THE TRUTH ABOUT JUCO RECRUITING "STOP BLAMING COACHES"

The loss of juco players is on UM's admissions, not the coaches. As Dolpterry mentioned in post #2 is what really bother's me. Why is it that UM will admit high school graduates based on the NCAA minimum standards if they're coming in on an athletic scholarship yet they won't make that equation for juco kids. Normally its not too much of a problem but due to two horrible coaching hires and the NCAA investigation mess, we're in need of juco kids. We shouldnt be recruiting juco kids normally.

I agree whole heartedly. Do you see the admissions staff changing that policy any time soon?

Advertisement
Appreciate the insights TonyG. Its a sad but true reality. There are many big state diploma mills that can get kids in with pretty much any credits or grades, but UM's standards are tougher than back in the old days. Im sure the coaches do all they can to get these kids in, but in the end, UM is still an institution of higher learning, and there is only so much wiggle room they can make with regard to their standards.

A kid would have to be really committed to wanting to come to the U, and the fact is, most of these kids dont care, they just want to play, they took the path of least resistance in HS most of the time, and that's not going to change now.

The JUCO recruiting world is about to change big time in college football and college hoops. There is a huge student athlete academic reform coming in 2016, which is going to require JUCO transfer candidates to have a 2.5 GPA to transfer. This is actually higher than the new requirement for high school graduates (2.3 now). If you don't think this is a HUGE deal, you're wrong. A 2.5 GPA is much higher than most universities require for admission for student athletes and most JUCO kids don't have that kind of GPA. It's a game changer

Link: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8236949/

Last edited:
The loss of juco players is on UM's admissions, not the coaches. As Dolpterry mentioned in post #2 is what really bother's me. Why is it that UM will admit high school graduates based on the NCAA minimum standards if they're coming in on an athletic scholarship yet they won't make that equation for juco kids. Normally its not too much of a problem but due to two horrible coaching hires and the NCAA investigation mess, we're in need of juco kids. We shouldnt be recruiting juco kids normally.

I agree whole heartedly. Do you see the admissions staff changing that policy any time soon?

**** no UM is not going to change those policies and standards. UM is working hard to try to move up the rankings and join the elite universities in the country. While I think they do care about football, Shalala and the BOT are not going to slash standards to get in one or two JUCO football players a year.

Advertisement
The real issue is these high school coaches ALLOWING their STAR players to play with a 2.0 gpa! How in the world you call yourself a mentor if you're knowingly watching these kids fail in the classroom. We have a committed recruit that is taking the ACT for the first time (allegedly), two months away from signing day (crazy). We have 2015 and 2016 recruits that are already projected to go to juco. How in the world you're projected to go to juco two and three years from graduating? We lose to many talented recruits because of grades in high school. I wish they would raise the minimum gpa from 2.0 to at least a 2.7. Only thing a 2.0 does, is guarantee you will be attending juco. These high school coaches need to show a little more interest in these kids ability in the classroom and not just on the field. ***Especially these south Florida coaches.

HS coaches aren't entirely to blame. The kids have to be responsible for failing too. I mean im a walking testimony to that. I had a brother and uncle at the University of Arkansas. My brother best friend one time UM commit ended up at Butler (KS) then Transferred to San Francisco City College. All of them were in my ear as a 9th grader to get a 3.0 gpa or higher and take the SAT/ACT until i passed with a 900/18 or above. I had my parents in my ear along with my coaches. You think i listened??? NO!!!! I didnt take my SAT until my senior year... I didnt pass until late May. By that time every school including 1-AA backed off and i went the Junior college route. If i wouldve listened to them i wouldve been Rebel but it didnt work out cause like many of these kids now are stubborn.

Coaches and parents can be the main ones to blame but the kids are just as responsible.

I appreciate the info, but I can say with all honesty that I have not seen one poster blaming the coaching staff. Im pretty sure most around here are well aware of the challenges of getting into UM from JUCO.

How does USC get JUCO's? I know Miami = Havard but how?

Part of the issue is WHERE the JUCO is. Im betting USC gets more JUCO kids from Cali JUCOs which probably tailor their programs to make it easier to get into Cali schools. In Virginia for example, the JUCO system is designed so that you can move into the state University system after a few years.

Problem for UM is that there arent really any of these football JUCOS in Florida. Most are either in Cali or in the South and they are geared towards the lowest common denominator.

Majority of their JuCo's are from an institution in California following the Cal State requirements which made it easy for me to transfer to SDSU as it wouldve been easy to transfer to UCLA,USC,SJSU,FRESNO ST.,UC DAVIS etc... The juco system out there is HUGE get players all across the country they don't need to go elsewhere. They don't offer scholarships. After you become a Cali resident though school is cheap as ****. Arnold gave them the hook up with all sorts of grants. I dont know how it is now,but it was super chill after i got my residency.

Advertisement

I know this is going to be a waste because you just can't believe that there might be something else at play beside our coaches sucking, but whatever. I'm from California originally. Those California and West Coast schools are designed to get kids into their home state school systems. We had three JUCOs around where I grew up. All three were geared to send kids to UC schools, USC, Cal State Schools, Arizona schools and Hawaii. The whole system and structure is designed to get those kids into those systems. They have academic plans based on what school system you want to get into that helps create the right credit amounts and types to get in. It's like a road map. I'm sure all of those schools have one for the University of Miami (not). But I'm sure you will find away to blame Golden, Shalala, Schnelly, Michael Irvin, the Ibis etc. for why we can't get JC kids into our school

California JUCO plays have (3) levels of classes they can take - (1) Classes transferable to the UC system (will transfer anywhere), (2) classes transferable to the Cal State systems (not all classes transfer, (3) AS degree classes, which will not transfer. All you need is transferable credits and an AA degree to get into most 4 year schools. Taking anything less than level one classes makes it hard to get into tier one 4 year schools.

Miami is not going to win the NC next year so why not just play young guys get them ready for 2015 & 2016

RE
AQM Soph
Harris Fr
Jackson Fr

LE
Chickillo Sr
Kamalu Jr
Thomas Fr

DT
Wyche Jr
Valentine Fr
Jenkins Fr

DT
Pierre Sr
Hamilton Jr
Moten Fr

Part of the issue is WHERE the JUCO is. Im betting USC gets more JUCO kids from Cali JUCOs which probably tailor their programs to make it easier to get into Cali schools. In Virginia for example, the JUCO system is designed so that you can move into the state University system after a few years.

Problem for UM is that there arent really any of these football JUCOS in Florida. Most are either in Cali or in the South and they are geared towards the lowest common denominator.

Yep only states with Juco football that i know of are California,Texas,Kansas,Georgia, minnesota, Utah,Arizona, Pennsylvania and New York... I believe Virginia only have Prep schools i could be wrong im going off what i could remember back in 02'

Advertisement

Majority of their JuCo's are from an institution in California following the Cal State requirements which made it easy for me to transfer to SDSU as it wouldve been easy to transfer to UCLA,USC,SJSU,FRESNO ST.,UC DAVIS etc... The juco system out there is HUGE get players all across the country they don't need to go elsewhere. They don't offer scholarships. After you become a Cali resident though school is cheap as ****. Arnold gave them the hook up with all sorts of grants. I dont know how it is now,but it was super chill after i got my residency.

This.

Advertisement

**** no UM is not going to change those policies and standards. UM is working hard to try to move up the rankings and join the elite universities in the country. While I think they do care about football, Shalala and the BOT are not going to slash standards to get in one or two JUCO football players a year.

But do you see Miami somehow changing the standards to allow some of the JUCO guys to get in while still attempting to raise the ranking of the school? I'm assuming that accepting two JUCO football players with mediocre academics wouldn't hurt the school's G. P. A. enough to drop an entire ranking position.

We're in year three and we're in desperate need of Juco D-linemen. Slice it however you want, with sanctions and all, but it's on the coaches and their recruiting/evaluations.

Advertisement
Back