but certainly no surprise. Next thing you know, tobacco companies will pay for studies to prove smoking in not harmful and people wanting to destroy the USA by denying us the use of our massive strategic advantage abundant carbon resources dreaming up crap that blames it for something. Oh crap those have already been done.

Anyway, I'm sure Apple has spent a fortune making sure there are plenty of studies showing the advantages to brain development of smart phones and proving there is no link between small handheld touch-pads and carpal tunnel syndrome from over use of thumbs. I am sure somewhere there is a study paid for by China or India that shows conclusively that outsourcing manufacturing and call center jobs is a great benefit to the American worker. Heck, it could be our government that paid for it.

Advertisement
The new turf has not been put down yet. You think there would have been a little more sense of urgency to get it done.

Is this ***wad Garfinkel planning on laying new sod or what?

102520171148_l.jpg

Advertisement
Back