THE TRUTH ABOUT JUCO RECRUITING "STOP BLAMING COACHES"

tonyg502

Redshirt Freshman
Hello All,
As a die hard miami fan and former prepschool and college football player I have to comment on the issues surrounding juco recruiting. The majority of these issues are not the coaches faul so stop blaming the Miami coaches. Juco colleges are built more in regards to a credit and hour system in contrast to a weighted full academic system which heavily weighs each course the credit hours and GPA. Most Juco are built on a system to keep players eligible to play meaning a certain low gpa and as many credit hours as possible. Most juco coaches have their kids get over loaded with meaningles credits that allow for the player to remain eligible with some room for a failed class or two. Most jucos which are public have a board that makes it mandatory for their level of academics to translate to the majority of public schools within the state. So when you look at the great wealth of talent in these mississippi and southern jucos please know that unles they went to an academic advisor and geared their specific academic track toward entrance into a private college, it is going to be almost impossible depending obviously on the college. Most private colleges will apply their weighing system to the classes and credits that are being transfered. Their is a minimum number of credits each institution sets for addmissions to their school, and for class placement. For the most part about 95% of the time these juco credits onced weighed are always less than the private university credits and therefore these students come up short or have to take extra classes to be admitted. Mind you we havent even gotten to GPA. This is the culture of all major juco sports. Its not the best system. Most juco get away with overloading meanlings credits by stating their mission is to help the student attain an associates from their institution , but the majority of atheletes never attain that and transfer out which they should. Miami is a great academic institution not many junior college classes will survive their weighing system, this is the case for most private colleges. If your wondering how I know this I had juco offers , but my sister was a juco all american in basketball and could not transfer where she wanted to. Three of my close friends and teamates went to major jucos Peal river, College of the Canyons, and east mississippi. So please stop crying about the coaching staff.....

Advertisement
I get that Miami is a great academic institution, but in order to compete against other schools in football there needs to be some equal ground. A kid that's a great player cannot get in here but then gets accepted by other colleges like Louisville, just how do you compete on the field.

I get that Miami is a great academic institution, but in order to compete against other schools in football there needs to be some equal ground. A kid that's a great player cannot get in here but then gets accepted by other colleges like Louisville, just how do you compete on the field.

That's foolish, how can you compare the education and value of the degree between Louisville and the U.

Moderator Statement:

Add value or dont post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good post TonyG. I think my next question then is how does the coaching staff filter and select out players that are both talented and can matriculate into UM? Via academic advisors at the JUCOs? Do they even have the proper access to that sort of info?

Advertisement
very true. School like even a west virginia have capitalized on this system. The georgia board of regents that governs public colleges makesure that kids from juco are getting accepted into state schools. Missississpi state, ole miss except the minnimum amout of credits along with D grades....

So do we have a problem with some JUCOs? Or some players? Because we've had plenty of JUCOs in the past. I'm not going to name them all, but we had them in the 80s, 90s, 2000s, and we've had them recently. I realize we've always had more trouble than big state schools in getting JUCOs in, and we've never been a K-State that takes like 10 JUCOs a year, but are all JUCOs not created equally? Or do our admission standards just make it harder for JUCOs to get in, and it's on a case by case / player by player basis?

Most coaches have players send transcripts to be evaluated for how many credits will transfer and the weighing of grades. This can take months........ Schools like wvu ole miss, georgia auburn, and many more have juco counselors that advise the recruits once a transcript is recieved..

juco admission just like transfer admissions is case by case basis.... I am not saying all jucos but check the academics at the mjaor juco schools in the south. Dont take my word for dont you ever wonder why alabama and others can go into these jucos in the southeast and pull who they want.. I have seen what happened to my friends. One guy played in the juco all star at lb great prospect ended up playing d2 because of this situtaion.....

Advertisement
Hello All,
As a die hard miami fan and former prepschool and college football player I have to comment on the issues surrounding juco recruiting. The majority of these issues are not the coaches faul so stop blaming the Miami coaches. Juco colleges are built more in regards to a credit and hour system in contrast to a weighted full academic system which heavily weighs each course the credit hours and GPA. Most Juco are built on a system to keep players eligible to play meaning a certain low gpa and as many credit hours as possible. Most juco coaches have their kids get over loaded with meaningles credits that allow for the player to remain eligible with some room for a failed class or two. Most jucos which are public have a board that makes it mandatory for their level of academics to translate to the majority of public schools within the state. So when you look at the great wealth of talent in these mississippi and southern jucos please know that unles they went to an academic advisor and geared their specific academic track toward entrance into a private college, it is going to be almost impossible depending obviously on the college. Most private colleges will apply their weighing system to the classes and credits that are being transfered. Their is a minimum number of credits each institution sets for addmissions to their school, and for class placement. For the most part about 95% of the time these juco credits onced weighed are always less than the private university credits and therefore these students come up short or have to take extra classes to be admitted. Mind you we havent even gotten to GPA. This is the culture of all major juco sports. Its not the best system. Most juco get away with overloading meanlings credits by stating their mission is to help the student attain an associates from their institution , but the majority of atheletes never attain that and transfer out which they should. Miami is a great academic institution not many junior college classes will survive their weighing system, this is the case for most private colleges. If your wondering how I know this I had juco offers , but my sister was a juco all american in basketball and could not transfer where she wanted to. Three of my close friends and teamates went to major jucos Peal river, College of the Canyons, and east mississippi. So please stop crying about the coaching staff.....

Exactly what happened with me. I went to Palomar College a JuCo out in San Marcos, California. A lot of institutions back east wouldnt accept majority my classes the main school i was trying to get into was Ole Miss. They were recruiting me the hardest along with Louisville out of HS and they had Eli Manning going to be a Junior and me a Rs Soph. Long story short i ended up signing with SDSU got in some trouble and ended up transferring to a DII school Harding in Searcy, Arkansas where i ended up graduating.

Hello All,

You expect me to take anything serious from you regarding academics with this wall of text and grammatical errors?

My boy and his friend go from getting recruited in the SEC and ACC to playing at WEST GEORGIA........... This happens so much... and no one thinks about the kids it hurts in the long run.

The real issue is these high school coaches ALLOWING their STAR players to play with a 2.0 gpa! How in the world you call yourself a mentor if you're knowingly watching these kids fail in the classroom. We have a committed recruit that is taking the ACT for the first time (allegedly), two months away from signing day (crazy). We have 2015 and 2016 recruits that are already projected to go to juco. How in the world you're projected to go to juco two and three years from graduating? We lose to many talented recruits because of grades in high school. I wish they would raise the minimum gpa from 2.0 to at least a 2.7. Only thing a 2.0 does, is guarantee you will be attending juco. These high school coaches need to show a little more interest in these kids ability in the classroom and not just on the field. ***Especially these south Florida coaches.

Advertisement

Hate to point this out, but you do know the purpose of the University is for an education, and that as far as UM is concerned, being on an equal footing to bring in JUCO football players, on the grand scheme of things, means dittley **** with the University? Basing your overall admission standards for the purpose of football will absolutely never happen at the University of Miami, or other true institutions of true higher learning.

mirvin88
sorry that I was typing fast and didnt consider the grammatical errors but if you really want to be a hardass I have two diplomas one in biochemistry/molecular bio , and the other is from Johns Hopkins in clinical investigation. I study rare cerebral disease for a living its actually called adrenoleukodystophy ever heard of it SMART ***.......
Have you read some of the other stuff on here... Wow smh

Advertisement
The loss of juco players is on UM's admissions, not the coaches. As Dolpterry mentioned in post #2 is what really bother's me. Why is it that UM will admit high school graduates based on the NCAA minimum standards if they're coming in on an athletic scholarship yet they won't make that equation for juco kids. Normally its not too much of a problem but due to two horrible coaching hires and the NCAA investigation mess, we're in need of juco kids. We shouldnt be recruiting juco kids normally.

tonyg,
If you're new to posting in an online forum, I'll suggest that you work in some paragraph breaks. Even if you dont change subjects, hit the enter button every 3 or 4 sentences to make it more readable. You'll get better responses to your threads.

Thanks for the advice.. new to this.. Just wanted to share some thoughts that I know are concrete

tonyg,
If you're new to posting in an online forum, I'll suggest that you work in some paragraph breaks. Even if you dont change subjects, hit the enter button every 3 or 4 sentences to make it more readable. You'll get better responses to your threads.

What

The

Heck

Are

You

Talking

About.

Advertisement
Back