THE TRUTH ABOUT JUCO RECRUITING "STOP BLAMING COACHES"

Advertisement
The real issue is these high school coaches ALLOWING their STAR players to play with a 2.0 gpa! How in the world you call yourself a mentor if you're knowingly watching these kids fail in the classroom. We have a committed recruit that is taking the ACT for the first time (allegedly), two months away from signing day (crazy). We have 2015 and 2016 recruits that are already projected to go to juco. How in the world you're projected to go to juco two and three years from graduating? We lose to many talented recruits because of grades in high school. I wish they would raise the minimum gpa from 2.0 to at least a 2.7. Only thing a 2.0 does, is guarantee you will be attending juco. These high school coaches need to show a little more interest in these kids ability in the classroom and not just on the field. ***Especially these south Florida coaches.

You mean we may have to look outside of SF to find kids with intelligence to play this game the Stanford way? Hmmm....

If we can't get JUCO's then why bother or offer after you see there grades etc like Stanford?

Sandland?

Okay again why don't they recruit like Stanford and see the kids grades, scores etc before offering? why is Golden wasting his time with a JUCO he knows he can't get in?

Every state has different general requisites i think and i could be wrong the closest states to match UM would be California, Kansas, & New York.. i could be wrong though thats just a guess... I will say the player has alot to do with it too. If they go the first year only taking one math and english and some easy electives to just to be eligible will probably have a harder time graduating early and getting in Spring semester following their Rs Fr/Soph year.

the OP is funny…
but, seriously, unless a kid signs w/ UM out of hs and goes to juco w/ the intent of getting back to UM, they often haven't taken to necessary courses to transfer to UM, ala Andrew Williams. obviously others have done so, but, it's why we have trouble. if they sigh here and go to juco wanting to come back, they can work w/ UM on making sure they are taking the right courses to get back.

If we can't get JUCO's then why bother or offer after you see there grades etc like Stanford?

Sandland?

Okay again why don't they recruit like Stanford and see the kids grades, scores etc before offering? why is Golden wasting his time with a JUCO he knows he can't get in?

To your first point - Do you REALLY want us to recruit like Stanford??

To your second point - Its not that linear. We offer juco kids and give them an Ed plan designed to get them qualified for UM. Claude Pelon said in his interview that UM wanted him to complete a couple of online courses before summer. He did not want to do the extra coursework necessary to get into UM, so he will go to a school that will accept his course work, as is.

This shows that coach Golden is doing the right things with regard to recruiting juco kids (i.e.: Giving them a plan and trying to sell them on the added benefits of a UM degree.....assuming there is one.....says the mod with two degrees from Fresno State. :)

Advertisement
So do we have a problem with some JUCOs? Or some players? Because we've had plenty of JUCOs in the past. I'm not going to name them all, but we had them in the 80s, 90s, 2000s, and we've had them recently. I realize we've always had more trouble than big state schools in getting JUCOs in, and we've never been a K-State that takes like 10 JUCOs a year, but are all JUCOs not created equally? Or do our admission standards just make it harder for JUCOs to get in, and it's on a case by case / player by player basis?

Not true. We always had some, but the staffs regarded them as something of a last resort. Usually they were a backup when we had to fill a pressing need. Coaches at UM never liked relying on Jucos. Ever since the mid-80's we often had trouble getting them in.

If any of you would take the time and trouble to study the website of ASA, Cory Johnson's school, you'd realize it's little more than a trade school calling itself a junior college.

So do we have a problem with some JUCOs? Or some players? Because we've had plenty of JUCOs in the past. I'm not going to name them all, but we had them in the 80s, 90s, 2000s, and we've had them recently. I realize we've always had more trouble than big state schools in getting JUCOs in, and we've never been a K-State that takes like 10 JUCOs a year, but are all JUCOs not created equally? Or do our admission standards just make it harder for JUCOs to get in, and it's on a case by case / player by player basis?

Not true. We always had some, but the staffs regarded them as something of a last resort. Usually they were a backup when we had to fill a pressing need. Coaches at UM never liked relying on Jucos. Ever since the mid-80's we often had trouble getting them in.

If any of you would take the time and trouble to study the website of ASA, Cory Johnson's school, you'd realize it's little more than a trade school calling itself a junior college.

I think the juco issue is one that has become an issue since Donna took over. Over the decades we've had some high quality JuCo players. Guys like Wesley Carroll, Tim Kalil, Duane Starks, Michael Boireau, Jerome McDougal, Bryant McKinnie, Shockey, and Andrew Williams.

Of course most of these jucos got into UM back when it was considered an academic joke of a university.... Ya know, back when most of the alumni posters here graduated from UM. :newman:

How does USC get JUCO's? I know Miami = Havard but how?

Part of the issue is WHERE the JUCO is. Im betting USC gets more JUCO kids from Cali JUCOs which probably tailor their programs to make it easier to get into Cali schools. In Virginia for example, the JUCO system is designed so that you can move into the state University system after a few years.

Problem for UM is that there arent really any of these football JUCOS in Florida. Most are either in Cali or in the South and they are geared towards the lowest common denominator.

Yep only states with Juco football that i know of are California,Texas,Kansas,Georgia, minnesota, Utah,Arizona, Pennsylvania and New York... I believe Virginia only have Prep schools i could be wrong im going off what i could remember back in 02'

Oklahoma.

mirvin88
sorry that I was typing fast and didnt consider the grammatical errors but if you really want to be a hardass I have two diplomas one in biochemistry/molecular bio , and the other is from Johns Hopkins in clinical investigation. I study rare cerebral disease for a living its actually called adrenoleukodystophy ever heard of it SMART ***.......
Have you read some of the other stuff on here... Wow smh

Sorry Tony, you are simply not good enough for this board! :)

Advertisement
Hello All,
As a die hard miami fan and former prepschool and college football player I have to comment on the issues surrounding juco recruiting. The majority of these issues are not the coaches faul so stop blaming the Miami coaches. Juco colleges are built more in regards to a credit and hour system in contrast to a weighted full academic system which heavily weighs each course the credit hours and GPA. Most Juco are built on a system to keep players eligible to play meaning a certain low gpa and as many credit hours as possible. Most juco coaches have their kids get over loaded with meaningles credits that allow for the player to remain eligible with some room for a failed class or two. Most jucos which are public have a board that makes it mandatory for their level of academics to translate to the majority of public schools within the state. So when you look at the great wealth of talent in these mississippi and southern jucos please know that unles they went to an academic advisor and geared their specific academic track toward entrance into a private college, it is going to be almost impossible depending obviously on the college. Most private colleges will apply their weighing system to the classes and credits that are being transfered. Their is a minimum number of credits each institution sets for addmissions to their school, and for class placement. For the most part about 95% of the time these juco credits onced weighed are always less than the private university credits and therefore these students come up short or have to take extra classes to be admitted. Mind you we havent even gotten to GPA. This is the culture of all major juco sports. Its not the best system. Most juco get away with overloading meanlings credits by stating their mission is to help the student attain an associates from their institution , but the majority of atheletes never attain that and transfer out which they should. Miami is a great academic institution not many junior college classes will survive their weighing system, this is the case for most private colleges. If your wondering how I know this I had juco offers , but my sister was a juco all american in basketball and could not transfer where she wanted to. Three of my close friends and teamates went to major jucos Peal river, College of the Canyons, and east mississippi. So please stop crying about the coaching staff.....

You expect me to take anything serious from you regarding academics with this wall of text and grammatical errors?

He already stated he went to prep school.

Sandland?

Could be like a Bond issue where the kid says he's doing well in school but really he's failing classes. You want Golden to hold every recruits hand and make sure they are going to class or doing the right things to get in? At some point you have to put some of the blame on the kids for not working hard enough in school to make it to where he wants to be.

Part of the issue is WHERE the JUCO is. Im betting USC gets more JUCO kids from Cali JUCOs which probably tailor their programs to make it easier to get into Cali schools. In Virginia for example, the JUCO system is designed so that you can move into the state University system after a few years.

Problem for UM is that there arent really any of these football JUCOS in Florida. Most are either in Cali or in the South and they are geared towards the lowest common denominator.

Yep only states with Juco football that i know of are California,Texas,Kansas,Georgia, minnesota, Utah,Arizona, Pennsylvania and New York... I believe Virginia only have Prep schools i could be wrong im going off what i could remember back in 02'

Oklahoma.

Forgot about NEO and the Great Jeremy Shockey

Majority of their JuCo's are from an institution in California following the Cal State requirements which made it easy for me to transfer to SDSU as it wouldve been easy to transfer to UCLA,USC,SJSU,FRESNO ST.,UC DAVIS etc... The juco system out there is HUGE get players all across the country they don't need to go elsewhere. They don't offer scholarships. After you become a Cali resident though school is cheap as ****. Arnold gave them the hook up with all sorts of grants. I dont know how it is now,but it was super chill after i got my residency.

Isn't USC a private school? They alsways seem to use a lot of JUCOs; do they conform their standards to the state schools?

Advertisement
mirvin88
sorry that I was typing fast and didnt consider the grammatical errors but if you really want to be a hardass I have two diplomas one in biochemistry/molecular bio , and the other is from Johns Hopkins in clinical investigation. I study rare cerebral disease for a living its actually called adrenoleukodystophy ever heard of it SMART ***.......
Have you read some of the other stuff on here... Wow smh

Sorry Tony, you are simply not good enough for this board! :)

Tony, I suffer from fat fingers myself. Some of our board seem excell in typing. Being a vey old man, when I went to HS, only the dummies not headed to college took typing. Who knew that secretaries would go extinct and the PC would be born. I attemped to take it -- all the chics were it in -- but the Brother in charge of the school seem to think I would be better served in a pilot program he wanted to start. So at lunch I drove to a university and took Economics three days a week. So now I understand supply/demand curves just fine, but type with two infhgers and the hunt and peck method.

I get that Miami is a great academic institution, but in order to compete against other schools in football there needs to be some equal ground. A kid that's a great player cannot get in here but then gets accepted by other colleges like Louisville, just how do you compete on the field.

We are a university first and foremost. A kid that cannot get into Miami can also get accepted by South Alabama. What's your point. We aren't South Alabama, we aren't Louisville....nor should we be.

Great post by the OP. Sounds like he knows what the F he is talking about and not just using the ole' "AL NEEDS TO FIND A WAY TO GET IT DONE BY ANY MEANS" BS. Like the **** is Malcolm X or some ****. ("By any means necessary") Smh.

Cory Johnson basically came out and said if he has to take an online course to get into UM, then SEE YA! How is that Als fault? Certain **** I do blame Al for. (Like not jumping on Lamont Gilliard ALOT sooner. Didnt his HS coach post that that was the reason he didnt warm up to us? Al was late to the party?)

Anyway, we just gonna have to do this **** like Butch did it back in 97' and start from scratch at the DT spot this year. What else can we do? Im all for the "waiver wire" idea but this JUCO stuff is starting to wear on me. Its really hit or miss and if you miss you are phucked.

Advertisement
I get that Miami is a great academic institution, but in order to compete against other schools in football there needs to be some equal ground. A kid that's a great player cannot get in here but then gets accepted by other colleges like Louisville, just how do you compete on the field.

We are a university first and foremost. A kid that cannot get into Miami can also get accepted by South Alabama. What's your point. We aren't South Alabama, we aren't Louisville....nor should we be.

The point is don't complain about 8 or 9 win seasons if you cannot get players into your school that other schools can. I understand that we are a university first and very proud of there high standing. Unfortunately many of the great players are football smart first and not book smart. Most of these kids with low grade point average will never be a Doctor or a Lawyer, but with football may have a chance at a high paying career in the NFL.

California JUCO plays have (3) levels of classes they can take - (1) Classes transferable to the UC system (will transfer anywhere), (2) classes transferable to the Cal State systems (not all classes transfer, (3) AS degree classes, which will not transfer. All you need is transferable credits and an AA degree to get into most 4 year schools. Taking anything less than level one classes makes it hard to get into tier one 4 year schools.

+++++This....My son is currently at College of The Siskiyous in Cali and his classes are in the UC level which will transfer to any school in the US or abroad, I verified this with each school that recruited him including UM

Majority of their JuCo's are from an institution in California following the Cal State requirements which made it easy for me to transfer to SDSU as it wouldve been easy to transfer to UCLA,USC,SJSU,FRESNO ST.,UC DAVIS etc... The juco system out there is HUGE get players all across the country they don't need to go elsewhere. They don't offer scholarships. After you become a Cali resident though school is cheap as ****. Arnold gave them the hook up with all sorts of grants. I dont know how it is now,but it was super chill after i got my residency.

Isn't USC a private school? They alsways seem to use a lot of JUCOs; do they conform their standards to the state schools?

Im not sure... They right next to the hood though in compton.... UCLA is literally down the road like FAMU/TCC is to FSU

Advertisement
Back