The Turf at Dolphin Stadium

With all this rain this season and thunderstorms and stuff it’s about time Ross thinks about trying to install a retractable roof top to the stadium that can close when its needs to be

LOL at installing a retractable roof AFTER renovating the stadium.

Advertisement
The artificial turf they use nowadays is nothing like the garbage they used in the 70’s in multipurpose stadiums. The research on whether natural grass is “safer” than the newer types of artificial turf is actually inconclusive.

Having new sod put in is not cheap. Georgia Tech paid $90k a couple years ago for new sod. If the Dolphins are paying something close to that each time, they have spent between $350-$400k just this year. I think you can get field turf installed for around $750k.

Outdoor NFL stadiums with artificial turf...

Buffalo
Cincinnati
New York
Baltimore
New England
Seattle
...that's it.

Needless to say, I think that the Dolphins will go to an artificial surface only as a last resort. I think the biggest problem with the surface this year is that they waited until a few days before our first game to install it, and with almost constant weekly rain since then, it's turned into a cycle of field damage and replacement that they haven't been able to break from. I'm sure whatever money they made off the Coldplay concert that preceded the start of football season has been spent multiple times over trying to deal with the repercussions.

Advertisement
The problem with putting Artificial turf there is the heat for a nooner, or 1 p.m. dolphin game. Those teams up north do not have to worry about that too much. The high schools down here can do it as well as most of their games are at night. And even then, I played soccer on an artificial field on Oakland park Blvd and I felt like peeling my socks off and all we wear are socks and shin pads. They have two weeks to fix it. It was unacceptable how many players were slipping.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

With all this rain this season and thunderstorms and stuff it’s about time Ross thinks about trying to install a retractable roof top to the stadium that can close when its needs to be

LOL at installing a retractable roof AFTER renovating the stadium.
Why not. It's not like they would need to remove the current roof. Maybe add a clear cover on top. Ross is loaded

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

The artificial turf they use nowadays is nothing like the garbage they used in the 70’s in multipurpose stadiums. The research on whether natural grass is “safer” than the newer types of artificial turf is actually inconclusive.

Source?

Advertisement
I think they can get big rolls of Saran Wrap and cover the hole in the roof.

If they hurry, they might be able to get it done by the VagTech game.

The field softens hits and if you can't plant your feet to make cuts, you lessen your chances of tearing a ligament. The slippery conditions helped neutralize gt's option and syracuse's passing attack. It's a definite home field advantage.

How will it affect Notre Dame's running game?

Advertisement
The field softens hits and if you can't plant your feet to make cuts, you lessen your chances of tearing a ligament. The slippery conditions helped neutralize gt's option and syracuse's passing attack. It's a definite home field advantage.

How will it affect Notre Dame's running game?

If they run a ton of pitch plays that depend on timing, a muddy field will be a big disadvantage.

Advertisement

Source?
Grass vs turf: Does it affect injury rate?

the more traction you get on the field or court, the higher the risk of injury.

This would appear to contradict statements about the injury risk rising on our turf.

Source?

This would appear to contradict statements about the injury risk rising on our turf.

Yes, thanks for the link Jimmy, but doesn't seem to support your theory.

Source?

Yes, thanks for the link Jimmy, but doesn't seem to support your theory.
As Ive understood it, it's straightforward in all the studies. The less "give" in traction when players make a cut or plant, the higher the risk of injury. If someone has any evidence to disprove that, please share. Would love to learn.

Advertisement
Back