The truth about Jarren Williams...

15/34 44% for 215 yards 1 TD 0 INT, in his first road start (even after 3 previous games) behind an OL with multiple All-Americans.
Went on to throw for 58% completion rate, 86 career touchdowns vs 26 INTs.

Guy's name was Ken Dorsey.

I think a ton of fans made up their minds prior to the first snap. I don’t know how you can come to a rational conclusion that the RFrosh played bad under the circumstances - especially considering the dropped TDs, poor blocking, average PCing, and other dropped passes.

Advertisement
Lol This board has a mentality of a fan base that hasn’t won anything in 15+ years. He was celebrated for winning a tough qB competition and the rest should be based on results on the field. Y’all are trying to paint this narrative like we should all feel sorry for Jarren “Bc it’s his first year, or the oline is young”... nobody’s expecting to win the ACC this season but we should be able to expect our QB to be able to recognize a running play clock and throw for more than 150 yards and 1 TD in a game.
No one says we should "feel sorry for him", that's just BS. We should understand that for a freshman making his first ever real appearance in a college game, with a bad oline, against a good defense, things are going to be moving extra fast for him. The ONLY thing that makes everything slow down in your mind is EXPERIENCE....something he had essentially zero of until the UF game. If he shows the same problems as the season progresses, then yes, there's a problem. But any REASONABLE person expects a completely inexperienced QB to have struggles and to get better over time. Any REASONABLE person that watched the game saw an inexperienced QB that showed signs of being a really good QB if he progresses like most good QBs do.

Lol This board has a mentality of a fan base that hasn’t won anything in 15+ years. He was celebrated for winning a tough qB competition and the rest should be based on results on the field. Y’all are trying to paint this narrative like we should all feel sorry for Jarren “Bc it’s his first year, or the oline is young”... nobody’s expecting to win the ACC this season but we should be able to expect our QB to be able to recognize a running play clock and throw for more than 150 yards and 1 TD in a game.

Right. We’re asking you to feel sorry for him. Or maybe, I’m asking that we see something as simple as his numbers as they are.. and what they could have been IF Brevin, JT, and Mallory catch his passes. More TDs and more yards. Far better numbers than our last NC QB with a less talented\experienced OL.

The Frosh has work to do. But, the squad supporting him have to do their part. That’s the expectation.

No one says we should "feel sorry for him", that's just BS. We should understand that for a freshman making his first ever real appearance in a college game, with a bad oline, against a good defense, things are going to be moving extra fast for him. The ONLY thing that makes everything slow down in your mind is EXPERIENCE....something he had essentially zero of until the UF game. If he shows the same problems as the season progresses, then yes, there's a problem. But any REASONABLE person expects a completely inexperienced QB to have struggles and to get better over time. Any REASONABLE person that watched the game saw an inexperienced QB that showed signs of being a really good QB if he progresses like most good QBs do.

Yeah, I basically expect his clock to speed up with Enos in his ear, and more experience. Reasonable. Rational. Expectations for a Frosh. I think he’s going to be the goods.

Advertisement
Everybody talks about how young players go through an adjustment where the game slows down for them. Why not extend Jarren Williams the same courtesy? I mean Savannah State was a high school team and he was only in for one series. This was his first start against an above average team with elite defensive ends. The college game doesn’t get any faster than that if you’re a freshman qb.

Yeah, I basically expect his clock to speed up with Enos in his ear, and more experience. Reasonable. Rational. Expectations for a Frosh. I think he’s going to be the goods.
Everybody talks about how young players go through an adjustment where the game slows down for them. Why not extend Jarren Williams the same courtesy? I mean Savannah State was a high school team and he was only in for one series. This was his first start against an above average team with elite defensive ends. The college game doesn’t get any faster than that if you’re a freshman qb.
Exactly. Experience and more reps changes everything. To give a simplistic comparison, it's like when my son challenges me to play against him in one of his new sports video games. He's already played multiple times. I've never played. The first few times, there are so many moving parts, so much chaos, animated figures flying all around the screen, that everything seems to be moving at crazy speeds and I can't keep up. I play a few more times, it gets better. A few more, even better, and before long I'm now beating him at the game, because it's completely slowed down in my mind and instead of chaos everything is far more manageable and my brain is better able to process everything that's going on.

That was His first start... He showed a lot of good things and will only get better. I’m encouraged on Jarren Williams for sure and that’s our guy period

Wait. You mean a RS Freshman in his first collegiate start in a rivalry game on prime time TV wasn't supposed to be a Heisman contender after the first week? That's ludicrous.

Advertisement
Exactly. Experience and more reps change everything. To give a simplistic comparison, it's like when my son challenges me to play against him in one of his new sports video games. He's already played multiple times. I've never played. The first few times, there are so many moving parts, so much chaos, animated figures flying all around the screen, that everything seems to be moving at crazy speeds and I can't keep up. I play a few more times, it gets better. A few more, even better, and before long I'm now beating him at the game because it's completely slowed down in my mind and instead of chaos everything is far more manageable and my brain is better able to process everything that's going on.

I'm thinking people are having visions of Sunshine up there in SC, and somehow they think that's how every Frosh will perform (IF) he's any good. It's ridiculous. If Sunshine were eligible to be drafted after his first year, he would have been selected by everybody at Number 1 - except for maybe KK at Arizona. The kid is a different breed. He and Tua are the (Frosh) exception. Not the norm.

Others have to be developed. Go through the growing pains.

I think our OC & JW have the pedigree to make that journey. Time will tell. But, after watching the game over, and over, and over - I really like JW's potential.

OP must have lots of time on his hands. Maybe he could go back through all Miami starting QBs starting with Kelly, do the same analysis and draw up some comparison charts and ranking. Otherwise this crap is meaningless. We always threw screens and under Erickson short passes were mainstay of his offense. Jarren did not win the game and that is the problem.

Dude was under center on 2nd & 21 and had 2 guys in his face within a second of receiving the ball but yeah, it's all his fault.

Advertisement
Right. We’re asking you to feel sorry for him. Or maybe, I’m asking that we see something as simple as his numbers as they are.. and what they could have been IF Brevin, JT, and Mallory catch his passes. More TDs and more yards. Far better numbers than our last NC QB with a less talented\experienced OL.

The Frosh has work to do. But, the squad supporting him have to do their part. That’s the expectation.

well said. Yes, he has stuff to clean up. so does everyone - offense and defense AND the coaching staff. There is plenty everyone could have done which may have resulted in a win.

I think the larger point is that in his first game he had what it took to win the game if a few guys didnt lay absolute eggs. Not only that his completion % was above 65%. Wonder how that ranks in Miami QBS this decade?

If anyone thinks that this team is built to need a freshman QB to come in and put the team on his back to win they really don't understand the game.

65% and zero ints is MFN brilliant for a freshman QB on the road against a top 10 ranked team. 10 sacks and zero ints. Think about that for a second.

This thread is so like our new generation. See only what you want and bend the truth wherever you like to fill your narrative and walk away like you did something great.

well said. Yes, he has stuff to clean up. so does everyone - offense and defense AND the coaching staff. There is plenty everyone could have done which may have resulted in a win.

Absolutely. As Manny said, every position took part in us losing that game. If we catch the balls, make the tackles, and make the FGs, we win - and the sacks wouldn't matter.

Advertisement
This is UM. National championships are the bar....

So tired of this sentiment. Just because Miami was cutting-edge and dominated in the 1980s, the early 1990s and for a few years in the early 2000s—that has zero to do with 2019. The Canes won five national titles and haven't sniffed one in almost two decades.

That whole "national championships are the bar" was allowed to be uttered for the last time around 1992, when the Canes had won four in a decade (1983, 1987, 1989, 1991) and left others on the field, or was in true contention for one on several other occasions (1985; Sugar loss to Tennessee, 1986; Fiesta loss to Penn State, 1988; robbed in South Bend, 1990; loss to BYU in opener cost Canes title shot as Colorado beat Notre Dame in OB, 1992; rolled by Bama in Sugar.)

Dating back to 1992—27 YEARS AGO—the Canes have only picked up ONE national title. Championships USED to be the bar, but when you've one ONCE in 27 years, you can't claim that sh*t anymore and have to re-earn the right.

Fans need to stop living in the past. Canes need to worry about taking care of rivals, winning the Coastal and competing for an ACC Championship every year. Do that and you'll be in the title hunt.

Notre Dame has 11 national championships—winning seven over a 34-year span between 1943 and 1977; and we'd laugh our asses off if they played the "national championships are the bar" card, as they've won one in the past three decades; 1988.

As much as it sucks, the Canes are a has-been until they can start winning big again. Brand is strong and Diaz seems to be the right hire after four bad ones in a row—but you absolutely cannot keep judging this program in the modern era by standards set—and proven—four decades ago.

His completions BTLOS were accurate except one screen, and allowed receivers to run. Haven’t had that since Dorsey...Kay’s was fine tho BTLOS

I think the OP is being harsh, but as someone who is all-in on the JW15 bandwagon, the game vs Florida has to be his absolute floor(in terms of performance) and he does have to be significantly better down the line.

Enos basically stated that a couple of days ago

Advertisement
Back